Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And people bag Macs......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Havent owned a mac in years...don't feel like getting my head around one. Throw in an ssd, and windows runs like the wind so I don't have an issue with it. Each to his own.
    My sister is an Apple devotee and nothing will dissuade her from the position. Which is fine by me. I'll keep using my crappy old Dell laptop which despite being quite long in the tooth still brings up a usable desktop under Windows 7 in a quarter of the time her far newer core i7 with 4Gb RAM Apple laptop takes to get to a similar position. Then there's her stoic "doesn't crash" mantra, which is even more enjoyable as I watch her have to reboot it to fix Skype and restart Adobe Premier yet again because it crashed after her very expensive firewire hard disks (all apple branded of course) randomly disconnected yet again.

Apple computers are essentially PCs these days anyway. Apple ditched Motorola and then PPC completely ages ago and moved lock stock and barrel to Intel. Windows can be installed onto bare Apple hardware, and with a little tinkering to overcome licencing issues, Apple's OS can be installed on pretty much any PC hardware that supports UEFI.

Apart from being locked into more expensive (for the consumer to buy that is*) hardware the difference these days is the OS, and Apple's OSes are not bullet proof. When it comes to viruses and trojans, Windows has been under a blow torch for a couple of decades and while its true there's plenty of nasties out there in the Windows world, Apple's protection systems are laughably easy to circumvent, so much so that they may as well not be there at all, with the only saving grace being Apple computers aren't anywhere near as targetted due to simple volumes of users. If Apple had the numbers that Windows does the miscreants would go after it just as hard.

I'm sure someone will bring up Windows 10's "spying", but don't forget, Apple has been there, done that too.

But each to their own. If someone likes Apple that's what they'll buy. If someone likes linux, they'll erase what ever was on the computer and install it.

*apple has a loooooong history of buying in the absolutely cheapest crap they can get away with, modding it slightly to make it incompatible with the defacto standard, then selling it at a premium. Even from the early days the humble floppy disk drive of the Apple II demonstrates this.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    Apple's protection systems are laughably easy to circumvent, so much so that they may as well not be there at all, with the only saving grace being Apple computers aren't anywhere near as targetted due to simple volumes of users. If Apple had the numbers that Windows does the miscreants would go after it just as hard.
    OSX is ranked third in the usage share of operating systems, almost 10%. That is NOT a small number for worldwide usage.

Therefor with so many Apple haters like you, one would think it would be worthwhile for some to attack OSX but it simply doesn't happen. Maybe not that simple after all.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Actually if you look at it, Mac OS is rated 2nd to M$ OS, given the fact that Most Windoze OS are listed separately means that, although a VIRUS targetting W10 is released it is likely also going to infect earlier versions of Windoze too. Apple still only has less than 10% of the userbase. It still would be better to target the other 90% given that Linux and Chrome only make up 2% of the userbase.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

SpankedHam (17-08-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    OSX is ranked third in the usage share of operating systems, almost 10%. That is NOT a small number for worldwide usage.

Therefor with so many Apple haters like you, one would think it would be worthwhile for some to attack OSX but it simply doesn't happen. Maybe not that simple after all.
    OS X's market share is piddly and is dwarfed even by IOS' (that's Apple's IOS, not Ciscos!) market share. For this very reason IOS devices are attacked far far far more often than traditional Apple PCs. Window's market share dwarfs both, combined so is it any wonder that Windows attracts the majority of the miscreant's attention? No. If this is 'hating' in your books, perhaps it's time to buy a dictionary.

Thanks

*apple has a loooooong history of buying in the absolutely cheapest crap they can get away with, modding it slightly to make it incompatible with the defacto standard, then selling it at a premium. Even from the early days the humble floppy disk drive of the Apple II demonstrates this.
    Apple sourced the cheapest crappiest floppy disk drive known to man, and then proceeded to en-cheapen it further by:

- Removing the index sensor completely
    - Removing the home sensor completely
    - Removing the taut band positioning mechanism and replacing it with a cheap plastic disk and ball positioner that would place the heads in a slightly different position when stepped inwards instead of stepped outwards
    - Replacing the electronics with a cheap stripped down board with cheaper lower bandwidth head amps resulting in higher chances of read errors and lower numbers of flux reversals per inch - ie less data on the disk.
    - fitting a non-standard 26 pin DIP header to that board instead of the industry standard 34 pin edge connector preventing easy use of industry standard disk drives

Then to top it all off, Apple charged the purchaser more for the Apple floppy disk drive than the going price for an industry standard floppy disk drive.

If that wasn't enough a cheap custom (but based on standard GCR, but naturally a bit different) floppy disk controller card was built up using PALs offloading all the heavy lifting to the 6502 CPU in the Apple. Despite it being cheaply made, Apple charged more for that card than a comparable card, for other computers, based on WD's popular line of integrated FDCs that implemented industry standard FM and MFM.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 17-08-16 at 05:32 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Floppy Disk Drive??

Is that how far back you had to go before you found a fault with Apple Macs
    And i think by the Macs, they were not Floppy Disks anymore either
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-08-16 at 05:51 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

I have to partly agree with Ham Spanker that Apple uses cheap crap when it come to the iPhones.
    They are literally held together with sticky tape and I hate to repair these disgusting snap and click things.

... but when I take a MacBookPro apart it is like dismantling a Swiss Watch.
    There is no laptop that gives me more pleasure to take apart and repair. All the stainless steel screws with precise fitted threads and the machined alloy body and all the components fit precisely back together again. None of these bloody on-way plastic clips and bezels that crack or break off that you see everywhere else these days.

Back in those floppy days when Apple was a little homegrown company the IBM compatibles where real Heavy Metal.
    Today a PC is already landfill when you buy it, cheapest tinny stuff everywhere.
    That is where Apple had reversed the trend and there is nothing shame full about using a 10 year old MBP because they where built to last.
    Nevertheless they have had a few design flaws in the past with some of their GPUs but had free replacement warranty even many years later.
    What I don't like are the glued-in Lithium Batteries in the later models.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-08-16 at 10:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

OS X's market share is piddly and is dwarfed even by IOS' (that's Apple's IOS, not Ciscos!) market share. For this very reason IOS devices are attacked far far far more often than traditional Apple PCs. Window's market share dwarfs both, combined so is it any wonder that Windows attracts the majority of the miscreant's attention? No. If this is 'hating' in your books, perhaps it's time to buy a dictionary.
    A billion computers out there, 10% are Macs, that is 100million available for a Mac-attack !
    Come on, do really think it would not be worth it to become famous and successfully manage to distribute a virus through the Mac world and 'show them arrogant Mac users' if it were that easy?

Thanks

What an interesting thread, the original post complains about driver issues with a Toshiba satellite laptop "upgrading" from windows 7. Well I am writing this on just such a machine, oddly the change to win 10 and recent manual installation of the latest win 10 major upgrade went very smoothly except having to switch off all the monitoring and "send to M$" crap that is standard with default settings.
    As has been pointed out earlier Macs and PCs use much the same hardware now, I have a Mac which has interchangeable ram and the same processor as one of my laptops, my only criticism is that the type of software I most use, (for satellite etc) is written for windows. most of this software could be called questionable but other major programs still will not run on a mac, take Phoenix RC flight simulator for example, probably the best software for radio controlled plane simulation yet only available for windows.
    I have read of others having massive driver issues with windows, odd that I haven't noticed any, even with bootcamp and win 10 running on my mac.
    Last edited by crabber; 26-08-16 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks

Apple sourced the cheapest crappiest floppy disk drive known to man, and then proceeded to en-cheapen it further by:

- Removing the index sensor completely
    - Removing the home sensor completely...

... Apple charged the purchaser more for the Apple floppy disk drive
    Having built a CP/M based machine and spent more than a little time fiddling with the BBC Model B back in the day, it was a shock to start work as a technician with an Apple dealer.

Steve Wozniac's genius was in making minimal hardware do amazing things. He really was a genius, but sadly Apple's marketing people insisted on selling the Apple II at a premium price. Under the hood, just about everything was done in software to save $$$ and it impacted performance and reliability.

The Apple II floppy drives were a nice little earner for Apple dealers back in the day. That distinctive "brraaaack" sound that emanates from Apple II disk drives at power up is the sound of the head assembly being smashed against its stop 39 times - all because Woz decided to save 5c by deleting the track zero sensor. Surprise! The engineers who designed the floppy drive actually knew what they were doing when they put that sensor in there. The constant abuse from smashing against the stop made the drive go out of radial alignment. We'd wait until there was a pile of faulty floppy drives, then I'd spend a morning with a special spiral track alignment disk and a CRO re-aligning the floppy drives. Of course, they'd eventually return for another alignment when the continued abuse caught up with them again.

Contrast with the direct drive Mitsubishi drives I used in my CP/M machine. They still work 33 years on and have never needed any attention at all... despite being less expensive than the Apple II drive and storing four times as much data.

The early Macintosh was supposed to be a low cost machine. The engineers sweated blood and tears designing a machine that could be sold for under US$1000, while making Apple a good profit. The trouble was that the marketing people decided that they could sell it for US$2500 - and did!

These days, Apple has lost the "minimal hardware" thing - the hardware is pretty garden variety stuff. However, it is well supported and Apple retain the advantage of being the only major desktop computer manufacturer to build their own hardware and write their own OS.
    Last edited by shred; 26-08-16 at 09:00 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

tristen (26-08-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    ....take Phoenix RC flight simulator for example, probably the best software for radio controlled plane simulation yet only available for windows.....
    A little off topic, but for your info., there is a posting at , which suggests several ways in which Phoenix Flight Simulator can be made to run on Mac hardware (unless it is not the program to which you refer?) using virtual machine (VM) software or Boot Camp.

If you are using Phoenix on your Intel-based Macintosh computer, and encounter any graphical issues or errors on start-up, then please follow the tips below:

If you are using Bootcamp, please follow the steps in the article above titled The following message appears when I start Phoenix: "Error initialising graphics hardware..." to make sure that you have the latest drivers and DirectX version installed.

If you are using either VMWare Fusion or Parallels to run Phoenix, make sure that you have the latest version of whichever system you are using, as DirectX 9 applications are only supported under VMWare Fusion version 3.0, or Parallels version 5.0 or above.

If you are using VMWare Fusion 3.0 and still encounter an issue, please make sure that you update to version 3.1 from the VMWare website now, as this resolves most graphics-related issues.

Boot Camp Assistant is a multi boot utility included with Apple Inc.'s OS X that assists users in installing Microsoft Windows operating systems on Intel-based Macintosh computers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Windows, what a useless heap of junk.

After dragging out a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7, which had a heap of issues and drivers missing.
    I spent all of the last night downloading the current drivers to get those devices working.
    It had No LAN, No Wifi, the wrong Display driver, etc.

Which was ok, as I used it as an Offline PC only for diagnostic work on Vehicles and Bikes.

So after searching and installing the latest drivers, the lappy is now on my network, and after I correct some strange proxy issue, it is online.

So I download Firefox, then Chrome.
    Then notice the screen is all stretched horizontal, after more Googling, I download 128Mb of Graphics drivers.
    Install, machine reboots and tries to install some FreeWare rubbish that is going to scan my PC... (Driver download from Toshiba website mind you)
    After dodging that bullet, now the screen runs at the correct resolution, but it's dimmer than before, and I cant adjust the brightness back to how it was.
    Google that, yep, the common issue with the update.

Then I am prompted to get some Virus Software.... and a bunch of other junk.
    After deleting some other strange program that was running in the back ground, I go to turn Off the Laptop as I am happy with my progress.

But wait......... "Do not turn off your computer, its installing 1 of 12 of Updates".....
    Really?? When did all that download and at what cost to my internet package
    (lucky its unlimited, but still)

Now its been over 1hour of installing updates, then it finally reboots, great I think.......
    But Nooooooo, there is a 3 Stage Service Pack to install and reboot three times... FFS

So another 50minutes plus goes buy..... The PC is still useless, can not be used until I wait... wait.... wait for a bunch of stuff I never even asked for.

So you Mac or "Bits of Fruit" bashers, what are you on about??
    This is the worst experience with a PC I've had since..... Since the last time, a used a Windows based PC

Its still has not finished installing what ever I never asked for
    And I still need to get Virus Software

All this, from just turning it off!?!

You don't get any of this crap with a Mac, let me tell you

Rant over.... until it asks for some random .dll file or more updates.

Rule No. 1, Never turns these things off.

EDIT: Great, its finally rebooted and found the Home Screen, now a pop up says the Drivers were not successfully installed, ba hahaha Windows...
    I have a look, great, there is now No Network, all Wifi and LAN are gone.... what a time-wasting heap of shit

Great Update Windows, you just made every that worked, stop working.
    Back to square one!
    And now the downloaded Toshiba Drivers no longer work or install, bahaha Haa hah.
    And worse, the issue is mentioned on the net....
    What a great product, which comes in unannounced, breaks things, then leaves...

And people say Macs are rubbish.... pfft.

A Mac.... You would have opened the lid, used it and shut the lid... Done.
    I use both. My job during the day has me working with Windows 10, Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012. Linux, Unix. etc.
    My home life I use Macs.

I find both have their place and both are good in their ways. OSX is very locked down (this is where the stability comes from. Apple controls what goes into it) Windows is more open.

I prefer OSX as it is more aesthetically pleasing to me. However, there have been times where even OSX crashes on me. (i do drive it hard as I do all other machines)

The only complaint I have about Mac is as follows

It is WAY to expensive for what you get at a hardware level.
    The hardware is (these days) way behind latest PC hardware.
    A good example of this is the current mac pro. For the same price, you get a monster PC.

However, there is one thing that does annoy me when Mac haters start their spin is... gaming....

contrary to believe Macs are competent in this aspect.
    I have a mac pro (not the trash can, the cheese grater) with a GTX 960 card in it. And I can play all the current games rather well I am very happy with it.

but anyway thought I would put my 2 cents in

• The Following User Says Thank You to bazzy For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-10-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I wouldnt have stuffed around for hours with it.

A mate asked me to try and fix a Toshiba Satellite laptop with issues last week that was running Windows 7 (he got it for free).

I said no, I will reinstall Windows 7 for you though, it didnt take long at all ( I did it while I was having a coffee with him) and everything worked fine without having to download anything (I did ignore it asking to download and install Service Pack 1).

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, i didn't stuff around with it for hours, IT STUFFED ME AROUND FOR HOURS

But i might try your idea and just load an OS on it.
    Haven't touched it since
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-10-16 at 02:13 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks

If you have a copy of Windows 7 or can download it, there is an absolutely brilliant activator for it that never fails.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-10-16)

Administrator
    Thanks

Here is a link to the Activator (you would of course need a copy of Windows 7)

This link will expire in 48 hours

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mtv (03-10-16),ol' boy (03-10-16),peter3535 (03-10-16),Thala Dan (03-10-16),tristen (03-10-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

That disappeared quick!

Restricted Content
    This file is no longer available

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That disappeared quick!

Restricted Content
    This file is no longer available
    I forgot to zip it , it is an .executable.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I forgot to zip it , it is an .executable.
    That'll do it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

The price of doing business these days

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast