Thread: iinet now offering unlimited NBN and ADSL plans no extra cost

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default iinet now offering unlimited NBN and ADSL plans no extra cost

Got an email from them so rang them and upgraded my NBN from 1000GB to unlimited
    should be effective in 48 hours they reckon.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

As usual I would suspect the offer is only for the area your in, like 'Not Available in all Areas'? as I was 'signed up' with iinet to be advised when the NBN was to be made available here and in what form.
    It was only when the 'local' TV News had a report back in April this year advising that there was an ISP I had heard of before, was offering an NBN connection that made me check with them and they advised me my area was now indeed covered by the NBN but it was by Satellite, not cable nor Wireless.
    Unfortunately iinet are not a Satellite Provider so that stopped any ideas I previously had of using them so I cancelled my 'interest' in using them as they did seem to have some interesting offers.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 578 Posts

Yeah what a joke, if you include wireless and satellite then the whole of the country is now "covered" by the NBN, it's nothing more than a cheat to weasel their way out of all the deadlines they've already missed.

If somebody offers me connection to the NBN they'd better be able to show me where the fibre comes into my home!

Premium Member
    Thanks

i have had unlimited a number of times from them over the years

it is not of much use at the moment,when the download speed is absolute crap it like the old dialup days when they did not have enough bandwidth for the customer base

since tpg took over the download has been halved when it is running at it's best

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    As usual I would suspect the offer is only for the area your in, like 'Not Available in all Areas'? as I was 'signed up' with iinet to be advised when the NBN was to be made available here and in what form.
    All that glisters is not gold.

Many, including myself, looked upon Teoh's statement that the iinet stable would be retained as premium brands with scepticism and that now looks justified. Since the TPG buyout of iinet things have rapidly turned to crap.

We've seen:
    - the intricate routing and peering, that gave the Internode domestic and international network its high performance reputation, ripped out
    - network peering at internet exchanges all over the world removed
    - high performance low latency international links replaced with TPG's single point of failure (and it has failed earlier this year) sludge pipe
    - customer support quality plummet
    - free content mirroring etc removed
    - doubling of quotas at no extra charge
    - unlimited quotas at a pittance more than quota based plans
    - blowouts in ping times and massive reductions in transfer rates post introduction of the above two
    - the introduction of traffic prioritisation to cope with the above, something that simply wasn't needed previously
    - perhaps the most damning indication of just how much of a culture change has occurred, the introduction of dodgy prioritisation of speedtest.net traffic to give artificially high speed results (speedtest.net shows all is 100% good whilst you are standing in the middle of a lake of sh*t) - late inclusion: Seems that other speed test sites are being added to the list of tests that give artificially high transfer rates whilst general traffic is slowed to a crawl; simply despicable.

The iinet and internode forums on whinge, err sorry, whirlpool have lit up with speed threads like never before. Internode in days past hardly ever had speed problem threads, with iinet close behind. If you have nbn with an ISP in the iinet stable, odds on you are suffering from severe congestion during peak times, or soon will be. Those on ADSL are generally faring well, but only because the ADSL user base is reducing as people move over to nbn. It's my firm belief that but for this fact ADSL would have gone to hell too.

As expected, Teoh has taken the premium grade operations of Internode and iinet and turn them into an all you can eat crap-fest in the same way it has done for all its brands - including its very own.

The iinet group was making money and standing on its own two feet prior to the buyout.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 22-08-16 at 06:22 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

efab (22-08-16),mandc (22-08-16),shred (22-08-16)

Thanks

yep agree. I'm on ADSL (not adsl 2 as it's not available in the exchange) with westnet and things are the same speed they have been for the last 10 years. So I can't even get the unlimited because I'm not in the right area.

With the way the NBN is going and hearing these stories I hope I can stay on adsl for some time longer. At least I know I have shit speed and it probably wont get any worse than it is now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    If you have nbn with an ISP in the iinet stable, odds on you are suffering from severe congestion during peak times..
    Funny you should say that. I'm now on 50Gb/sec NBN. Ookla speed test faithfully shows that I get 49Gb/sec +... yet download speed is usually much less - even from Usenet, which used to fly back when Simon Hackett was still at the helm of Internode. I've submitted a change request to drop to 25Mb/sec, because the value in paying extra for a faster connection just isn't there when the infrastructure is too congested to use it.

