Thread: How to make better quality avi?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Default How to make better quality avi?

I have several TV shows that I downloaded, they are in avi format, but on my big screen tv, they are very pixely and not watchable, is there a software out there where I can convert them to a much better quality to watch on the TV?
    below is a screenshot of the properties

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

No.

It's not possible to make something better out of what is inferior to begin with.

Get better quality TV show recordings initially (or watch the existing movies on a television receiver with a smaller screen).

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Rick (06-04-16),Tiny (07-04-16)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Unfortunately not really much you can do there, as Tristen said.

What you have is so called 360p which is lower quality than standard definition TV, think old video recorder quality but with pixels so actually a lot worse.
    Anything larger than a 10" screen and it becomes unwatchable.
    There is no such thing as a software (or hardware) that can convert a low definition video into a higher definition because the information is simply not there to display more detail.

You can try Avidemux. It is a free video editor that has a lot of powerful filters including denoising to soften out the pixels but with every attempt to fix it comes the price of detail loss.
    You would have to experiment with the filters and see if it looks a bit more watchable but I doubt you will be happy with that, just looks more blurry without the pixels.

Otherwise try to find a source where you can download the shows with a higher definition. Add 720p or 1080p in the search.

If you are downloading from Youtube with a downloader add-on, click the settings symbol in the video screen (looks like a cogwheel) then quality and select 720p (will have a red HD marking) if that resolution is available.
    Then your downloader (I use videodownloadhelper on Firefox) will download that quality.

I include x265 in the search for TV shows. This is a relatively new codec that creates very small files with exceptional quality. You will need the latest version of the VLC player to watch them. Not all shows are offered with this codec, especially shows older than 2 years unless they are still very popular.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-04-16 at 09:51 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Rick (07-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Yes. The mythical 'enhance' mode seen in movies and tv that can alter a grainy street cam image into a crisp number plate or facial image does not exist. You can't find detail that was never there.

It is the same for avi's unfortunately.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

Rick (06-04-16),Tiny (07-04-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

All the previous advice is on the money. Do you have the chance to download at a higher resolution than 360p? Its been my experience that most TV shows are offered for download at a higher resolution, legal and illegal.

360p is unusual these days...the frame rate is unusual too.

Did it come off youtube? The title of the avi would suggest that.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.