Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid dish equivalent of mesh

Thanks

Default Solid dish equivalent of mesh

3M C-Band dish and setting it up is a pain.

Would I be able to achieve same strength signal on smaller solid dish ?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

As a rough guide, one size smaller solid has comparable signal capture to a mesh dish.

Eg: 2.3m solid = 3.0m mesh... 1.8m solid = 2.3m mesh

You also need to consider weight and wind resistance of solid V mesh.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have a 1.8m Fibre Glass dish (offset) made by Proline or Prodeline ? without the mounting frame and its not light.
    I made up a rough sort of support but because it is 'solid', it was affected by the slightest breeze and needed constant adjustment.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have a 1.8m Fibre Glass dish (offset) made by Proline or Prodeline ? without the mounting frame and its not light.
    I made up a rough sort of support but because it is 'solid', it was affected by the slightest breeze and needed constant adjustment.
    Prodelin dishes are great. They just need to be properly installed and they will not need adjustment.

OK a 2.4m solid maybe be better than a 2.4m mesh but will it outperform a 3m mesh? Not necessarily.
    I use solid dishes as they wont get ruined like a mesh dish with high wind speeds. It also means I can use them for KU band as well.

A 3m prodeline needs a solid frame. Yes they weigh a lot. Fun to install as well.

Last edited by irdeto2engineer; 12-09-16 at 12:47 AM.
    IF EVOLUTION WORKS, WHY SO MANY IDIOTS?

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

gulliver (13-09-16),Mr 672A (13-09-16),OSIRUS (18-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Don't sound good man I've seen ex satellite internet ones at the tip (offset variety?) They look huge, wonder if they can take a c-band lnbf.. who knows

so I think 2.3m solid would be worth buying just to shave some effort off? A) space it takes up and B) setting up / ease of alignment.

bloody 3m mesh is GIGANTIC.

My experiences with 3m MESH however has been good. We hit high speed winds here (WA midwest) sometimes 65km/h gusts mixed with about 45/50km/h constant & I have this dish raised about I would say 2.5m+ atm in a 44 gallon drum, centre hole punched to fit an old basketball hoop pole, then filled only half way with concrete. needs this as a minimum or over she topples.Also needs to be brought down about a metre to still get reception on these 40km/hour windy days really, cos it's blowing just a tiny bit too much.

I used this setup so I could easily throw it later, it's proven to be nightmare cos it's far too heavy , it would need to be smashed up/torn apart if I move (rentals suck for 3m dish). Which is more & more effort I don't want to put in. I've done all this by myself also.

Any you guys know who sells damn 2.3m solid dishes in WA / perth probably.. old mate said they don't sell anymore or this may be the 1.8m (think he was getting good enough signal on these , not enough I think 60 quality?) thoughts anyone
    Last edited by highkick05; 12-09-16 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Prodelin dishes are great. They just need to be properly installed and they will not need adjustment.

OK a 2.4m solid maybe be better than a 2.4m mesh but will it outperform a 3m mesh? Not necessarily.
    I use solid dishes as they wont get ruined like a mesh dish with high wind speeds. It also means I can use them for KU band as well.

A 3m prodeline needs a solid frame. Yes they weigh a lot. Fun to install as well.

How do u get these dish ? delivered I gather.. look nice. I want to go smallest I can just for moving around sake. Love doing this stuff but it's huge cost to tare down and setup again. I also know you can get ground stands , this would rock as long as it can do a motor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highkick05 View Post
    How do u get these dish ? delivered I gather.. look nice. I want to go smallest I can just for moving around sake. Love doing this stuff but it's huge cost to tare down and setup again. I also know you can get ground stands , this would rock as long as it can do a motor
    Yes I get a guy I know to pick them up with his truck combo crane and lift them up onto my platform.

I still do the installs though. The Prodelin 3m dishes I took down from old office to move to new one. Actually once you know these dishes they aren't that bad to install but needs 2 people. I use 2.4m Jonsa dishes and they can be installed with 2 people. Mine are all fixed can't used motorized where I live.

I have a 4.2m but got another company to install if for me. I just supervised and helped a bit. Tuning I did myself.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (13-09-16),OSIRUS (18-09-16)

Thanks

There's a 1.8m solid single piece dish at left.

looks kinda small amongst the other dishes.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (13-09-16),OSIRUS (18-09-16)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

I have a 1.8M Solid fiberglass Prodelin offset dish running today. I've had it for 20 years and it still looks like new. This dish is set on Intelsat 19 C/band. The only thing that needs maintaining for this dish is the duel feed horn (has twin Cal amps) as all its paint is flaking.

Thanks

I bought a second-hand segmented 1.8m solid dish. I chose this over 2.3m mesh (which I understand would be comparable) because of space constraints. I have yet to put it back together and install it, but I expect it should be adequate to pick up most Asiasat 3 or 5 channels.

Anyway, I have a question. Two of the segments have a pucker on their outer lip. Could this have been some sort of adjustment to the overall parabolic shape, or simply damage due to previous mishandling? I asked the seller about this, but he didn't seem to know.

Joe.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_ds_au View Post
    Anyway, I have a question. Two of the segments have a pucker on their outer lip. Could this have been some sort of adjustment to the overall parabolic shape, or simply damage due to previous mishandling?
    Posting a pic would help determine it, but usually the edges are always round, so I expect it's damage.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If that 'imperfection' is right on the edge and the rest of the dish looks in good condition, it shouldnt cause you any problems.
    I am guessing that the dish is made of pressed metal which would if impacted cause an effect you have described.

I have noticed some small 65cm dishes used for PayTV can have a raised lip around the edge which I took to be to make the dish more rigid but the lip usually goes completely around the outer edge.
    One of the early installed dishes I saw was high enough to collect water due to the elevation of the dish and over time, it had rusted through.
    I notice the later ones 'rolled' the edge so there was no lip to collect water.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    I have a 1.8M Solid fiberglass Prodelin offset dish running today. I've had it for 20 years and it still looks like new. This dish is set on Intelsat 19 C/band. The only thing that needs maintaining for this dish is the duel feed horn (has twin Cal amps) as all its paint is flaking.
    Interested in this fixed on Intelsat 19. Do the KU-type dish do well on this ? 1.8 offset like .. can u chuck anything smaller, wat sort of qual signal r u getting?

Curious because I have another 2 storey house next door blocking that angle completely from my motorised 3m

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Interested in this fixed on Intelsat 19. Do the KU-type dish do well on this ? 1.8 offset like .. can u chuck anything smaller, wat sort of qual signal r u getting?

Curious because I have another 2 storey house next door blocking that angle completely from my motorised 3m
    I get very (not looking at the duo2 for figures ATM) Very similar signal strength and quality on the 2.3M dish on Intelsat 19 as what I get on the 1.8M Prodelin offset. Next Monday its Dismantle time for the feedhorn to strip it and re paint it. I have replaced all bolts on this 1.8 dish with quality Stainless steel ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    I get very (not looking at the duo2 for figures ATM) Very similar signal strength and quality on the 2.3M dish on Intelsat 19 as what I get on the 1.8M Prodelin offset. Next Monday its Dismantle time for the feedhorn to strip it and re paint it. I have replaced all bolts on this 1.8 dish with quality Stainless steel ones.
    does matter if it prodelin ? will still give same quality signal ... these dish are pricey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Posting a pic would help determine it, but usually the edges are always round, so I expect it's damage.
    OK, here's the outer edge of a segment (it's pressed steel, painted blue-grey) with a pucker :

Administrator
    Thanks

It's damage, but providing the front surface of the panel isn't distorted, it won't affect performance at all.

Thanks

Signals are collected from the middle of the dish not the outer edges.. its fine, next thing you will be putting cd's around the edge ;-)

its pretty normal for the cheap Chinese tin dishes to crush around the edges
    Last edited by apsattv; 18-09-16 at 10:40 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    Signals are collected from the middle of the dish not the outer edges.. its fine, next thing you will be putting cd's around the edge ;-)

its pretty normal for the cheap Chinese tin dishes to crush around the edges
    It's also normal for cheap Chinese pressed metal dishes to warp, especially if they have had some form of impact.

Of course the signal is not affected at the edges, but if the impact has distorted the dish in any way, then it will affect performance.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (18-09-16)

Thanks

does matter if it prodelin ? will still give same quality signal ... these dish are pricey
    Well you could go for a cheaper version.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast