Thread: Windows 10 upgrade Internet WTF

Thanks

Default Windows 10 upgrade Internet WTF

Hi. Was not sure whether to post here, software, hardware or general chat.
    System windows 7 to 10 upgrade on desktop. Sierra 4G modem connected to Netcomm ADSL2+ AC1200 Wifi connected via ethernet cable to desktop.
    Known incompatibility problem with Sierra and Windows 10 never resolved by Telstra. Crowdsupport - download new Broadband connection manager and follow the instructions. Nothing worked. Device not found. Disconnected modem from Netcomm and plugged into desktop. Still same. Phoned 'you know who' and they didn't have a clue. Go back to Windows 7 or buy a new modem. Now no internet both machines. Have cup of coffee and calm down.
    Unplugged Sierra from computer and reinserted into Netcomm hoping the laptop would work. Still nothing. Removed and reinserted modem and plugged ethernet cable back in to desktop.
    Now all is working!!!!! WTF.
    For your interest only.

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Ain't winders wunderful!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What model is your Netcomm router, is it a 3G18WV as thats the one I had to get when I bought the Sierra Aircard 320U about 4 years ago as the previous routers I had were NOT compatible with the modem.
    I could NOT get the router to connect with the Sierra AirCard and Netcomm had to do a 'Remote access' to get it up and running.
    I have only just disconnected both of them as I am now using the new SkyMuster satellite service and to avoid any further incompatibility problems, I have a new NETGEAR router supplied by my ISP so the Aircard and Netcomm are now dust collectors.
    They both worked over 3 years without any problems I am aware of.
    My Sierra Aircard 320U wont receive the new 700 Mhz band now being used for the 4G service in my local area as it didnt exist when it was bought.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
    Removed and reinserted ...
    ...solves 90% of all technical issues
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Tiny (31-05-16)

Thanks

Ha Ha Ha Nomeat!
    Gordon see above - Netcomm ADSL2+ AC1200 Wifi. After a few technical problems which were sorted by Netcomm support - no poroblems until Windows 10 upgrade. Note!! the incompatibility problem of the Sierra Aircard 4G is a Telstra/Bigpond problem and not Windows. They have known of the problem from the beginning and all they have said is 'We are working with our etc etc'. They provided a manual work around which did not work for me. Not really knowledgeable about all this, but wondered why our laptop running W10 (before the upgrade of the desktop) was still receiving and working OK if Sierra Aircard was incompatible. Can only conclude that Netcomm unit took over/bypassed from the aircard and was communicating directly with the BP site???
    W 10 shows my connection as Ethernet - Local ares connection 2. Still confused, but happy to back on-line, but with only a couple of GBs left, until the 16th of next month.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Tasman, I saw yours worked UNTIL the M/S update which after the trouble I had getting the damn thing to work the first time, I would not TOUCH anything in case it shit it self.
    I also found out the SIM card in the Aircard wont work in any other Telstra devise nor will any other Telstra SIM card work in it.
    One day I ran out of Data (as usual) and I thought I would take the SIM out of my Aldi Mobile and use some of the Data of it, I had done this before using a Telstra ELITE modem without a problem but not so with the Aircard even though they are identical SIM cards, the only difference is one is coloured blue and the other isnt.
    Partly because it will never work on 4G (here anyway) and the exorbitant cost of data (15GB for $110, if bundled $100) and you cannot buy 'Blocks' to boost your allotment, I decided to retry the SKyMuster service whose rates are far better, I get 30GB Peak time for $50, literally double the allowance for half the cost and if I use the off peak time, I have another 35GB to use, making 65 GB for $50 per month.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!