Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best VPN servers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

I have never had an issue with BoxPN...they also accept Paypal...

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

I have joined up with Nord VPN after reading through this thread. While I'm still learning about VPN's, it is normal that when going through a VPN, it slows your connection. I have attempted to log onto Austech via Aus and USA servers, and it is very slow to get in. Turn the VPN off, and it logs in straight away. This also happens to other site's I visit. Also, do you guys running VPN's have them running all the time?

Cheers
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    it is normal that when going through a VPN, it slows your connection.
    Yep... normal.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Keith (21-03-17)

Thanks

Definitely normal, you need to remember you are directing all traffic through the VPN. I only run a VPN for some services that I need to run through one, ie Torrents.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01FD using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to irwazza For This Useful Post:

Keith (21-03-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I have joined up with Nord VPN after reading through this thread. While I'm still learning about VPN's, it is normal that when going through a VPN, it slows your connection. I have attempted to log onto Austech via Aus and USA servers, and it is very slow to get in. Turn the VPN off, and it logs in straight away. This also happens to other site's I visit. Also, do you guys running VPN's have them running all the time?

Cheers
    MTV has already answered one of your queries correctly. It is normal for your traffic through a VPN to be slowed. This will depend on the server's available bandwidth. This varies with the number of users connected at any one point in time. Also, the speed of your internet path to and from the server will vary dynamically. NordVPN have a very useful facility on their web-page for checking the current loading on their various servers. (They have more than one server in a country or region).

Now, to your second query. I do not use a VPN all the time, only when I wish to circumvent geo-restrictions, e.g. watching or recording overseas TV programs (e.g. BBC, ITV etc.).

If you wish for total anonymity, you should also check check (1) that you are in fact connected via a VPN server and (2) that you are not leaking your DNS.

To do this, after connecting to NordVPN, go to and read the report regarding your current status.

Incidentally, Windows is notorious for leaking DNS requests but there are steps you can take to prevent this. (See the references below).

From memory, NordVPN provide an helpful guide on their web-page. In case of problems try contacting their on-line help desk AFTER exhausting other available resources.

Also, read the articles at the following web-sites.

There are many other helpful web-sites also. Use your favourite search engine to find them. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

It's also good security practice to ALWAYS use STATIC IP addresses on ALL the devices connected to your network. Although it's very convenient, do NOT use DHCP!

NordVPN also advised me to disable Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) in Network setup.

One other thing...you might be unable to SEND e-mail while connected through a VPN as many ISP's mail servers prevent this for security reasons.

Incoming mail is generally not a problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Keith (21-03-17),LeroyPatrol (21-03-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Thanks guys for the answers. Tristen, thanks for your comprehensive answer. I've been doing quite a bit of research over the last few days and am slowly getting my head around this but didn't know whether to run VPN all the time. Again, thanks for the quick replies.

Cheers
    You can learn alot using Google, and the search button.....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

I don't see any reason to use a VPN for everyday activities....

I only use it when I feel its necessary. I ALWAYS link to my seedbox via VPN, and download that way.....

My VPN provider allows you to connect via their pretty gui or independently via Openvpn to whatever server directly. I use the second option....

Ipleak is excellent as is DNS Leak test
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Keith (22-03-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Default Check out vpn multi-review site such as a magazine (no names - use google)

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I don't see any reason to use a VPN for everyday activities....
    Yep, I second that. Due to the inevitable slowdown I only use a vpn when I feel the need warrants. It's a comfort as I'm sure if authorities really, really wanted to track you they could do it.
    I checked around and settled on PIA a fair time ago. I cancelled after a few months but not because they were not good, it was because my internet speed couldn't cope with the slowdown. Now though, things have changed; I have better speed.
    Anyway with the new data retention laws I decided to go for it and this time I signed up for a year.
    I do remember that Nordevpn were at the top of my list when researching. Don't quote me but I think PIA have more servers.
    Is that a good thing? Dunno really but they flog that as a feature so . . . .
    Several that I looked at allow Paypal too btw so dunno where the guy who said not many got his info from.
    Many also give big discounts for longer subscriptions. As an example, PIA give an extra 6 months for just US$4.00 extra.
    It does tie one down a bit but you can always use one that gives a trial first up. PIA do not do that.
    I also use the vpn for geo location changing for sports viewing. That's my main reason for wanting a vpn but i could do that with a smart DNS too but there isn't any browsing privacy with that. So with a vpn you get both but the downside is the slowdown but that can't be helped.
    philbo

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philbo For This Useful Post:

Keith (17-04-17)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Best VPN Services for 2017.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Keith (17-04-17)

• 28-11-17, 10:43 PM

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12