Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RTP and TVE on AsiaSat 5 at 100.5°E move to C9H

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joffaa View Post
    I have 2 motors on my 2.3m dish. One for elevation and the other for azimuth. (I used to track the Russian inclined Satellite Express A2 a few years ago to get 24 hour coverage) Unfortunately one of my superjacks appears to be stuck (cos i havent moved it in years) so I cant adjust the elevation at the moment
    I might later today or tomorrow have a play (No rain) with elevation on Asiasat 5. I have no trouble getting just about anything in CBand from Asiasat 5 at 100 deg East to Eutelsat 172A at 172 Deg East. Back in the Old days I use to have jacks on both for fine tuning on a 4.2M dish as its reasonably hard to get the perfect arc from 100 Deg East to 172 Deg East or even to 180 Deg east. The Parraclipse dish have virtually zero adjustments for (declination).

Talk about Jacks I used with the old dish a 48 inch Jack for Azimuth. Elevation I used a 24 inch jack, The current dish I'm using a 36 inch jack for Azimuth and that's it. Try to buy 48 inch jacks today or even 36 inch ones. Hard to find.
    I maintain my jack on a 3 monthly basis. Everything (bolts, studs) is stainless steel and I give it sufficient exercise.

Thanks

Had a bit of a tweak myself this morning.

Got channels on 3960H going around 9am this morning. I can see that the signal strength has increased in the afternoon.
    I couldnt get a lock on 4040H however later around 1.30 pm transponder 4040H came good.

Last edited by joffaa; 23-08-16 at 03:03 PM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joffaa View Post
    Had a bit of a tweak myself this morning.

Got channels on 3960H going around 9am this morning. I can see that the signal strength has increased in the afternoon.
    I couldnt get a lock on 4040H however later around 1.30 pm transponder 4040H came good.

Yep same here. My elevation was out by about 2mm. Yes that's all. I found the limits either side and parked it in the middle. Tested other sats and it seems I picked up a little from 138 Deg to 115Deg with this minor adjustment. Good to see 3960 is back on.

Thanks

I'm in South West NSW. Aside from lower transmission levels from RAI & TVE, the bulk of problems are from interference in my experience. There is some really good gear out there but can be costly for Italian & Spanish pensioners. Of 14 problem sites, I've solved 12 very well with the Titanium LNBF, the filtered model. They don't have an Australian Distributor so the freight is a killer. The advantage is that less aware installers throw their arms in the air & walk out, by the time you get a chance with your filtered Titanium, they are happy to pay what it's worth!

Thanks

It also seems some dishes are better made than others as some dishes I have got a livable signal on where as others it is a no go as far as TVE is concerned.

It is not due to interference it is just a few db low and that is enough to cause pixelation other transponders are fine.

Also a lot of oldies have had their dishes for ages and trees grown up and buildings have been put up since the dish was installed. They can still pick up 4000H but the 3960H Transponder is a no go.

Rain and cloud last week caused a massive headache...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theslydog View Post
    It also seems some dishes are better made than others as some dishes I have got a livable signal on where as others it is a no go as far as TVE is concerned. It is not due to interference it is just a few db low and that is enough to cause pixelation other transponders are fine.
    Solar outages started in the southeast effecting reception in the afternoon.

For getting a few more db's ....>>
    Last edited by B52; 28-08-16 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks

In instances where I have used filtered LNBFs other frequencies including RAI are also having trouble. These people are in the minority.

Poorly set up dishes are definitely a part of the problem agreed. Often i find I have to adjust the dish to have a win.

On the MPEG 2 transponders you'd get away with an MER of around 6, in this area at least, with the MPEG 4 transponders anything below an MER of 9.6 is a fail. Signal strength typically ranges from high seventies to low eighties at least with RAI.

On the Strong SRT 4922, (for those without meters) quality on RAI mostly around 85, on TVE so far around mid sixties, again, in my area.
    Last edited by delp60; 28-08-16 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks

3960H still ok today although my old friend left a message for me that he did loss it for a while yesterday.

Thanks

For anybody who is still struggling with Asiasat 5 RTP,TVE and RAI... Below LNB does wonders, I used the 515N for narrow.. There's also a 515W WideBand for Vietnamese and other TP's below 3700MHz. The N model seems to cope better in interference areas.

Last edited by B52; 08-11-16 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    For anybody who is still struggling with Asiasat 5 RTP,TVE and RAI... Below LNB does wonders, I used the 515N for narrow.. There's also a 515W WideBand for Vietnamese and other TP's below 3700MHz. The N model seems to cope better in interference areas.

Can you let me know where in Sydney I can buy one of these?

I need it to get TVE on the south coast of NSW. Using an old LNB, a 2.3m mesh disc, and strong STB. The Italian, French, and Asian channels have a high signal quality and all work. For Asiasat 5c/3960/30000/H to get TVE, the signal level is 97%, and the signal quality fluctuates at just below 40% with the occasional spike every minute or so to 60+% for a second so too low to get a lock for tve.

Would this LNB be likely to boost the signal quality sufficiently to get TVE if the signal quality is now just below 40%?
    Last edited by SYG; 21-12-16 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks

You can buy from here in Sydney.

• The Following User Says Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

SYG (23-12-16)

Thanks

Mad electronics at Windang speak to Ronni
    Last edited by B52; 21-12-16 at 06:47 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

SYG (23-12-16)

Thanks

Great, thanks to both of you.
    Last edited by SYG; 23-12-16 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks

Can I bring up this old thread and ask that by purchasing the above LNB it has fixed most peoples problems? I have a 2.4m on AS5 but can't get 3700 V or 3960 H. My set top box will learn them in after a couple blind scans but picture never comes up. I would really want to get these along with the sport feeds that pop up randomly. I'm 100% sure alignment is spot on.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Be aware that some channels on those transponders are MPEG4. See .

That being so, a satellite receiver that is MPEG4 compatible is required in order to resolve them.

Is your satellite receiver MPEG4 compatible?

If unsure, post receiver details i.e. brand and model number so that someone can check for you.

Thanks

My receiver is a freesat v7, which I believe can receive these?

Sorry I should have worded my post better, it really appears to be a signal issue. 3700 and 3960 appear to learn in after a couple of blind scans but signal strength/quality is either not there or fluctuates and picture wont display. My test meter also shows fluctuating signal but wont lock onto the TP. So I believe its either my dish, LNB or something else going on. I have tried a different LNB without any luck. Weird thing was the other day I could actually get one of the sport feeds that pop up and worked fine for about an hour, then all of a sudden went missing. Never had a problem on any other satellite before, seems to be only AS5. Sometimes the sport feeds will scan in straight away with no issues whatsoever, other times I read that they are on xxx transponder and bring up the TP through the receiver, I dont even get even a little blip on the signal bar as if theres no hope of ever getting it... Thanks
    Last edited by Machida; 12-07-17 at 08:05 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Yes, from memory, the Freesat V7 is certainly MPEG4 compatible.

I am aware of at least half a dozen people quite reliably receiving Rai Italia Asia at 3700V on 3.0m mesh dishes using a range of different MPEG4 receivers.

I'm not aware that you have told us where you are located. This information would be useful in helping to ascertain whether reliable reception is possible with a 2.4m mesh dish in that area.

Of course reliable reception depends not only on dish size but also on accuracy of dish assembly, mounting, alignment and LNB(F) set-up/adjustment. (Everything in the chain from dish to receiver is critical for reliable reception).

I have had to re-mount/adjust many LNBs as the initial installer failed to mount and/or set them up correctly.

Occasionally, external nearby interference can prevent/disrupt reliable reception.

I know it should be obvious, but is there clear line of sight from the dish to satellite? Is the WHOLE surface of the dish illuminated by Asiasat 5?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Yes, from memory, the Freesat V7 is certainly MPEG4 compatible.

I am aware of at least half a dozen people quite reliably receiving Rai Italia Asia at 3700V on 3.0m mesh dishes using a range of different MPEG4 receivers.

I'm not aware that you have told us where you are located. This information would be useful in helping to ascertain whether reliable reception is possible with a 2.4m mesh dish in that area.

Of course reliable reception depends not only on dish size but also on accuracy of dish assembly, mounting, alignment and LNB(F) set-up/adjustment. (Everything in the chain from dish to receiver is critical for reliable reception).

I have had to re-mount/adjust many LNBs as the initial installer failed to mount and/or set them up correctly.

Occasionally, external nearby interference can prevent/disrupt reliable reception.

I know it should be obvious, but is there clear line of sight from the dish to satellite? Is the WHOLE surface of the dish illuminated by Asiasat 5?
    Thanks for replying. I am in SE QLD - So you say 3m, I only have a 2.4m which is what is the minimum recommended by satbeams? Do you think this is where my problem is? too small of a dish?

Believe me when I say the alignment/skew is the best I can get it. I have spent a long time fine tuning. The skew appears to very very sensitive to changes.

Can you advise how to tell if it is interference? Now I am 99% sure the line of sight is fine, there may be one small tree branch from the neighbours yard in its line but the dish should be looking many meters higher than it. Im going to try to set it up temporarily a few meters to the side this weekend and see if it improves at all, but im not holding my breath. Ill try to take down some readings from the receiver and compare them on the different TP's

thanks again

Premium Member

Thanks

You haven't told us which channels on 3700V and 3960H you are trying to receive. This is useful information for members to have in order to offer more informed advice.

I mentioned that the dish needs to be fully illuminated in my previous reply. Full dish illumination means that the complete surface of the dish (from top to bottom and LHS to RHS) must be able to 'see' the satellite. If only a small portion of the dish is obscured by tree branches, portion of a building or other structure, it is not fully illuminated. It therefore effectively becomes something less than 2.4m diameter because only a portion of its surface area is being used.

Your intention of temporarily moving the dish as mentioned, suggests that it will not be mounted 'solidly', with obvious implications for accurate alignment.

Before you do that, check the dish illumination by sighting along the edges of the dish to the satellite for the entirety of its circumference.

There is an useful video presentation at , which gives some very helpful advice regarding dish alignment and in particular, how to set up an LNB and its feed-horn and scalar ring correctly.

Interference is not usually 'wholly' present for an entire 24 hour period, but tends to be intermittent in nature.

Now that you have given us your location, perhaps others can comment from more local experience, particularly after you tell us which channels are involved.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Machida View Post
    Thanks for replying. I am in SE QLD - So you say 3m, I only have a 2.4m which is what is the minimum recommended by satbeams? Do you think this is where my problem is? too small of a dish?

Believe me when I say the alignment/skew is the best I can get it. I have spent a long time fine tuning. The skew appears to very very sensitive to changes.

Can you advise how to tell if it is interference? Now I am 99% sure the line of sight is fine, there may be one small tree branch from the neighbours yard in its line but the dish should be looking many meters higher than it. Im going to try to set it up temporarily a few meters to the side this weekend and see if it improves at all, but im not holding my breath. Ill try to take down some readings from the receiver and compare them on the different TP's

thanks again
    I doubt that dish size is your problem.

I am located in NE Vic, and have a 2.3m mesh dish, feeding a number of receivers which include a Freesat V7 Max. My LNB is a run-of-the-mill dual-output Satking.

Both the transponders you mentioned are romping in here...both with signal strengths of 76-77dBuV and MER of 11dB+.......those numbers translate to a pretty decent signal.

And those readings are downstream of a multiswitch insertion loss.

Don't know where you are in SEQ, but just for kicks I plugged "Brisbane" into Gorbtrack, and turns out that the dish Azimuth and Elevation for AS5 are within a few degrees of my settings down here.

Satbeams shows identical EIRP (36dBW) for my location and all of SEQ, and suggests the same dish size of 2.3m for each location.

So, all other things being equal, you should be seeing much the same sort of signal that I'm seeing.

All of the channels on both those transponders are DVB-S2.....so all of the factors that Tristen has mentioned will have to be pretty spot-on for you to receive them.

There has been some chatter on the Freesat forum about some of the Freesat receivers missing out on some transponders during Blind Scan, but, since you are seeing similar results on your sat meter (you don't mention which one you're using - i assume it's DVB-S2 capable?) it would seem that the problem is not an issue in your receiver.

I would suggest that the gear you are using should be perfectly capable of receiving those transponders in your location, and that you should focus on the set-up issues highlighted by Tristen.

• Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast