Thread: Fusion Splicer recomendations

Thanks

Default Fusion Splicer recomendations

My mate has asked me to inquire into this fusion splicer. He has cabled his business with fibre. Approxamatly 10 connections to tails will be needed at the moment. The quote from an IT company just to do the joints was extremely expensive. The 10 joints will cost more than a splicer. He will need to do a lot more joins at a later date. It will be far cheaper to buy a fusion splicer than to continually call out a technition. We estamate around 100 joins eventually over a 12 month period. I have previous experiance 2 years ago with a brand of splicer that i cannot recall the name of. It was not rocket science to do the joints but my experiance is limited and i would have no idea of machine recomendations. After a bit of reasearch the below is looking like it will suffice. Could somebody please advise their personal views based on previous experiance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to statesmanjeff For This Useful Post:

amayzen (26-01-16)

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

I've not used that unit personally, but I used Fujikura's for a while. The unit you listed seems to cover all of the requirements. I realize your post was a while ago, if you went this route, how'd it go?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

The thread is a couple of months old, so the OP may have obtained one by now.

The splicer in the ebay listing appears to me to be manually operated... it just says auto 'focus' not automatic fusion splicing.

A decent auto fusion splicer typically costs around $10k - $15k for single fibre units.... much more for ribbon type.

If the above is truly a motorized auto aligning splicer, it's a good price.... providing the splices it produces are high quality.

+1 for Fujikura... they are widely used in the industry.

Many companies hire fusion splicers for around $200 per day, so that may be an even cheaper option.

Fibre Optic cables and terminations are required to be performed by licensed cablers with fibre optic endorsement..... just saying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I did a little bit of fibre splicing when I was at tech, back in 2000, with a manually aligned machine. Seemed pretty easy for a few splices. Might get a bit tedious after about 50 though.