Thread: Project FAX - Commemorating POTS and voice-band modem technology

Thanks

Default Project FAX - Commemorating POTS and voice-band modem technology

The home landline and dial-up modem are not long for this world. Inspired to mourn the loss of, and in some ways, to remember the voice-band modem technology which doesn't work reliably over VoIP in general, I have decided to launch and I would love for you to participate and share in the experience.

If you could send one last fax, what would it be? Send it to me and it will be posted online as a live "fax time capsule". More details at .

Hope to see your contribution!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Pretty cool concept mate.

Thanks

Just wanted to thanks you for this project! Very interesting.

SWISS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lui_gough View Post
    The home landline and dial-up modem are not long for this world.
    Heres something you may find very interesting.

The company I work for contracts its services out to companies that require us to collect data.
    Each data collector goes home at the end of the day and uploads the information from their portable hand held unit via a Hayes 56k dial up modem directly to the clients computer system.
    We have had a few hiccups where data collectors live in areas that have the new National Broadband Network but it doesnt look as though we will be moving away from the dial up system any time soon. Mainly because this is what the client provides us and their system works on.

Personaly I cant stand hearing the sound of the modems dialing in all day every day and will be glad when that sound is GONE but I think its going to be with us for a while yet.
    I still know where there is an ATM in a pub that has a Hayes industrial modem strapped to the back of it and you cant get money from the ATM when someone is on the payphone as they are on the same line.

Until I went to work for this company, I didnt realise just how extensively the dial up modems were still in use and being repaired, replaced and brand new units being bought.

Ive also heard (on TV so it must be true) that the US missile system still uses cold war computers with tapes and floppy discs and to connect the network they have to place the red phone receiver into the audio coupling modem device.
    Aparently its safer than having the system permanently connected to the net.
    If I had a $1 for every time someone mistook me for someone famous,
    I would have $3.62 by now :scratchchin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Have they never heard of FTP servers?