A long running theme with ISPs in Australia has been that if / when they offer an "all you can eat" service, the backhaul gets congested to the point of being almost unusable.

Thanks

Total opposite here. I get full speed with NBN Fixed wireless on Internode, with a great ping also. Also worth mentioning that the tower I am connected to doesn't have a fibre connection and has a microwave link to the nearest fibre connection...

Thanks

All that glisters is not gold.
    Well things in Mackay haven't improved at all so I've disconnected my long standing Internode connection today and am now using Aussie Broadband. I've had it live for a couple of weeks in parallel with Internode in case Aussie turned out to be junk. It hasn't. Speed has been pretty good around the clock reaching 90%+ of my nbn speed tier. It's not as a technically superior service as Internode used to be but it's good enough for me.

It was a toss up between Optus, Telstra, Aussie Broadband and Skymesh. Skymesh seems to have international speed problems, so that crossed them of the list. If Aussie Broadband turns to mush I might give Optus a whirl. If I really have to I'll go to Telstra but that would be like crawling over broken glass.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 01-11-16 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

telstra rang me today to check on my you beaut 2 day old nbn 25 mbps
    i declined the 50 mb he offered me at a extra cost of course as i told him the 25 is actually 20-22 at best
    was 22 anyway about a hour ago

ps. i forgot i asked if i had 50 would it be 50 or only 25?

he said it cost $30 to look into that?
    Last edited by Philquad; 01-11-16 at 06:48 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    ps. i forgot i asked if i had 50 would it be 50 or only 25?
    Yeah, that's the fun of FTTN. You can buy a 100/40 speed tier but your line may only be capable of syncing at 30/10 max.

Thanks

dam if thats what nbn will be like ill stick with my adsl2

i have a central filter at the entry point in the garage and a direct line to the modem
    so gives me a clean install with no telephones connected

Last edited by fandtm666; 01-11-16 at 08:46 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

My 25/5 Aussie connection gets 1.64 megabytes/sec from the Optus source on ozspeedtest. I know Aussie is maxing out its connection to Optus' nbn wholesale service, which is what Aussie uses to run my connection. Apparently they are in the process of setting up their own per state POPs and dropping Optus. I bet if I run the speed test earlier in the night it'd get closer to full speed.

Something definitely sucks with Philquad's connection.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 01-11-16 at 09:22 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

william10 (01-11-16)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Something definitely sucks with Philquad's connection.
    I'll bet it's a CVC issue.
    It seems to happen a lot when an area (FTTN) goes RFS.
    They don't buy enough bandwidth for the number of customers who connect and your peak hour speed suffers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Philquad (02-11-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default agree

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I'll bet it's a CVC issue.
    It seems to happen a lot when an area (FTTN) goes RFS.
    They don't buy enough bandwidth for the number of customers who connect and your peak hour speed suffers.
    no limits don't help much when the d/load speed is slower than the old dial up speed we only have adsl and when tpg took over there was a immediate significant drop in speeds and as i told them we had not seen since the old days of not enough band width for the customer load

at 1am this morning it was so slow it was almost unusable at 9am it was unusable
    Last edited by dai; 02-11-16 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks

I notice that iiNet is now offering unlimited on cable (80-100Mbps). Half price ($39.99) for the 1st 12 months on a 2 year contract.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    I notice that iiNet is now offering unlimited on cable (80-100Mbps). Half price ($39.99) for the 1st 12 months on a 2 year contract.
    Does it come with a complimentary barge pole?

I'm guessing nbn is coming to the Neighbourhood cable area and iinet is trying to lock in as many clients as it can.

Thanks

Does it come with a complimentary barge pole?

I'm guessing nbn is coming to the Neighbourhood cable area and iinet is trying to lock in as many clients as it can.
    Not anytime soon in Geelong. Even then, iinet don't seem to be pushing it. I'm not sure when they opened it up to unlimited. When I checked a couple of months back, it was only cable that had an upper limit of 1000G. It looks like they have just bought it into line with the rest of their offerings.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

During a conversation I had with my ISP, I got the impression that the NBN doesnt tell them too much until they need to.
    While my ISP suspected the SkyMuster satellite service would be available soon to start signing up prospective customers, they didnt know the date or the areas covered by the satellite until they were told officially.
    No doubt ISP's are installing the infrastucture needed in advance but there it will sit until the NBN says they are ready to connect to it in accordance with their schedule.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!