Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lappy networking woes

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Lappy networking woes

My home network has two wired connections and 4 wireless devices connected. Owing to a file sharing issue with one of the machines, I started mucking around with some of the settings on the lappy as it seemed to be the main culprit in not being able to access one other machine. Somewhere along the line I've managed to clobber the network configuration for this machine (all machines running up to date W10, BTW).

I've tried everything - the device tells me it's connected to the router but I can do nothing.
    I've deleted all the networking devices and re-installed them. Yet, when I query my router it does not show the lappy as connected even though Lappy tells me that it is connected. The lappy seems to have an assigned IP addy miles outside the range of valid addresses assigned by the router. I'm running around in ever diminishing circles here.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

You tried turning every off and on again.
    I mean, house main switch and all portable devices
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks

I've reset the modem, the other wireless computer and all other devices and they are still working ok. It's only the lappy and that has been restarted numerous times, too.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ok, you will need to start posting address's now
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks

Can't see how addresses will help
    192.168.1.254 - router
    192.168.1.1-20 - are available for connections
    Router is a Billion bipac 7800nl
    Lappy is set to obtain IP from Host - and, until I started stuffing around with it, was working fine and had an IP in that range.
    Now, no matter what I try it seems to always get assigned 169.254.19.15.
    I even changed the SSID of the router to ensure I was seeing the right device.

Premium Member
    Thanks

What happens if you manually address the laptop?

LSemmens
    Thanks

Nothing as even though Ipconfig reports an ip address If I look at network and sharing centre on the lappy it shows me connected to an unidentified network (public) with no network access even though connections tells me I'm using Wi-Fi (office) - As the router is now called.
    A ping from another machine only reports a timeout.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I bit the bullet and tried an in-place install of Windoze 10 over Windoze 10 and it was actually pretty painless. I still need to re-install all my apps as all it did was keep my data and re-installed windoze. One nice thing though was that Windoze placed a Hyperlink on my desktop to a pge listing all the apps that were installed prior to the "upgrade". Many are hyperlinks to the source websites. Very useful

It would have been nice to work out what the problem was but, too late now. I suspect that something altered the policies as I could not re-install TCP/IP 4.0 owing to a policy preventing it. Running HOME meant group policy editor is not available!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Your use of the term "assigned IP addy" in your initial post suggests that you are using DHCP. (Well, to me it does).

I ALWAYS use manual addressing not DHCP, i.e. I allocate IP addresses to each device attached to my LAN.

If you adopt this approach you KNOW what the IP address of each device is. Therefore you have complete control over your LAN. This avoids the problems which sometimes arise due to address conflicts. (Yes, I know that there are those who insist that this should not be a problem with DHCP but in practice it sometimes does occur).

Manual addressing also makes router administration easier (port forwarding, firewall rules etc.).

I have had something like 11 devices connected to my LAN, which is a mix of wired and wireless, for many years and have rarely had connection problems.

The computers are running a mix of Windows (XP, 7, 8, 10), Linux and Android.

It should be noted that firewall, anti-virus, spyware and other security programs, can inhibit network connection and these need to be disabled in total on offending units during fault finding. Restore them one-by-one.

When trouble-shooting network problems, I always attempt a ping, firstly to the router (as it's pointless going further if the router cannot see the offending unit) and then to other units, followed by a WAN (internet) address (numerical).
    If a DNS problem is suspected, always use a numerical address first. If that is successful try an alphabetical address, e.g. abc.net.au.

Oh...and always disable IPV6 in network settings.

Edit: There are many useful little software tools available for trouble-shooting network problems.
    Two which immediately come to mind are Angry IP Scanner (angryip.org) and MyLanViewer (mylanviewer.com).
    NetScan Tools (netscantools.com) can be put to good use on occasions, also.
    Last edited by tristen; 31-01-16 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added info re useful network tools

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

This has just happened to me as well.

Got new W10 lappy last week, set it up, used the Homegroup Network for the first time ever, it set up, connected thru wireless router & worked great with my W10 PC. Networked with the printer, all good.

Now in the last 2 days it's gone bonkers, it keeps telling me I'm not connected when both PC's are on & discoverable.
    It also blocks my lappy from the internet on the shared wireless connection.

First I tried leaving the Homegroup on the lappy & my internet access was restored.
    Rejoined & lost internet & access to the network after 5 mins.

I've also tried closing the Homegroup on both PC & lappy, then re-established Homegroup twice, both times it established the network & works for about five minutes then disconnects, so I have permanently closed the Homegroup on both & I can now access both using the old fashioned Network & password credentials & my internet remains stable & connected.

The only thing that changed is that the Lappy updated to W10 build 1511(KB3116278) as well as the Cumulative update for build 1511 (KB3124262) 2 days ago & the PC already had the build 1511 from November & hasn't installed Cumulative update (KB3124262) as yet but it's in the queue to download & install.

I'll lay a bet with you lsemmens that the 1511 build update is the cause & you have possibly gone back before this build or cumulative patch/update with your reinstall of W10.

I wait to see if yours remains stable if & when it updates?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yep as I suspected a quick & it appears to be the W10 Build 1511 update causing the Homegroup issues.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

The 169.254..x.x IP address indicates that the laptop has failed to get an address from DHCP - that's a default address range that Windows falls back to if the machine does not have a manual address assigned and the DHCP server is not responding.

I know you've probably done this already, but sometimes I get so involved looking for a difficult problem that I miss something that I should have checked first - check that the WiFi switch on the side of the laptop hasn't been bumped to the "airplane" setting.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Well I still think it's a Networking issue that occurs when you have 2 or more PC's/Lappy's on the latest 1511 Build of W10.

Read the links in my post, that's just a few of the many people suffering the same or similar issues.
    It seems to work OK if only one of the PC's is on the latest build, so you can network all you like with differing OS, but put 2 puters, with the 1511 build together by network & they argue over who's the boss.

Now I tried to troubleshoot this as the problem returned after an hour even after I left/dissolved Homegroup & got this message on my lappy..

So I thought bullshit, it was working 2 minutes ago & now it's gone again, WiFi OK, no internet on lappy yet PC has internet??
    Shut-down PC, with lappy right next to it, almost instantly my lappy internet restored again.
    Turned PC back on & still have internet via wifi on the lappy.

Don't know how long; as it appears my W10 PC thinks it owns the network & can block my internet & network access at it's discretion.

EDIT: & yes I did go into my wireless router settings & everything was as it should be.
    I really liked W10 until this point, guess I'll have to wait for the next build to like it again.

Hope you have more luck with this than me lsemmens, as I'm going to avoid even opening the network folder for a while.lol
    Last edited by Tiny; 31-01-16 at 06:47 PM. Reason: editorwordblockedmytextagain!
    Cheers, Tiny

LSemmens
    Thanks

As I said, an in place install fixed it for me. I agree with setting static IPs accross the network, it does make things easier. The first thing I do when troubleshooting networking issues is turn off all security. I do not run a homegroup as when I was running a mixed network (XP - W10) I never got anything resembling stability. IPv6 is alwys turned off as is NET-BIOS over TCP-IP. My problems began when I was attempting to convince my computer to talk to another machine that was available to all other machines on the network. My problems were my own doing. It's all happy again. Until I start mucking around with it again. LOL

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

good yours is going well lsemmens, mine still having issues even without Homegroup.

After an hour or so yesterday the PC appears to close the Default Gateway & shut my Lappy out of the internet.
    Turn PC off & internet is restored instantly to lappy.

I'm not sure how or why it is doing this now?
    Just waiting for it to do it again & see if my old lappy is shut out. This is very frustrating & time consuming.

Maybe I'll do a system restore on the PC to a few days ago before the issue started & that should get rid of the possible registry entries that maybe the cause on the PC.
    As it all started when I was copying some large files from the PC to the lappy. Just as it finished the network crashed/broke.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I had some similar problems last week, but in the end deleted all connections and started again and its all good.

It reminded me how easy networking is these days......I have 3 PC's at a desk all connected wirelessly and all networked and home grouped to each other. All 3 share a printer.

16 years ago, you near needed to be a scientist to do this

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (01-02-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Thanks admin, that's good to know as after removing all network connections rebooting & waiting for things to settle, then starting again; the stability has returned.

No more default gateway lock outs for the new lappy today.
    He says; waiting for the connection to drop out. lol
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

try the old
    start-run \\192.168.1. "pick a pc lan no."
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Thanks admin, that's good to know as after removing all network connections rebooting & waiting for things to settle, then starting again; the stability has returned.

No more default gateway lock outs for the new lappy today.
    He says; waiting for the connection to drop out. lol
    MY problem identified, it dropped internet access out on Laptop again, same with old laptop, then the PC dropped out of internet & when I tried to access the router it went from identifiable as Linksys to unidentifiable network in a couple of minutes.
    Can't access with page does not exist.
    No connection with ethernet or wireless.
    Can't see anything on the network, have tried resetting rebooting the router, I think it died inside.
    The lights are on but no one is home.

bypassed router plugged direct to Sat Modem internet works fine, so here I was blaming the Win 10 PC & Lappy, when it was the router failing.

Looks like a new router.
    Cheers, Tiny

Banned

Thanks

Got a similar problem, last week woke up to find my NBN wifi wasn't working (devoted nbn), but worked on an amysim mobile dongle.Tried everything but still no connection, so they sent me a free router which arrive yesterday. It shows it;s connected, but doesn't work. So re-installed mint and tried again, but still no go, Took my laptop to my neighbours and it worked on their win10 optus wifi, same with my friends mint laptop which runs on devoted NBN as well and it worked.

Now they say it may be the NBN box, which I told them it was that in the first place. Seems today they are so far up themselves they can only think of their pay packet and nothing else. Told me they had no clue about linux, as no one used it and it must not be compatible with their system, until I pointed out I had been with them for a year with no problems ever and their routers are configured for linux.

They finally decided to refer my problem to NBN, which will probably take weeks to get round to fixing it when you consider I'm in Tas and at the bottom of the place.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast