Thread: WPA2 on Windows XP?

Thanks

Default WPA2 on Windows XP?

I have a fresh install of windows XP service pack two in the machine I have added a wireless card too. I am trying to get it onto my wireless network using WPA2 aes256. I understand that required a windows hot fix however upon searching Microsoft no longer hosts the hot fix required. Anyone know of a site that might host old Microsoft hot fixes no longer supported or some other way I can get this fixed on my XP machine to use secure Wi-Fi?

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Why are you persisting with XP? Is there a good reason why you need it? Ifthat is the only OS you have media for, I'd seriously consider a linux variant as being a suitable. secure, alternative, and, best of all, it's free.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I have a couple of different older software applications as well as an alps micro-dry printer that will only play nice with a legit XP machine. Even running it in a virtual machine leads to problems that i dont want to risk when it comes to loading firmware in expensive radios or running an ancient printer with out of production ink. A real XP box is the only option.

• The Following User Says Thank You to immelmen For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (24-05-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Why are you persisting with XP? Is there a good reason why you need it? Ifthat is the only OS you have media for, I'd seriously consider a linux variant as being a suitable. secure, alternative, and, best of all, it's free.
    .. and SP2 at that. SP3 probably bundles the fix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    .. and SP2 at that. SP3 probably bundles the fix.
    Probably. But the drivers i have for the alps printer will only work reliably on SP2...they stopped making/supporting the printer years ago but it is the only thing available that prints white for under 10 grand. There are good reasons I need this specific setup

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by immelmen View Post
    I have a fresh install of windows XP service pack two in the machine I have added a wireless card too. I am trying to get it onto my wireless network using WPA2 aes256. I understand that required a windows hot fix however upon searching Microsoft no longer hosts the hot fix required. Anyone know of a site that might host old Microsoft hot fixes no longer supported or some other way I can get this fixed on my XP machine to use secure Wi-Fi?
    You haven't cited the hotfix number, but according to the document Configuring WPA2 for Windows XP at , it is KB893357.

If the hotfix you require is indeed KB893357, there appears to be a copy (HotFix Wifi WPA2 - KB893357-v2-x86-ENU.exe) available for download at .

I have downloaded the file and examined it with an hex editor, which indicates that it is some kind of update. Kaspersky Internet Security 16 has scanned it and appears to be happy.

I suggest that you download it yourself, check it for nasties and if happy, install it.

Keep us informed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

immelmen (01-06-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    You haven't cited the hotfix number, but according to the document Configuring WPA2 for Windows XP at , it is KB893357.

If the hotfix you require is indeed KB893357, there appears to be a copy (HotFix Wifi WPA2 - KB893357-v2-x86-ENU.exe) available for download at .

I have downloaded the file and examined it with an hex editor, which indicates that it is some kind of update. Kaspersky Internet Security 16 has scanned it and appears to be happy.

I suggest that you download it yourself, check it for nasties and if happy, install it.

Keep us informed.
    My apologies, im traveling and was tired when I made the OP, but yes that is the correct hot fix. And thank you very much for the link! Its exactly what i was looking for but failed to find with my evidently lacking google skills. Upon returning home I will install and report back. Thank you again for the help.

Thanks

Just to update for anyone who may have a simmilar need: The link tristen provided in post #6 was the correct Hot Fix, it downloaded and installed normally and did exactly what I needed. Windows XP now works with WPA2-PSK AES wireless security. Thank you again for the help and solution.

• The Following User Says Thank You to immelmen For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-08-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I'm glad it worked for you.

Thank you for the update.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Thanks for reporting back. I gave up some time ago so have 2 wireless routers. Newer machines use the WPA2 one and my older XP machines use the old one with WPA. I'll give this hotfix a go as well.

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 30-05-16 at 11:04 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Might want to think about slipstreaming SP3 and the hotfix into a bootable flash drive for future installs....I made a disk image with all the drivers, CPS, etc. that I needed so if I mess anything up, I can save my codeplugs/data, wipe it, and be back up and running in a couple minutes...

• 29-09-16, 05:27 PM

Reason
    do not make irrelevant posts so you can send PM