Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nissan D40 Diesel - Water in Fuel $5500 Repair

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

It is a dam shame you have to go to these measures, to keep your Vehicle safe.

But both of these products come well recommended.

Mr Funnel Fuel Filter

Water Watch

Or the Pre Filter Drift suggested.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (08-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And was it an United servo they filled up at? These curry munchers running them down here are in strife same issue water in their fuels
    Just got a text this morning, it was a United Servo!!!
    Not bad Rick

They just got their Claim Form and filled it out
    Emailed it back with the fuel receipt
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Rick (09-04-16)

Thanks

Its a problem with these modern common rail diesels, one drop of water in the fuel and they turn to shit.
    No injection pumps in these but they do run a high pressure pump that are usually multi stage hence the high replacement cost.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loanrangiel For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (09-04-16)

Thanks

Make sure the repairer keeps a sample of the contaminated fuel. Without a sample, it is very hard to prove that it was bad fuel if/when your partner's son or his insurance company go after the servo for the cost of repair.

Funny how it's a United servo, given our household's past experience with them...

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (08-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

United are probably diluting their diesel with ethanol, which is hygroscopic........

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

admin (09-04-16),Rick (08-04-16),shred (09-04-16),VroomVroom (08-04-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Another good argument for an older diesel with mechanical injectors and no computers......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (09-04-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    Its a problem with these modern common rail diesels, one drop of water in the fuel and they turn to shit.
    No injection pumps in these but they do run a high pressure pump that are usually multi stage hence the high replacement cost.
    Hyundai wanted $4000 for the pump alone , i saw the same Delphi part number on Ebay in the USA for under $1000.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I spoke to my Partners son yesterday, he is feeling a bit better now the disappointment and chasing up insurance, hire cars and accom is sorted out.
    The Navara D40 is in the workshop at Alice Springs, awaiting parts to be shipped in.

I suggested he speak to the Mechanic regarding fitting one of the Water Separator's or Pre Filter options mention in this thread.
    I would imagine, that once its all been drained, cleaned and parts replaced, this is the perfect time to fit such a product.
    I'd hate to see him drive off and it happen again

I'll post back when i hear what the Mechanic says about that.
    Seems like the logical thing to do in my mind though.

Maybe instead of the Pre Filters, he should just drop and LS1 in instead

Last edited by ol' boy; 09-04-16 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

That's so disappointing as I know what it takes to prepare for such a trip.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

So how did they come to the conclusion it was water OB, what was the diesel filter like when drained?, if its an insurance job you are entitled to ask for all the old parts back, be interesting to see what exactly has been replaced, adding petrol to a diesel will kill them quick too, A few months ago I went to my local servo Caltex, I parked right beside the diesel pump, my fuel flap and cap clearly say diesel and I said fill her up, the idiot filled my cruiser up alright with bloody unleaded, he said just start her up and back it into the workshop and we'll drain the tank, I said like fk i'm starting it up with petrol in it, you can push it in the workshop, unless your prepared to do a full rebuild on my injector pump and injectors, the owner wasnt impressed with his worker, they drained 90 litres out of the tank, and refilled my bus back up with diesel for free,which was quiet good of them to do that, but it does happen a lot

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-04-16),Tiny (09-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    adding petrol to a diesel will kill them quick too,
    My cousin did that to his brand new Nissan Pathfinder 2.5l diesel only 4 weeks ago
    He drove it home (15k)
    Then released when he got home (it was running rough, obviously it was mix of Diesel in the tank already and unleaded he pumped in)
    Drained the tank, replaced every filter, filled with diesel, started it and it ran as normal
    So i think he got away with that one.

Someone posted a YouTube clip here not long ago of a Diesel Engine running on unleaded, it was actually amazing!

To answer your question Rick, i am not 100% sure how they came to the water conclusion (its just what the Alice Springs mechanic said)
    When i spoke to my partners son yesterday, he said the Navara was running really rough and getting progressively worse after the fuel up
    When he shut it down in Tenant Creek, he said it sounded like it was running on 2cylinders, not doubt why it didn't start again.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-04-16 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    To answer your question Rick, i am not 100% sure how they came to the water conclusion (its just what the Alice Springs mechanic said)
    When i spoke to my partners son yesterday, he said the Navara was running really rough and getting progressively worse after the fuel up
    When he shut it down in Tenant Creek, he said it sounded like it was running on 2cylinders, not doubt why it didn't start again.
    Wow thats interesting OB, so the mechanic didnt show the lad any of the filter or water? or is he just going off what the mechanic said? if thats the case even more the reason to ask for all the old parts back! Not saying this mechanic is shonky, but could be out for a quick easy lazy few thousand $$, but I have seen this happen in this state, this repair if its water could be just as simple as draining the tank replacing the fuel filter adding fresh diesel and a water dispersal additive to the main fuel tank, i'll take a pic later of a diesel filter that I removed from a customers car earlier this week, and it was from a 3 litre turbo diesel jackaroo, also running rough, I drained the tank and got a cup of water and man the diesel filter was a shocker, I blew all the fuel lines out with compressed air fitted a new filter new diesel and the additive,mind you the truck ran very rough for the first 5 minutes, but then cleared and is running like a dream, yet another very happy customer
    Last edited by Rick; 09-04-16 at 10:55 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

mtv (09-04-16),ol' boy (09-04-16),Tiny (09-04-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

My Son is interested in getting a twin cab 'something' by swapping his car for it and I was telling him about this problem and to ask if it had some sort of 'Separator' fitted.
    Neither of us have any knowledge of Diesels and I am a bit leery about getting one.
    He said he believed there was a product you added to the fuel and it was supposed to 'Absorb Water' which I didnt like the sound of even if it does exist.
    I remember a neighbour some years ago had a Diesel 4WD and on the bulk head was a glass bowl and it has a quite pink fluid in it and if I heard correctly, this was a 'Separator' and if water did get into the system, this Pink material floated on it as a visual warning.
    I have no idea if this brought on a light in the Dashboard if water was present.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I will add those D40 are notorious for shitting pumps and injectors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    My Son is interested in getting a twin cab 'something' by swapping his car for it and I was telling him about this problem and to ask if it had some sort of 'Separator' fitted.
    Neither of us have any knowledge of Diesels and I am a bit leery about getting one.
    He said he believed there was a product you added to the fuel and it was supposed to 'Absorb Water' which I didnt like the sound of even if it does exist.
    I remember a neighbour some years ago had a Diesel 4WD and on the bulk head was a glass bowl and it has a quite pink fluid in it and if I heard correctly, this was a 'Separator' and if water did get into the system, this Pink material floated on it as a visual warning.
    I have no idea if this brought on a light in the Dashboard if water was present.
    Some of the newer common rail diesels have a seperate rad part of the filter from the factory with an indicator on the dash. The after market ones can have an indicator fitted too. For what you pay for the indicator on the aftermarket ones, you're best of just double checking when you pull up after a fill.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Gordon,

I've had a 2011 Holden Colorado twin-cab diesel (the rebadged Isuzu D-Max) since new.

It has a fuel filter mounted on the chassis just below the front passenger position, and a water separator in the engine bay. The separator has an internal float which, at a certain level, brings on a warning light on the dash.

Very happy with the vehicle, although it's only done 55k so far (damn this domesticated life!!). Quiet, comfortable, well built, and towed a 23' van like it wasn't there.

I nearly bought a D-Max because of the excellent feedback from existing owners and reviewers, but Holden made me an offer I couldn't refuse (end of model run-out) and the bigger Holden service network was an attraction at the time as we were all over the place towing the 'van. And it was the same damn vehicle anyhow.

The new model Colorado 7 (released just after I bought) is a completely different vehicle though....no longer a rebadged D-Max...so can't say much about that one.

Probably the only limitation some might see (not me) is that it only has a four-speed box - never been a problem for me, but everyone seems to have the hots for six+ these days.

Don't be leery about getting a diesel...greatest thing since sliced bread....just keep that damn fuel clean.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-04-16)

Thanks

Heres the pic of the diesel filter and its contents from the jackaroo I did earlier in the week, got me stuffed how it was still running

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-04-16),mtv (11-04-16),ol' boy (09-04-16),VroomVroom (10-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thats HORRIBLE!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

I've heard about using algae to produce biodiesel.......but have never seen the process integrated into the vehicle before
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 09-04-16 at 06:41 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-04-16),Rick (09-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Tonight i got a call from another friend with a Nissan Navara D40, he is in Derby W.A. tonight.
    He was telling me, he always runs a litre of Metho in a Tank of fuel (Diesel) every month or so.
    That it picks up the water and lets the engine burn it...?

Does that work?

He was also telling me he keeps away from the Independent Services Stations driving up that way
    Saying something about them putting ethanol in the diesel.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-04-16 at 10:34 PM.

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast