Thread: WIN10 desktop problem. HELP !!!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default WIN10 desktop problem. HELP !!!

Somehow I seem to have done my usual stupid thing and now I cannot access some of the icons on desk top task bar,
    In the bottom left hand corner is the Windows icon but all it does when clicked on is to go from white to blue and nothing happens.
    Also the internet logo wont expand to show my connections to the internet which I need as I use 2 wireless modems and need to switch from one to the other when I run out of Data.
    I cant get the 'Start' panel to show that has all the icons on it for the APPs like Earth, Office, calculator etc and the wide bar with 'Search the Web and Windows' doesnt respond at all.
    To turn the computer off I have to either do a long hold down on the tower power button, use Cntl-Alt-Delete and when that box opens, choose off.
    I have NOT downloaded anything, been to any dodgy sites to be virus'd so as usual I have stuffed up something when pressing the wrong key and I have no idea how to return everything back to normal.
    I was hoping that it would be working ok this morning but its still the same so while I dont care what I have done, what can I do to reinstate everything as it was please????
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 06-05-16 at 01:43 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Have you tried booting into safe mode, then use system restore to roll back to an earlier restore point?

Premium Member
    Thanks

i had a few items with the problem,i removed them from the task bar then put them back

check the settings and see if something needs resetting

Premium Member

Thanks

Please ignore this request as I eventual found where and How too'
    2 reasons for me to answer with a resounding NO, one is because I totally HATE fiddling with that part of a computer and the other is 'HOW'?

Sorry to be so stupid but can you lead me by the hand step by step because I write down what I have to do so I dont stuff it up completely.
    I couldnt find 'Recovery' in Control panel at first until I opened the one called 'All Control panels items' then read and reread the instructions and its now done.
    As far as I can remember i have only ever done a 'Restore' in WIN7 once or twice before and NEVER in WIN10.

I never ever go into Bios or fiddle with settings unless I have help as I simply dont understand what its all about.

Suffice to say it all now appears to be working properly.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 06-05-16 at 03:21 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

glad you have it sorted

you should not be afraid of the bios,if you stuff it up,you then can go back and set it to default and then choose the optimise option

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Bios is reasonably safe to have a bit of a play with... but stay right away from the registry.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    glad you have it sorted

you should not be afraid of the bios,if you stuff it up,you then can go back and set it to default and then choose the optimise option
    OH Ye of great faith in my incompetence to even suggest the thought of my dallying in Bios sends cold shivers down my spine.
    I know of those who have the ability to touch a key here and make an entry there and all the Lights, Bells and Whistles dance in their places accordingly but woe, I am NOT one of those, rather after hours of profanities and much hair tearing I MAY have got to the point of being able to find the Power switch but I am still not game enough to use it........

Premium Member
    Thanks

we all started there,you do not have to change anything when you go into the bios

just look through until you are familiar with it's contents referring to the m/board manual as you go so you begin to understand what each item is

always save the bios before leaving when it prompts you to

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    what can I do to reinstate everything as it was please????
    Gordon, when you overcome your fear of touching keys you can look at some actions I had to take in order to reinstate my windows.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Gordon, when you overcome your fear of touching keys you can look at some actions I had to take in order to reinstate my windows.
    I got lost right after step 1 !!!!

If I had even the slightest amount of problems you encounted, either the Computer would have gone out the window or I would have called in a fellow who advertises locally to fix Computer problems.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

THink of it this way, Gordon, if I asked you to pick up a car from my place, your only question would be "when?" (assuming you knew my address). You'd not think about what brand it was or what all the buttons do. If it started to rain, you'd soon find the wiper switch without even thinking about it. Cars are really no different to computers and we all know what certain cars are capable of or not. If you know a computer is capable of a task, it's just a matter of asking the right questions, just like the car ("where's the wiper switch?" in my example) You might look at all the switches before you find one that you hope will turn on the wipers. Along the way, you might notice the light switch, radio, etc. You didn't touch them, even though you knew what they did, but you saw them. You can do the same in BIOS or any other program. You can look at all the "switches" and identify those that are familiar. Those that are unfamiliar you can then ask the question, "What does this do?" without ever touching it until you are comfortable that you are not going to start Armageddon by pushing that "big red button".
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-05-16),tristen (12-05-16)