Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C-Band LNB's Scalar Rings and dishes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Interesting comparison, although no industry standard measurements used, a good effort on your part.

One small point, none of the pics show an LNB with separate feedhorn, they are all integrated LNBF's.

An example of a feedhorn (which a separate LNB mounts to)

zinwell provide a scalar ring about as thick as this with there standard one output c-band lnbf

i have 2 other old ones for soem reason (nfi how I accumulated these) and they are wafer thin scalar rings (strong lnbf i think)

what's the diff any performance improvement with thicker scalar ring ?

thinking about sawing 1/4th triangle out of one for multi lnb asiasat 5 & as7 setup.. maybe I don't need 2 though (off topic)
    Last edited by highkick05; 25-08-16 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks

Getting 1 to 2 db more gain out of the average 2.3m or 1.8 is possible by using a combination of the following:
    1. Using the larger feedhorn adds 1 to 1.5 more gain. anybody using ADL CP300 or 400 would have notice the improvement comparing to standard FeedHorn (Scalar Ring) that comes with a say Zinwell or Strong brand LNB. The bigger feedhorn illuminates the dish more effeminately.
    2. The better LNB
    3. The dish optical effeminacy can be improved. Place a string line (red) crossing the face of the dish. Remove the LNB and check the cross is centred in the feed horn and the centre of the centre plate of the dish. any offset should be corrected by adjusting the feed support struts. Dish would need to be realign if you have made any corrections.
    When viewing from the side the string lines should just touch at the centre. any gap will suggest that the dish is warped in which case the efficiency is dramatically reduced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post

From left being average to the right top performer all tested on same 2.3 dish using Xcruiser box the Zinwell 73, The little Mediastar flickering between 73 and 74 the Titanium at 74 and the Gospell topped it at 75% quality. The Titanium was a recent purchase and regrettably disappointing considering the $140 spend on the 2 units.. The Aluminum finds are just a gimmick.

Feed Horn does play a major roll and add 1 to 1.5dB to the dish performance. If anybody can get their hands on below Feed Horn you are on a winner. Alternatively try and source an ADL Feed

That is the Mediastar Feed Horn I posted before, but they have sold out. I have a couple left I have kept for difficult dishes.

They originally got those to use with 1.8m dishes to boost the signal to get the European bouquet. As The new NSW laws allow the installation of a 1.8m dish without the need for a DA. It is good for places where you have unreasonable neighbours.

I have managed to pick up TVE with a 1.8m dish, one of these bigger feed horns and a high gain CL222 LNB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theslydog View Post
    As The new NSW laws allow the installation of a 1.8m dish without the need for a DA. It is good for places where you have unreasonable neighbours. .
    Unless of course you have the highest platform about to plant dishes on. Then you can look down on your neighbours.

IF EVOLUTION WORKS, WHY SO MANY IDIOTS?

• The Following User Says Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

tristen (02-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post

Probably wont get too many dishes on that thatched roof...

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12