Thread: Linux Mint 17 and 18 wifi connection problems.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Default Linux Mint 17 and 18 wifi connection problems.

Haven't used my Linux Mint laptop in about a week. Logged on today and can't connect to wifi. I haven't changed anything in the wifi config, but I did some updates via update manager last week.

Also I tried loading Mint 18 on a Asus eee PC 1008ha, and am having the same problems. I have no problem connecting to the wifi modem with windows and android devices though.

Has there been an update that is likely to have caused these problems lately? Google search doesn't show up anything meaningful.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Well I'm buggered if I know. Like I said, 2 windows computers have been accessing the internet fine, as well as 2 android devices. I tried connecting via the asus eee pc with a fresh install of mint 18, no good, couldn't even ping the router. Same thing with my toshiba laptop with mint 17, that I had been using fine 6 days ago. I even tried a wired connection from the laptop and still no good. Tried a mint 17 live CD, so I knew it hadn't changed on that, and still no good. In frustration I tried a reset on the modem router, now it works again. Yet all the while the windows machines had no problems...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

I've had the same thing happen a few times, with Mint and Ubuntu. Next time it fails try right clicking on the wifi connection on the task bar and untick Enable Networking then retick it, and see what happens.

EDIT Also go into edit connections and select your wifi connection, go into IPv6 Settings and set Method: to Ignore. Do the same for the lan connection then restart computer.

EDIT2 Ubuntu/Mint has issues with wifi N-mode, so if it's enabled in the router, try changing to BG mode.
    Last edited by mickstv; 15-08-16 at 07:41 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (15-08-16),Uncle Fester (15-08-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Using mint 17 here which had no problems with a bog standard Netgear N150 USB dongle but no-go with an Edimax AC dual band dongle (EW-7811UTC). A bit of searching and installing the correct driver solved that little problem for me.

• 07-09-16, 08:43 PM