Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nissan D40 Diesel - Water in Fuel $5500 Repair

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

Does that work?
    It does, but christ not that much, 250ml is plenty, you OB have the best fores that you produce yourself right at home , every month I add 250ml to my 90 litres of diesel, I do this as it softens the seals in the injector pump to prevent the O-rings going hard and leaking, it also dissipates some waters that may be in the system, but using 1 litre in a D40 thats scary

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    you OB have the best fores that you produce yourself right at home
    Funny, i was thinking the same thing
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Rick (11-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

This stuff seems interesting Rick
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Rick (12-04-16)

Thanks

Ethanol or ethyl alcohol is main constituent of methylated spirits (96%) with added poison to stop human consumption. To say a fuel has water from adding former but is cured by adding latter only makes sense if time is taken into consideration versus absorption capacity. Incidentally, remember school experiment where metho added to water and then distilled was said to be poison free! Wasn,t game to try! Get plenty alc from HB!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Well the old school trick to get water out of a petrol tank was to pour metho into the tank and let the 2 mix.

I wonder if it would work on diesels or if it would effect any pump seals......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I wonder if it would work on diesels or if it would effect any pump seals......
    Doesnt affect them mate, all later model diesels run the Viton seals which are virtually indestructible, older diesels basically ran the standard O-ring seals which are always prone to leaking, the 250ml metho actually aids in softening the seals and reduces leakage

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (14-04-16),peter3535 (14-04-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    It has a fuel filter mounted on the chassis just below the front passenger position, and a water separator in the engine bay. The separator has an internal float which, at a certain level, brings on a warning light on the dash.
    I've got a 2012 4sp auto Dmax, & I was getting a check filter light coming on the dash when I put the boot in. Bit surprised, as the filter was changed 10 000Km ago during a routine service after the same thing happened.

Unlike my other vehicles, I've never got my hands dirty on this one, so I decided to change the filter.

I have no idea what the fuzzy stuff is, the new filter was certainly pristine looking by comparison. The drained diesel was clear, no crap in the filter bowl.

(For the record, I use either Shell or United Petroleum Diesel when in Tassie, because of the discount, currently 8 cpl.)
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    United Petroleum Diesel when in Tassie,
    Both what Rick has warned and the reason for this thread, was caused by United Petroleum.
    From speaking with other motorists with these types of vehicles, don't be lured in by cents per litre of the independents, the rest is covered in this thread.

BTW, the kids are back on the road and are continuing their holiday through South West Queensland the Central NSW.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (25-04-16),Rick (25-04-16),Thala Dan (26-04-16)

Thanks

I have no idea what the fuzzy stuff is,
    That is what we call diesel algae mate,Also makes me wonder if that filter had been changed at the routine service you had?, so how many k's did you do on this filter since the service?, I always recommend using genuine filters

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Antennaman (25-04-16)

Thanks

Here's an interesting read I wouldnt at all be surprised if these united servo's run by the curry munchers are flogging off bio-diesel sourced from the black market

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (25-04-16),Thala Dan (25-04-16),VroomVroom (25-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have no idea what the fuzzy stuff is, the new filter was certainly pristine looking by comparison. The drained diesel was clear, no crap in the filter bowl.
    What did the inside of the filter look like?
    Be a shame to think this is what goes in your diesel fuel rail and beyond.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Here's an interesting read
    That is a really interesting Rick.
    Especially the point about "Cat Cracking" techniques

Thanks

That is what we call diesel algae mate,Also makes me wonder if that filter had been changed at the routine service you had?, so how many k's did you do on this filter since the service?, I always recommend using genuine filters
    Thanks, I've learnt something new today.

The filter warning light came up after a 3K trip through NSW just before the 40K service last year, I was only filling up at hiflow pumps. The mechanic said the filter light comes on when the intank pump can't supply enough fuel for the injector pump, which, if there is a filter restriction, creates a vacuum? in the filter enclosure, which triggers a sensor that brings up the warning lamp.

This time, same thing happened after a 3K trip through central Vic, again only filling at hiflow pumps, just before the 50K service. Didn't get to look at the filter the first time, however, it was changed, a Coopers filter was in place.

Manual says to change only when the fuel filter light comes on. My test is to give it the boot on the Midland Highway coming out of Lonny to blow the cobwebs out, that's when the light was coming on.

What did the inside of the filter look like?
    Dunno, I'll dig it out of the bin later if I have time & cut it open. Guess I'll keep away from United now, I've only used them when I'm in Tassie, & then when it was convenient for me to stop & fill up.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

Rick (26-04-16),xapi (27-04-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Most likely the warning light monitors the fuel pressure after the filter, low pressure relates to a worn pump or a blocked filter.

I have fitted a number of these sensors to high performance petrol setups to save a engine from detonating itself to death, a fuel pressure drop registered can be configured in aftermarket ECU's to pull back the engine into a sort of limp home mode (pull out timing and therefore power at wide open throttle).

Its a lot quicker reacting than waiting for a knock sensor to pickup a engine ping which is already damaging the engine or higher than normal exhaust gas temps that are frying the engine.

Id say diesels use a similar setup to monitor fuel pressure related issues to warn owners of pending problems.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Rick (25-04-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

wasnt the ACCC / Fair Trading or whoever supposed to be going around doing tests on fuel quality? supposedly after the great Tolulene tainting by shonky operators ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Thanks, I've learnt something new today.

The filter warning light came up after a 3K trip through NSW just before the 40K service last year, I was only filling up at hiflow pumps. The mechanic said the filter light comes on when the intank pump can't supply enough fuel for the injector pump, which, if there is a filter restriction, creates a vacuum? in the filter enclosure, which triggers a sensor that brings up the warning lamp.

This time, same thing happened after a 3K trip through central Vic, again only filling at hiflow pumps, just before the 50K service. Didn't get to look at the filter the first time, however, it was changed, a Coopers filter was in place.

Manual says to change only when the fuel filter light comes on. My test is to give it the boot on the Midland Highway coming out of Lonny to blow the cobwebs out, that's when the light was coming on.

Dunno, I'll dig it out of the bin later if I have time & cut it open. Guess I'll keep away from United now, I've only used them when I'm in Tassie, & then when it was convenient for me to stop & fill up.
    If you haven't already done so, I'd be thinking about draining the fuel tank and making sure there's nothing living in there as well.

Also might be worth while hitting the fuel tank with a shot of diesel biocide from time to time.

Not a recommendation (although I do use it).......others might know of better products.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 25-04-16 at 07:45 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (25-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Looks like these Nissan Navara D40 are just lemons

Spoke to my neighbour on weekend, his died just driving it, wasn't fuel, it just got hot, then engine light, then stopped.
    Engine totalled.... $7500 for a second replacement.

Right now i'm speaking to a friend, who's workplace always hires them, and he had the exact same thing happen driving north from Perth (only 1 hour out of Perth)
    Engine got hot (for no apparent reason, wasn't towing, nothing), car stopped, never started again, whole new engine.
    Hire Company not happy.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-04-16 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

BTW, the kids are back on the road and are continuing their holiday through South West Queensland the Central NSW.
    Great news!

There is so much out there to discover.....and they'll have a ball exploring it all.

Only downside...........I'm not out there carrying their bags for them

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (26-04-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I'm not a fan of Navara's either. Timing chain issues, DPF issues.......
    Rangers aren't perfect but I'm very happy. Or look at a Hilux if you want second best :P

...............Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, neighbour has priced up a Ford Ranger, the Navara can hardly pull his caravan anyway.
    30litres/100 when it does.

Another friend opts for his Ford Ranger as a Tow Vehicle over his Toyota Landcruiser 4.2TD
    Towing a 10meter fully enclosed car trailer, with race car and workshop inside.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-04-16 at 08:05 PM.

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast