Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nissan D40 Diesel - Water in Fuel $5500 Repair

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What Thala Dan has posted about these clutches has been concerning me because if its so important to use the 'Dual Mass Flywheel' with a Turbo, wouldnt it be logical to fit one in conjuction of fitting a Turbo ? if not before, during or shortly after at least ?

Maybe its me but you could go forever on a Dual Mass flywheel without a Turbo but whats the risk of having a Turbo without one ??

The problem is that we dont know what type is fitted now and the only way to find out is to split the engine and gearbox which will be a $500 waste of money if it turns out a DMF one has already been installed !!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Wasn't your son saying his current clutch is already slipping???
    Get to a Brake & Clutch place, ask them.... they will know your model and what common problems the clutch/flywheel may have.

DMS for vibration, many remove them and instal SMF.

This might be a good read for you gordon:

Clutch Kit:

EDIT: The pitfalls of buying a Non Factory Turbo vehicle, no wonder he internet is full of stories regarding dramas surrounding them.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 29-04-16 at 06:07 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

A dual mass flywheel isn't something I would consider a necessity for a higher powered vehicle! Manufactures use them for less vibration and people often install single mass flywheels for better reliability because the dual ones can fail prematurely. But if the clutch is slipping i wouldn't be driving it and I'd be seeing that the problem is.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-04-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

you can identify the DMF clutch quite easily , put a borescope into the hole where the release lever goes in and you can see whats been installed

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Dual mass flywheels are a joke. Totally unreliable. Why would you glue two discs of metal together with a piece of rubber and then put the stresses of a modern diesel through it?
    At least ford have seen the error of their ways, I ordered a replacement for my transit. 'Sorry sir, we only do a standard replacement kit for them now' was the reply.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Did someone say DMF?

You cant machine them.

I turn over quite a bit of $ selling manual owners DMF to SMF conversions.

From that point on they can machine the flywheel and just do a basic clutch, pressure plate thrust bearing change as needed, saves them a packet in the future....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (29-04-16),Tiny (30-04-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep, have you seen the price of DMF for the D40..... FFS!!!!
    What ever is in it gordon, get it looked at.
    There are options out there, its all been covered by owners before.

Looks like no end of issues with these Nissan Navara's, i dont know anyone that hasnt had a problem whilst owning one.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 30-04-16 at 06:49 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Its far from published rubbish, they are proven results!guess I could say the same to your link!
    Uh huh

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Just to 'close' this thread so far, My Son had the clutch replaced with I believe a 'standard' one and has been driving it for about a Month and probably done about a 1000 K's by now, a small amount of that has been to 'go bush' and bring home a couple of tray loads of wood, plus one from a local wood supplier.
    Where he gets the wood from is down in a gully and apart from traction on the loose soil, there is a nice stiff slope to climb up and with a hundred kilos of wood on board would give it a bit of a work out.
    I think he said he still had a 'minor' shudder in 1st gear when starting off at first but I havent asked him recently how it is.
    He is total and complete Worry Wart and locks into a 'problem' like a Dog with a juicy bone and worries it, himself and us until something else distracts him.

I have only traveled in it once and that was before the clutch was replaced so I have no idea if it was as bad as he believed then or now.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-06-16 at 01:19 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Just thought you might find this artical by Choice interesting OB, interestingly United servo strikes again

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-04-17),VroomVroom (05-04-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

How ironic Rick
    I have both of them staying with me, and today is the 12 month anniversary their D40 failed to start.
    They mentioned it a few times.
    Much better holidays for them this year
    Than spending 3 weeks in Alice Springs waiting for parts
    Last edited by ol' boy; 05-04-17 at 07:26 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Rick (05-04-17)

Thanks

its a bit of a problem with modern diesels , so Ive taken a step to lessen the impact with my new prado - I fitted a 20 micron filter with water alarm as a prefilter to the factory 10 micron filter , which also has a water alarm. So before any contaminants get to my injection pump they have to travel through the 30 micron filter at the fuel bowser , my 20micron prefilter then the factory 10 micron. Then if they get through all that and the injection pump craps itself the shards of metal wont get through a 2 micron high pressure block filter Toyota fitted at the commonrail manifold. At worst case i'm only up for a injection pump and block filter rather than the entire fuel system including pumps , manifolds , injectors , fuel lines , tank etc like the older diesels.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-04-17),Rick (05-04-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks Rick
    They read the article and are going to join in the complaints process.

