Thread: Recording VAST and playback on PC

Thanks

Default Recording VAST and playback on PC

This forum has been a big help to me in setting up VAST and educating on the options available. I couldn't find anywhere where someone has easily been able to record VAST and playback on PC - so apologies if this is common knowledge. I figured it out rather inexpensively and wanted to share so others can do the same. The recordings are not encrypted, rather the hard drive is formatted into a Linux standard and the recordings need to be remuxed. It's easy to do.

The box I am using is a DSD 4121, I make the recordings normally then plug the USB into my PC. The first thing you will notice is that the USB drive wants you to format the drive, click cancel. I then opened a software program called ISOBuster Pro (I am using version 3.6), this program will show the drive and it's contents, the recorded files are in the rec folder and have the .rec extension. Drag and drop your recorded files to your PC. If you try and play these files you will realise they don't work, what you need to do is open these files in a program called Video Redo, (I am using version 5.1), you will notice that VideoRedo can load the .rec file with ease, you can then save the video as a .ts file to your PC. You're then all ready to go.

This process works with SD and HD transport streams, hope this helps. Happy recording!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kendrick For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (04-05-16),th37sk (05-05-16),transit (15-05-16),tristen (04-05-16)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Yeah mate; you stumbled upon what was done already a few years back, thanks for sharing anyway.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Cool, didn't see that! It was pretty simple and the first thing I tried, assumed someone would have figured it out!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post

The box I am using is a DSD 4121, I make the recordings normally then plug the USB into my PC.
    Doesn't work on Humax 1003s data unfortunately, as those are encrypted.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I dont have my DSD 4121 'altered' to use the USB for record so I just connect the decoder to a HDD DV Video recorder and used the AV out to AV in and either used the 'Record Now' option or set the timer if required.
    I just choose what channel I want on the DSD first and leave it on for the recorder to do its bit.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I dont have my DSD 4121 'altered' to use the USB for record so I just connect the decoder to a HDD DV Video recorder and used the AV out to AV in and either used the 'Record Now' option or set the timer if required.
    I just choose what channel I want on the DSD first and leave it on for the recorder to do its bit.
    I used that option as well at first until the record upgrade pack came out.

The pic quality is chalk & cheese between the AV component signal & USB to HDD; so if you want to keep any recordings as in the OP, you will want the option of best quality.
    Not that there is anything much worth keeping on FTA TV.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Interestingly, the file size of the VAST recordings are smaller than comparative terrestrial recordings (when done direct to .ts), some by as much as a mbps. The quality difference is negligible although somewhat noticeable to a keen eye. (file this under 'mildly interesting').

I imagine if you record via component your quality wouldn't be as good but also your file size would be much larger.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Not that there is anything much worth keeping on FTA TV.
    Amen to that Tiny as well as if you wait long enough (like 2 hours on Foxtel, it will be repeated)

Not having tried the inbuilt version via USB on VAST, my comments on replay are limited to USB recording Terrestrially which unlike a VCR gives me trouble when trying to FF to jump any ads etc with it either freezing up or going back to the start.
    So far I havent had any problems when I have taken the HP 80gb HDD I use with it not being acceptable to the TV for playback as I read can happen but then I havent used this method for VAST.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Is there anyway to decode the humax 1003 files?

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jules456 View Post
    Is there anyway to decode the humax 1003 files?
    For what purpose, to replay or to edit to remove ads ?
    I dont know if this still applies but some were having problems playing back recordings on another STB because it was suggested that as there was no industry standard like we had with a VCR so that a tape made on one played back on all, the STB maker was using their own system to record.
    Another problem too is the Broadcasters DONT want recordings made but if they allow it to be done, they put restrictions on the recording system which are not compatible with another.

Thanks

I was just wanting to watch the files. Happy to fast forward through ads! I've got two humax boxes and its frustrating only being able to watch the recordings only on the machine where it's recorded. We are also going an extended trip soon and I was hoping to be able to take the files with me to watch on a media player or iPad.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jules456 View Post
    I was just wanting to watch the files. Happy to fast forward through ads! I've got two humax boxes and its frustrating only being able to watch the recordings only on the machine where it's recorded. We are also going an extended trip soon and I was hoping to be able to take the files with me to watch on a media player or iPad.
    Tassie Devil did a review stating that the Humax has a removable drive; I'm not sure if you can switch the drives between the 2 boxes & still use the recordings made on the other box, however as it is removable you can easily plug it in to a PC with a spare HDD interface, then read the files (possibly with an emulator as above, depending on what OS is used to create them) & hopefully find a file format converter to process them to a usable form as has been done with the UEC above.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by kabammi View Post
    Doesn't work on Humax 1003s data unfortunately, as those are encrypted.
    Oops sorry, looks like kabammi already tried & they're encrypted.

The review is here
    Last edited by Tiny; 19-10-16 at 09:43 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Thanks anyway everyone.