Microsoft learnt the hard way that people like buying a copy of Windows and keeping it for 200 years They found themselves in a position of having to keep supplying updates and security fixes for half a dozen versions of Windows stretching back quite a few years, so there is now more of a campaign to get people to stay up to date (such as the recent free upgrade to Windows 10).

Its interesting how well Windows 10 works on an older system, while I am bagging Oceanboy's laptop specs, the computer I am on is similar.

Acer Slim form factor desktop PC
Core2Duo E8400
3 gig Ram
Windows Vista stickers on it (yes, that old)

Bought for $40 (came with a 22 inch monitor) off Gumtree 6 months ago.

Runs Windows 10 fine, I even edit video on this computer and convert transport streams to MP4.

Even better, when I got it, it had Windows Vista installed (nothing else, it had been reset to new). I always advise people never to sell a computer unless they remove or destroy the hard drive and to reinforce this I said to a mate, "even though this is a fresh install, I bet I can find the previous owners photos and files".

30 minutes later, nude holiday snaps of previous owner. My mate was gobsmacked......I securely re-deleted them this time. And yes, it was a female.