They too got shafted by United Fuels
    It was all smiles and how can we help you at the start
    United sent out a form to fill out
    And that is where it ended!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Follow Up Report

Well..... In short, don't ever buy a Nissan Navara D40

The vehicle is back in the workshop for an unexplained noise when the engine is running
    Mechanic first thought it was a Timing Chain noise, he now discounts that and thinks it is from the Diesel Pump.

Either way, it looks like another $3000 down the shitter.

A few things i found doing a Search.

1. These Navara's are well documented to snap in half.

2. The Timing Chain in the 2010+ Navara YT25 Diesel is a heap of shit and will snap

3. The bottom end is not strong enough and will fail.

This guy has a huge range of Videos specifically about the Nissan Navara D40
    You only need watch 3 or 4 of them to know you never want to own this vehicle... ever!

For such a popular vehicle, i am very surprised. They are on the roads everywhere.
    My neighbours blew up with about 160,000ks on the clock, complete engine failure.
    The lads has had 3 x ABS sensors go ($500each fitted at Nissan), his fuel contamination issue ($5500) and now this loud noise (looking like a few $1000 at least)
    All in 13 months time. From a vehicle that is driven unloaded, doesn't tow, lucky to do 100ks a week.
    Even when the vehicle goes it is a heap of shit on my view, horrible clutch, tall 1st gear, underpowered.

Anyway, some of those Videos might be helpful to members or anyone with a D40
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-05-17 at 12:13 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (19-05-17)

Thanks

yep , they dont call them Piss Tin for nothing.
    if it was one or two minor issues with the ancillary items you wouldnt mind too much you can just repair them and keep going. But the block and major parts should be bulletproof.

and its not just Nissan either , search for Toyota 1KD piston cracking / balance shaft breaking / injector failures and you would never buy a used Hilux or Prado.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yes, i had read about the Toyotas also.
    Friend had a D4D, always told me how good it was.
    Wasn't until he bought a Ford Ranger that he told me he had to put injectors in it.

The sad thing about the Nissan faults, is when you go into a Nissan Dealership...
    You get the old "Oh, that is the first time we have ever heard of that" line......
    Then there help and workmanship is pitiful.

Young kids these days seem brain washed they "must have" a diesel dual cab.

"hoes" advice seems to be proving itself, there is nothing wrong with a modern petrol engines today
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-05-17 at 12:52 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

If the injection pump has failed it will be as a direct result of the previous contamination.

While there may or may not be issues with Nissans - the result of contamination will be the same on almost all modern fast diesels.
    Last edited by garrycol; 19-05-17 at 01:32 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    If the injection pump has failed it will be as a direct result of the previous contamination.
    Yes, my thoughts also garry, i expressed this to him.
    It's come at the worst time too, he just settled on his first house and really has very little spare money each week now
    And currently, no vehicle!

After watching a lot of the UK mechanics videos, it could be any number of common issues that cause a loud engine noise.
    So many points of failure and premature wear.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-05-17 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

OB,

A bit OT, but I’ve been having a chuckle for some time over your sign-off,

” If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!”

Some (considerable) time back, some friends and I had an informal 4WD group, based around the Tallangatta Ski Club up on Mount Wills.

There were three vehicles in the group:

You’ll never guess which one had the most recovery rope marks on it

Mine was the Landcruiser (the first of many)…..but I have to be honest and admit the best damned set of wheels of the lot was the little Jeep, seen here completing a rather interesting river crossing:

I think it’s fair to say that they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

As for the “…unexplained noise when the engine is running” in the Nissan….beats me how he can tell the difference…..you can hear the mongrel things coming from a mile away at the best of times.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (19-05-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Awesome pics!!!!
    Thanks mate.... Look like great times, back when it was simple!
    No Turbo's and High Pressure injector pumps there, in fact, i bet all these vehicles still go today!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-05-17 at 03:45 PM.

• Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast