Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: And people bag Macs......

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Microsoft learnt the hard way that people like buying a copy of Windows and keeping it for 200 years They found themselves in a position of having to keep supplying updates and security fixes for half a dozen versions of Windows stretching back quite a few years, so there is now more of a campaign to get people to stay up to date (such as the recent free upgrade to Windows 10).

Its interesting how well Windows 10 works on an older system, while I am bagging Oceanboy's laptop specs, the computer I am on is similar.

Acer Slim form factor desktop PC
    Core2Duo E8400
    3 gig Ram
    Windows Vista stickers on it (yes, that old)

Bought for $40 (came with a 22 inch monitor) off Gumtree 6 months ago.

Runs Windows 10 fine, I even edit video on this computer and convert transport streams to MP4.

Even better, when I got it, it had Windows Vista installed (nothing else, it had been reset to new). I always advise people never to sell a computer unless they remove or destroy the hard drive and to reinforce this I said to a mate, "even though this is a fresh install, I bet I can find the previous owners photos and files".

30 minutes later, nude holiday snaps of previous owner. My mate was gobsmacked......I securely re-deleted them this time. And yes, it was a female.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Wow, hows this for time flies :

Windows XP - August 24, 2001
    Windows Vista - released on November 30, 2006
    Windows 7 - released on October 22, 2009
    Windows 8 - released on October 26, 2012

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Stop it, i feel old now.
    Now where was the best Win98se

You think this Win7 is old, all my other PC's run Win XP.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    My problem is, i can not go newer than Win 7 for so many of these Automotive Programs.
    In fact, Win XP is preferred.

If it is not broken don't fix it but here I must extend that to: Vista and beyond BREAKS IT !

Try installing Win7 and beyond on a LAPTOP that has a true COM and LPT port that is required to interface with the electronic equipment I have.
    Not to mention the software demands that later Window versions can't handle.

Creativity is almost dead today. It is all about the consumer who is willing to fork out cash every 3-4 years for something that basically always does the same but in a different more bloated wrapping that requires always more demanding hardware to handle that bloat.

Won't touch Win10 with a 10 foot pole.
    Win7 works for our gaming requirements just fine without the spyware and the needs for weekly (or is it daily) updates and annoying settings changes.
    Gone are the days when a computer did what I want it to do. Microsoft decides what the computer should do and I should also change my behaviour.... spend spend spend. There is none of this crapp-shit on WInXP or Linux and since I completely removed iTunes, my OSX systems are fine too.

OSX never problems at all, just like every other Linux install I have. Why update? When it all works beautifully.
    I just keep Internet browsers updated on those machines that have to be connected.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

You guys obviously dint get the last big update for win 10 took hours for it to start working. I just got my new computer and i couldn't use it for hours cause the updates which Microsoft admitted was bugged. Lucky i had my old mac plugged in and was able to do some stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    If it is not broken don't fix it but here I must extend that to: Vista and beyond BREAKS IT !

Try installing Win7 and beyond on a LAPTOP that has a true COM and LPT port that is required to interface with the electronic equipment I have.
    Not to mention the software demands that later Window versions can't handle.

Creativity is almost dead today. It is all about the consumer who is willing to fork out cash every 3-4 years for something that basically always does the same but in a different more bloated wrapping that requires always more demanding hardware to handle that bloat.

Won't touch Win10 with a 10 foot pole.
    Win7 works for our gaming requirements just fine without the spyware and the needs for weekly (or is it daily) updates and annoying settings changes.
    Gone are the days when a computer did what I want it to do. Microsoft decides what the computer should do and I should also change my behaviour.... spend spend spend. There is none of this crapp-shit on WInXP or Linux and since I completely removed iTunes, my OSX systems are fine too.

OSX never problems at all, just like every other Linux install I have. Why update? When it all works beautifully.
    I just keep Internet browsers updated on those machines that have to be connected.
    If your a gamer like me some games require latest drivers to work proper so you are forced to update. I'm like you if it works don't break it but times have changed and you are forced too.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

I have a dedicated 'gaming' PC (for the family) with Windows 7 and all the new games the kids want to play work perfectly, including my Flight sim in 4K.
    Nvidia still continues to supply drivers for Win7.
    So, I will continue NOT to touch Win10 with a 10 foot pole.
    No dodgy 'updates' that disable your settings and spy on you or steal your bandwidth but are required to fix all the errors from a release made in haste.

Keep in mind that computer motherboard hardware has not improved much in the last 4-5 years, only the graphic cards, which continue to make quantum leaps (for a huge cost) but these
    cards work well on 'older' boards too.

The trend on motherboards is actually to downgrade processing power to save energy.

We are brainwashed to think newer is better but it is often not, unless you might want to think 'Green'.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-01-17 at 01:25 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (23-01-17)

Thanks

I think my biggest annoyance with Windows since 8 was the forced Windows Updates. You can only put them off for so long and then they will download/install regardless. I prefer to have the control over what my computer does.

Thanks

I never include a used hdd when i get rid of my computers. The drive either gets reused in another machine or taken to the gun range! This is a perfect example.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default And it continues.......

Yesterday i bought the Mrs a small Windows 10 netbook (MEDION}
    We spent yesterday afternoon setting it all up, adding her accounts etc and getting used to Windows 10 as the family is all Mac, Android or iPad.

This morning i grab her new netbook and pass it to her in bed.
    She opens it... She is locked out waiting for Windows Updates, after 20minutes she just tosses the thing and grabs her phone.

Well done Windows!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I have actually upgraded my old XP machines to w10, and they all run better than they ever did with XP or W7 for that fact. Sure, they aren't as quick as my newer machines but that is my only complaint. Yes, the updates can take time, however, if you never turn your machine off then it is rarely an issue. My machines usually update and restart at about 3 in the morning whilst I am chucking ZZZZZZ's
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Yesterday i bought the Mrs a small Windows 10 netbook (MEDION}
    We spent yesterday afternoon setting it all up, adding her accounts etc and getting used to Windows 10 as the family is all Mac, Android or iPad.

This morning i grab her new netbook and pass it to her in bed.
    She opens it... She is locked out waiting for Windows Updates, after 20minutes she just tosses the thing and grabs her phone.

Well done Windows!
    Just got a secondhand Lenovo Helix 2gen from Ebay for a reasonable price.
    It is a nice quick little lappy where you can just rip off the screen and it is a tablet:

Woops only one left, I ordered last monday and it said more than 10.

Unfortunately it came with a naked Win10(that I don't touch with a ten foot pole but I didn't say anything about using my finger on the screen) but with a propper licence.
    So I had to spend quite some time trying to make it super safe, should I have to go online for a few seconds to get drivers or something.
    That Cortana spy monster drains 30% off the battery and you can't completely kill it but disabling everything I found got it down to 4%.
    Talk about vulnerabilities, pretty much every app and function in this Windows biest wants to collect your privates and send them to devil knows where and some can't be removed, but hopefully silenced. You never know what low level system traffic they are still sending home, when you are not looking

So I compressed the OS, disabled Hibernation (for me pointless on a SSHD) set virtual memory to fixed 100MB (4GB RAM is more than enough for what I ned this for)and deleted every possible app to free up plenty of space from the 128GB SSD for a nice new Kubuntu 17.04 installation.

I have to say all this tweaking and meddling was actually quite fun, reminded me of the old days when you had to the max out your limited resources.
    I even managed to fully disable updates by setting my Wifi to 'Metered' so all my work doesn't get destroyed.

... then finally installed the latest Kubuntu. It was boring, nothing to tweak or set up. Everything works the way I want it right out the box ...err.. I mean

Anyhow after having a rewarding beer for managing to tame the Windows 10 biest, I tried to get my PIC burner running on it, hopeless because of a stupid DOTNET version I can't download anymore from legit sources.
    I thought Dotnet was backwards compatible but as usual I always THINK too much
    Looks like I will have to use up all the storage I saved (and more ) to run XP on VMware.
    Thats progress

Thanks

OB, because I was in the mood, I found an old external 500GB portable drive to swap and whacked the newest OSX Sierra on it and patched it to run on my old MacBookPro
    It is pretty neat and smooth.
    I had too much junk on the old drive but I put it in the external enclosure as back up where I can quickly get just what I need especially the individual settings(profiles) from the Library/Application Support/ folder.
    Any issues and I just swap the drive back, but I am really liking Sierra and so far all my old and some what exotic applications still work.
    This only works on MBPs since 2008 but there are limitations on some models, all explained:
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-05-17 at 10:00 PM.

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234