Thread: Stream Sat to Wi-Fi

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Default Stream Sat to Wi-Fi

Are any of the current crop of receivers capable of streaming the received signal, and be controlled, over a wi-fi network?

I am thinking of a remote camp that can receive VAST and 'broadcast' it over a local wi-fi network. (Only one channel at a time) It may need to be done using UDP to allow a few connections.

Hopefully people could receive the channel on portable device with IPTV software or a browser.

Quality isn't a huge issue, just a stable picture. I was hoping the newer 'nix boxes could run VLC, or something similar. That would make it much easier.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Maybe a dreambox dm-800HD. Just turn off webif authentication in the dm-800HD settings, type the ip address of the dreambox in a browser, and download the channel list, it should be m3u format. Then you can watch the channels that the dreambox can receive to any device over the local network, such as mobile phones, etc. If its a mobile phone, I would recommend BSplayer free, and just open the m3u file with it, and it should stream the channels.
    If you want to watch the channels that the dreambox can receive outside of the local network, there is a little bit more work to be done, such as port-forwarding, and altering the m3u file a little bit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to alex1984 For This Useful Post:

Onefella (17-03-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I was thinking of the Dreambox' WebIf server function. Just thought there might be one of the newer Linux-based receivers that could do something similar.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Every E1 and E2 box I've owned for the passed 10 years will do it.

Not sure about multiple clients tho
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-03-16 at 03:50 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Then my old Ultra Plus 980HD should be capable.

Must need a plug-in. I'm pretty sure it can't do it with the standard setup.

Thanks

Default Caravan Park IPTV

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    Are any of the current crop of receivers capable of streaming the received signal, and be controlled, over a wi-fi network?

I am thinking of a remote camp that can receive VAST and 'broadcast' it over a local wi-fi network. (Only one channel at a time) It may need to be done using UDP to allow a few connections.

Hopefully people could receive the channel on portable device with IPTV software or a browser.

Quality isn't a huge issue, just a stable picture. I was hoping the newer 'nix boxes could run VLC, or something similar. That would make it much easier.
    I'm looking at setting it up at a caravan park I run. Are you able to help?

Thanks

I was looking at using a DM800 series and try get DVBLAST running on it. DVBLAST will multicast all channels from a single transponder at once. I use it for FTA inside the house.

However this is far beyond me on how to install it into the OS as all the compiling tools are not included.

• The Following User Says Thank You to cmurrayis For This Useful Post:

Onefella (18-11-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I did get this going with a DM500 and VLC for one channel.

DVBlast looks like VLC has taken it up a notch. This could be handy in remote mines and camps too.

Premium Member
    Thanks

One of the members here, purchased a dedicated HDMI (or Analogue) input to IPTV stream box, that supported multiple clients
    He has posted that it works well.

So in this case, it is not the Sat Box itself that you can stream over LAN or WiFi with, but an external box that takes the output of what ever device you have.
    Maybe that is a more robust solution for those looking for Multiple Clients
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Maybe I am missing the point here but if I am right, the idea is to 'broadcast' a channel (VAST??) via Wifi to multiple receivers but then theres the mention of 'controlling' it via a Network ?
    I gather this will be limited to one channel only but if you allow the multiple receivers to change channels, isnt that going to cause some problems if say 10 viewers all want a different channel at the same time?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Maybe I am missing the point here but if I am right, the idea is to 'broadcast' a channel (VAST??) via Wifi to multiple receivers but then theres the mention of 'controlling' it via a Network ?
    I gather this will be limited to one channel only but if you allow the multiple receivers to change channels, isnt that going to cause some problems if say 10 viewers all want a different channel at the same time?
    It is no different to Pay TV in a Motel situation gordon
    IPTV has been the preferred method for TV broadcast in some new building like Nursing Homes etc for a while now.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

While I dont understand how these CAMs work, at one time if you wanted 5 PayTV channels available in a Motel, you had to have 5 separate STB's feeding into the cable and that allowed each 'Monitor' available to choose which of the 5 channels available BUT at no time did it allow the viewers to change channels on the STB's.

This what I was saying, you can provide as many 'signals' as you want via cable, RF or WiFi but at no time can you allow the Viewer to change the channel from its source otherwise you would have chaos.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

You can you know

But in a Multiple Client situation, it is exactly as you find Pay TV in Motel
    Just IPTV streams give the Property owner more flexibility over the services
    Both in how the Service is delivered (Resolution Options, Tailor Packages to suit different Clients needs, language, etc )
    And more flexibility in what the Clients viewing options are (Fixed TV, Tablet, Laptop, etc)

For a Single Channel as Onefella has asked for, this will do:

Although there are many other options, i'd go with the unit a member here purchased.
    Building a suitable WiFi network to take the load of Multiple Clients is actually a bigger issue
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-11-16 at 02:43 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Smacca (20-11-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    For a Single Channel as Onefella has asked for, this will do:
    Actually multicasting a single channel from a dm500 turned out to be the simplest method. OpenPli has a UDP streaming option that can be received with VLC on multiple devices on your network subnet. I had two wireless devices (laptop and phone) and two wired PC's, all simultaneously receiving whatever channel the dreambox was on.

Having a full transponder bouquet available on a remote wifi lan could be very handy though.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (18-11-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    Actually multicasting a single channel from a dm500 turned out to be the simplest method. OpenPli has a UDP streaming option that can be received with VLC on multiple devices on your network subnet. I had two wireless devices (laptop and phone) and two wired PC's, all simultaneously receiving whatever channel the dreambox was on.
    I remember doing that years ago on Iolite I think. Was surprised how easy it actually was.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.