Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Nissan D40 Diesel - Water in Fuel $5500 Repair

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    The sad thing about the Nissan faults, is when you go into a Nissan Dealership...
    You get the old "Oh, that is the first time we have ever heard of that" line......
    Yer. That seems to be rule one for any car dealership mechanic. "We've never seen that happen before".

A friend of mine bought a Nissan Juke - an awfully fuggly softroader thing that I have no idea why anyone would choose. Damn thing kept going in to limp home mode at random intervals. She does a lot of km for work and kept getting the standard line "Nissan say they've never seen one do that" and "we can't reproduce the problem". yadda yadda.

After this had gone on for a while (cutting short a long, involved story) she started to get more than a bit narky about it. We were treated to a regular stream of photos on FaceBook of the thing stranded on the side of the highway in various remote parts of Tassie while she waited for a tow truck _again_.

I did a quick Google search and found a massive thread in a Juke owners forum, started by a guy having exactly the problem she was experiencing and being told "we've never seen one do that". He asked if anyone else had a Juke that randomly went into limp home mode. Cue 25 pages of ranting by other similarly afflicted owners.

She got a new car, but it took a massive fight. How did people resolve these issues without the Internet? Australia desperately needs lemon laws.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (20-05-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

We had an early petrol Navara that was unbreakable. parked it at 300,000ks, it sat for several years and a bloke offered to take it off our hands. poured some fuel down the carby, towed it 100 yards down the road and he drove it home! We had abused it, being tree loppers, we'd have a trailer connected to the back and load it up with bits of tree, gross weight would have been several tons. All you could see coming down the road was a tree with a headlights.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

shred (19-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Must be that time of year, last month my 80 series cracked number 5 bore, block totally useless, sourced a good block out of Victoria, boy is it hard and expensive to find A good 1HD-T block, anyway full rebuild under way atm, total cost a tad over $10,000, i'm far from impressed

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Jesus mate, i'm sorry to hear that!

I know you've already had issues with a cracked piston.
    I was always suspect of buying the 105 Series with a 1HZ and after market Turbo on it.
    Seems some are fine for 400,000k's, others crack under pressure
    Couldn't you find a 1HD-FTE motor to slip into the 80 for the same price?

Here is one for $7000

Or this

Oh sorry, i see you are in the middle of a rebuild
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-05-17 at 10:05 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Rick (19-05-17)

Thanks

That FTE is bloody good value, but I wanted to keep the 80 as original as possible with the drive line, the hdt are a awesome engine with plenty of grunt, mine was just bad luck, the engine rebuilder when he tested the block said he had never seen one like it in his 50 years and such a straight crack

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Must be that time of year, last month my 80 series cracked number 5 bore, block totally useless, sourced a good block out of Victoria, boy is it hard and expensive to find A good 1HD-T block, anyway full rebuild under way atm, total cost a tad over $10,000, i'm far from impressed

I have heard of that before the local ARB guy had one that did it. are cylinder sleeves available for that block?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    I have heard of that before the local ARB guy had one that did it. are cylinder sleeves available for that block?
    After reading around on some of the 80 series sites on facebook it appears that a few have had the same thing happen, yes the blocks can be sleeved, but due to the crack the engine shop didnt recommend doing it. I was lucky a young chap from Victoria read my wanted to buy post and my horror story, he had a really good block, and sold it to me for $500 and that included freighting it over

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (20-05-17)

Thanks

Well the mighty 80 is back on the road and a brand spanking new engine, and she's running sweet, mind you wasnt sweet for my bank balance .
    Anyway not sure if any of you have used Fuel Doctor, after doing 6 services on customers diesels in the last 3 weeks, every fuel filter containing water, a supplier gave me a sample of fuel doctor to try, by bloody oath is that stuff impressive, ive been adding it to my customers cars, and their feedback has been excellent saying their cars are performing much better, so if any member is having fuel issues I recommend you give it a try

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-07-17),ol' boy (18-07-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks mate
    I'll check that out

I also have an older friend with a Nissan D40, he adds 500ml of Metho to every other fuel tank of Diesel, it allows the water to stick to it and get burnt.
    He also keeps a spare brand new Fuel Filter in his D40 at all times.

And to add to the thread, i only found out over the weekend
    The sons D40 that started having issues again

Turns out, the workshop in Alice Springs never replaced the parts they said they had.

The Injectors were rusting!!!! They were never repalced.
    Replace all injectors and some parts in Fuel Pump and its back running correctly... for now
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-07-17 at 11:06 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Rick (18-07-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Never seen a fuel that needed more help!!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Metho has other purposes too Rick
    He must have water in his system

• Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456