Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: And people bag Macs......

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default And people bag Macs......

Windows, what a useless heap of junk.

After dragging out a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7, which had a heap of issues and drivers missing.
    I spent all of last night downloading the current drivers to get those devices working.
    It had No LAN, No Wifi, the wrong Display driver etc.

Which was ok, as i used it as an Offline PC only for diagnostic work on Vehicles and Bikes.

So after searching and installing the latest drivers, the lappy is now on my network and after i correct some strange proxy issue, it is online.

So i download Firefox, then Chrome.
    Then notice the screen is all stretched horizontal, after more Googling, i download 128Mb of Graphics drivers.
    Install, machine reboots and tries to install some FreeWare rubbish that is going to scan my PC... (Driver download from Toshiba website mind you)
    After dodging that bullet, now the screen runs at the correct resolution, but its dimmer than before and i cant adjust the brightness back to how it was.
    Google that, yep, common issue with the update.

Then i am prompted to go get some Virus Software.... and a bunch of other junk.
    After deleting some other strange program that was running in the back ground, i go to turn Off the Laptop as i am happy with my progress.

But wait......... "Do not turn off your computer, its installing 1 of 12 of Updates".....
    Really?? When did all that download and at what cost to my internet package
    (lucky its unlimited, but still)

Now its been over 1hour of installing updates, then it finally reboots, great i think.......
    But Nooooooo, there is a 3 Stage Service Pack to install and reboot 3 times... FFS

So another 50minutes plus goes buy..... The PC is still useless, can not be used until i wait... wait.... wait for a bunch of stuff i never even asked for.

So you Mac or "Bits of Fruit" bashers, what are you on about??
    This is the worst experience with a PC i've had since..... Since the last time a used a Windows based PC

Its still has not finished installing what ever i never asked for
    And I still need to get Virus Software

All this, from just turning it off!?!

You don't get any of this crap with a Mac, let me tell you

Rant over.... until it asks for some random .dll file or more updates.

Rule No. 1, Never turn these things off.

EDIT: Great, its finally rebooted and found the Home Screen, now a pop up says the Drivers were not successfully installed, bahahahah Windows...
    I have look, great, there is now No Network, all Wifi and LAN are gone.... what a time wasting heap of shit

Great Update Windows, you just made every that worked, stop working.
    Back to square one!
    And now the downloaded Toshiba Drivers no longer work or install, bahahahaahah.
    And worse, the issue is mentioned on the net....
    What a great product, that comes in unannounced, breaks things, then leaves...

And people say Macs are rubbish.... pfft.

A Mac.... You would have opened the lid, used it and shut the lid... Done.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 17-07-16 at 02:04 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

DB44 (17-07-16),efab (18-07-16),irritant (18-10-16),OSIRUS (19-07-16),Uncle Fester (19-07-16)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

thats about it
    its mainly the update crap
    win 8 may not have needed all the drivers
    this is why i .dll updated versions off the .net but 7 & even 8.1 now are a joke if you have a older copy
    but if you can complete all the tasks you can have 10 for free ! only for 23 more days though lol
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    thats about it
    its mainly the update crap
    win 8 may not have needed all the drivers
    this is why i .dll updated versions off the .net but 7 & even 8.1 now are a joke if you have a older copy
    but if you can complete all the tasks you can have 10 for free ! only for 23 more days though lol
    Yep, everything you just said there, a Mac owner never even needs to worry about (too busy just using their computer)
    Honestly, why make computing 100x harder than it needs to be.
    I appreciate Windows has to work across many hardware configurations....
    But i have no idea why some people continue to bag out bits of fruit.
    They are light years ahead of the tangled mess of Windows Updates and Incompatibility issues Windows brings to your life.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

It's all a matter of what you are used to. I have just "inherited" an iPhone5 from my daughter. After installing iTunes I had to jump through multiple hoops to even download a simple game. (why does it have the need to store all my well ordered music collection in it's own special repository???) Then my mp3 ringtones would not work without conversion. FWIW, iCloud or whatever they call their version of google apps wanted an 8 character password with at least 1 Capital and Number. My generic password fits that bill, but mister apple did not like that. Eventually I got into it by typing something like "Bloodyappl3sCanGetStu55ed" (no that is NOT it, but words to that effect). As it was, I had to get a new sim for the phone, no problem, job done. Put Sim in phone and turn it on. 1/2 hour later I need to make a phone call. Bloody iPhone needed me to set up 40million things before I could even call out! I'm standing in the aisle at COLES FFS! Here it is 24 hours later and I've finally got some semblance of a working phone. If I'd owned an Android, all I'd have had to do was plug it in and use Windoze explorer to copy most of the stuff I need. I used to have a bit of fruit on my desk, despite the fact that I was working in an IBM dealership at the time (we were owned by an Apple Store) so am familiar with some of the Apple product. Unfortunately with Apples, you do it their way or not at all. Most of industry and business tends to be Windows/Linux based anyway. There are very few areas where Apple still leads the pack, Music Production and Video editing are about it IIRC. The rest of the areas in which Apple would once excel seem to have been largely overtaken by Windows apps anyway. And, Yes, There are Viruses and Malware targeting iOS.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

LSemmens
    Thanks

Pity you aren't nearby OB, I could have had your Satellite up and running in a couple of hours. Even my latest one only took slightly longer than that and that included validating and installing W10.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (17-07-16)

Thanks

I use both pc and mac and even some variant of linux here at home. Of the lot I prefer the mac (not very good on linux), for ease of use and updating if required. Doesn't always have as many programs as pc based but there are ways of solving that issue, none of which are realy that hard.
    Had to learn mac because of the kids at a mac based school and even they enjoy it. Have a 2010 mac book pro and it still runs as good as the day I got it, bhad 2 windows lappies in the mean time and both have been formated and reloaded.
    Agree with you OB sometimes things are just harder than they should be

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

irritant (18-10-16),ol' boy (18-07-16)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    It's all a matter of what you are used to. I have just "inherited" an iPhone5 from my daughter. After installing iTunes I had to jump through multiple hoops to even download a simple game. (why does it have the need to store all my well ordered music collection in it's own special repository???) Then my mp3 ringtones would not work without conversion. FWIW, iCloud or whatever they call their version of google apps wanted an 8 character password with at least 1 Capital and Number. My generic password fits that bill, but mister apple did not like that. Eventually I got into it by typing something like "Bloodyappl3sCanGetStu55ed" (no that is NOT it, but words to that effect). As it was, I had to get a new sim for the phone, no problem, job done. Put Sim in phone and turn it on. 1/2 hour later I need to make a phone call. Bloody iPhone needed me to set up 40million things before I could even call out! I'm standing in the aisle at COLES FFS! Here it is 24 hours later and I've finally got some semblance of a working phone. If I'd owned an Android, all I'd have had to do was plug it in and use Windoze explorer to copy most of the stuff I need. I used to have a bit of fruit on my desk, despite the fact that I was working in an IBM dealership at the time (we were owned by an Apple Store) so am familiar with some of the Apple product. Unfortunately with Apples, you do it their way or not at all. Most of industry and business tends to be Windows/Linux based anyway. There are very few areas where Apple still leads the pack, Music Production and Video editing are about it IIRC. The rest of the areas in which Apple would once excel seem to have been largely overtaken by Windows apps anyway. And, Yes, There are Viruses and Malware targeting iOS.
    The topic is about Macs, not iOS, which is indeed all locked up and only useful once jailbroken.

Apparently you have not really used a Mac because unlike Windows you do NOT have to use it 'their' way.
    You can get rid of iTunes completely, run all the popular and very good open source software that is available for Windows and Linux and even run MS Office natively on a Mac. There are no restrictions and I even have KDE linux components running on a MacBook under OSX.

Windows has become very restrictive, very picky with drivers, resource hungry and full of bloatware I don't need, which makes it overly complicated, vulnerable to errors and attacks and it is not backwards compatible for most of the special applications I need it for.
    The constant need for updates speaks for itself. I can not understand why people keep putting up with all that, plus the need for antivirus/antimalware/firewalls (that are still letting too much through). Virus/Malware on a Mac is a joke.
    Of course websites can cause havoc on any OS thanks to java script. The user(behaviour) must be up to date how to protect them self, not just the computer.

The only difference I see is that there are more games available for Windows but the games and simulations I use are all available for OSX as well.

I replaced Windows with Linux as my main operating system in 2005 when Ubuntu came out and Mac only a few years ago when relatively powerful second hand hardware was available at low cost. OSX is the best Linux distro for me. No more headaches.

...except for all those annoying mates, neighbours and rellos that keep coming to me with all their Window's problems.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-07-16 at 04:46 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

irritant (18-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I have a Mac
    I hate iTunes, never use it, never will
    I have an iPhone, its just used as an iPod now.

Mac as a machine, is brilliant.
    Windows as a machine, coupled with some variant of Windoze, is like trying to tell a 14 year old to do something, all it does is back chat, then refuses, then finally does it, but does it wrong, so you end up having to do it yourself. Thats Windoze.
    And lets not forget, you have to PAY for Windows and its Licensed and all that rubbish with keys etc.

OSX is Free..... Just download it and install, if and when you want, no one forces you too or auto updates.

The real point of this thread, wasn't to bag Windows (as there is just no challenge in that).

But more the endless amount of experts that pipe up to denounce a Mac as some bit of fruit not fit to be called a PC.
    And i would say, 100% of those that do, don't even own a Mac nor have used one for more than 30minutes.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-07-16 at 03:59 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

irritant (18-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Have to agree with you oceanboy.
    I have a mac and about 5 windows computers.
    Turned one of my Win 7 laptops on 2 days ago to update it. It was last updated in march. It is still searching for updates 2 days later even after multiple reboots....it's just disgusting how Macroshaft has crippled the win 7 experience to force you to go win 10.

The mac meanwhile just powers along flawlessly
    Last edited by mandc; 19-07-16 at 03:59 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

irritant (18-10-16),ol' boy (19-07-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thats the thing mandc
    AFter my Win 7 Laptop did all these 12 updates, and rebooted 3 times and wasted 3 hours of life, while i was waiting to use MY computer.
    Then it finally rebooted and now runs slower than it did before!!!!

You should honestly be able to sue Microsoft from crippling your machine while you are trying to work.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (22-07-16),irritant (18-10-16)

Thanks

a mac is like a person who buys petrol when they need it. Windows is like the guy who drives across town to save 0.05 cents a litre. One thing i have noted lately on my macs is the speed or lack of that time machine updates are taking over the network.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Apple is a manufacturer with a product that it supplies updates for. Windows is a product that relies on vendors for driver updates. People expect their windows hardware to be supported for ever!

...........Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

DB44 (19-07-16),tristen (20-07-16)

Thanks

it's not so much running for ever with support, but just to get it to run at times is more trouble than it is worth sometimes.

• The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (19-07-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ok Leroy, so what about Machines that are running fine, then after a Windoze update (that you didn't even ask for), they then no longer have WiFi or LAN?
    Especially when the update happened without announcement, in the background....

The point of this thread, is about those that bag Macs, whom probably don't even own a Mac... Like Windoze is some kind of God OS.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-07-16 at 08:32 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

irritant (18-10-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Havent owned a mac in years...don't feel like getting my head around one. Throw in an ssd, and windows runs like the wind so I don't have an issue with it. Each to his own.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

As far as I know windows updates don't update drivers for vendors products.
    Windows is more widely used and as a result is more widely accepted as opposed to Macs hence they copping a bagging. Bit like Android phones copped a bagging by iPhone users.....until they saw the light!

..........Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Never had any issues running windows on a pc, i think its really the fact that its a laptop which the manufacturers change hardware specs like their undies which makes it hard to keep up with the drivers.
    I have an old toshi that i wiped the hdd and reinstalled XP on but then had trouble finding drivers, luckily i found them on a European site and they all worked - this is a 10+ yo laptop.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I too like Macs.

I don't have a Mac per se, but have OS X installed on a Dell Optiplex 960 (hardware).

We have to be fair to Microsoft though.

Apple have total control over their hardware and therefore writing an operating system is particularly straight forward.

Microsoft however have to contend with many different hardware platforms and this therefore makes the task a whole lot more difficult.

Taking this into consideration, I think that overall Microsoft does a fairly good job.

Yes, the hiccups experienced by the Windows end user, while inconvenient and sometimes frustrating to rectify, are not to be totally unexpected.

All-in-all, I am very happy with Windows 10 and have had very few problems with it, but then again, I have an extensive electronics background, which also includes computer hardware and software, so have a little more than the average level of expertise in the area.

While acknowledging that Macintosh machines generally appear to be trouble-free, they comprise a minority of the computers in the world.

The vast majority are Windows-based and most computer software is therefore written to operate under Windows.
    This is the main reason that I continue to use Windows, although I do have a Mac look-alike (hackintosh) for running a particular Mac-only program on.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Microsoft however have to contend with many different hardware platforms and this therefore makes the task a whole lot more difficult.

Taking this into consideration, I think that overall Microsoft does a fairly good job.

Sorry, from personal experience I have to disagree with you.
    Linux does a fairly good job working over 90% directly out of box with many different hardware platforms, old and new but not Microsoft.

Microsoft expects computer hard ware to match their OS not vice versa, so Microsoft doesn't do any 'good job' there.

I have had a few Asus netbooks that came with Win7 that should never been sold like that.
    It drove the owners (and me) mad and nothing that I could do would make them run smooth. No way to downgrade to XP either as no drivers were available from the producers of the hardware components.

My neighbour gave up and gave me his, so for shits and giggles I tried out a "black edition" WinXP and now it is lightning fast, video driver is spot on, everything works out of the box just like Linux.
    So the community that developed this XP (and still does with regular updates) did a better job than Microsoft.

For those who are not aware of so called black editions: these are crowd (re)designed images of Windows that also come with a suite of software(mostly open source) like a Linux distro and some very clever designed drivers that seem to work on many hardware configurations.
    The downside is that you can never know if there are trojans or other nasties implemented as well.
    So I would personally never go online with it, which I never do with Windows anyhow.

Two Hackintoshes here too. Finding hardware to match is a bit of a hit and miss but when they run they are rock solid.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (20-07-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks

There are also issues with Linux based machines if you happen to use nVidia chipsets, I never could convince any variant of *nix/*nux to play happily with dual monitors running different resolutions on one of my machines. Whilst it might seem that I am anti "fruit" I do see the advantages, had Apple licensed their technology way back when M$/Intel first hit the scene they would have wiped the floor. The Motorola 6800 processor (I think that was right) was a far superior processor than the Intel 808x series processors for many years. It's just that they allowed all and sundry to develop for it which allowed them to gain a huge advantage on price over the Apple product, and, as has already been observed most of the time the "bit of fruit" just works. I,too, rarely encounter problems with Intel/M$ and mostly the problems I do encounter are the nut behind the keyboard. The disadvantage of M$ products is that they allow too much latitude for "amateurs" to stuff the system up. Linux and Apple, here, have a big advantage. Apple just expect you to do it their way. Linux expect you to have a computer science degree to log on (not really, but you get the idea)

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irwazza (22-07-16)

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast