Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid dish equivalent of mesh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Well you could go for a cheaper version.

Jonsa look the about the only one in the budget range in Australia far as solid go
    would need to get delivered as only these sell only over east. are they a good dish though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It's also normal for cheap Chinese pressed metal dishes to warp, especially if they have had some form of impact.

Of course the signal is not affected at the edges, but if the impact has distorted the dish in any way, then it will affect performance.
    Well, I don't know if it's a cheap Chinese dish. It's about 15 years old and seems sturdy, if that's any guide.

The puckers protrude outward, so aren't caused by an impact. They could have been caused by pressure applied from the back side of the dish, although I can't see why that would happen. As they would affect the parabolic shape of the dish, I had wondered if they were some sort of fine-tuning of the dish shape. However, as you guys haven't seen such a thing, I'll assume these puckers shouldn't be there and do some panel beating before restoration/assembly.

Joe.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am guessing those 'pucker' marks as you call them are the result of the Dish being either hit or dropped onto a hard surface and thats caused the deformation.

Personally unless you can see some real distortion in the actual segment I would leave it well alone unless your skilled as a Panel Beater as any attempts may cause more damage.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Whether mesh or solid a warped dish could be less then half the expected gain performance, effectively useless.

You can string the dish and check the asthmatics... more here...>>

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_ds_au View Post
    Well, I don't know if it's a cheap Chinese dish. It's about 15 years old and seems sturdy, if that's any guide.

The puckers protrude outward, so aren't caused by an impact. They could have been caused by pressure applied from the back side of the dish, although I can't see why that would happen. As they would affect the parabolic shape of the dish, I had wondered if they were some sort of fine-tuning of the dish shape. However, as you guys haven't seen such a thing, I'll assume these puckers shouldn't be there and do some panel beating before restoration/assembly.

Joe.
    Cheap Chinese petal dishes, such as those made by Jonsa, are made from thin metal and will distort very easily if not handled/supported adequately when transporting, assembling or during installation.

The picture you posted shows that that particular "pucker" does not extend beyond the fold in the metal and therefore will not be a problem.

If all the of the "puckers" you refer to are on the outer edge of the dish, such as the one I referred to above, they will not cause a problem provided that the dish proper has not suffered in any way.

And no, they are NOT fine-tuning!

Here is a picture of a Jonsa 1.8m panel dish, such as I referred to earlier in this post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_ds_au View Post

Joe.
    They wont make any difference. I have one or two on my dishes from people trying to move the dish from the panels instead of from the frame.
    IF EVOLUTION WORKS, WHY SO MANY IDIOTS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Here is a picture of a Jonsa 1.8m panel dish, such as I referred to earlier in this post.

Here's pictures of the 1.8m solid I get from Jonsa. However the stainless steel frame made here. I do live in a country that last week at my place had 200mm of rain just in 12 hours at my home.

I also replace all the bolts holding the panel on with stainless steel bolts and add washers which Jonsa don't provide.
    The bolts they do provide will just rust and eat away into the dish frame otherwise.
    Also a 1 piece solid there are only 2 bolts at front of dish where panel mounts to frame and 2 bolts for the elevation pole.
    Takes me about 15 mins to put a dish together and get it on a bird.

Last edited by irdeto2engineer; 23-09-16 at 02:15 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

hazman (23-09-16)

Thanks

Same again two 1.8m solids on 124e and 128e ku band sky perfect Japan satellite. Stainless steel frames again.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irdeto2engineer For This Useful Post:

hazman (23-09-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by irdeto2engineer View Post
    Here's pictures of the 1.8m solid I get from Jonsa. However the stainless steel frame made here. I do live in a country that last week at my place had 200mm of rain just in 12 hours at my home.

I also replace all the bolts holding the panel on with stainless steel bolts and add washers which Jonsa don't provide.
    The bolts they do provide will just rust and eat away into the dish frame otherwise.
    Also a 1 piece solid there are only 2 bolts at front of dish where panel mounts to frame and 2 bolts for the elevation pole.
    Takes me about 15 mins to put a dish together and get it on a bird.

That's clearly a more robust Jonsa (solid) dish than those (panel) dishes I've come across locally (Australia).

Yes, the bolts as supplied are a problem and quickly rust.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

OT but I love the perspective in that pic... looks like a monster dish, or tiny tech with a cable next to it.

I'm assuming it's a large hose he's handling... not coax.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    OT but I love the perspective in that pic... looks like a monster dish, or tiny tech with a cable next to it.

I'm assuming it's a large hose he's handling... not coax.
    Power extension cable.

Thanks

I'm thinking perth used to get the Jonsa petal variety in 1.8m. But old mate said they don't get em anymore, wodner why they stopped.

Would be worth getting 1.8m just for now to see what sort of strength signal it gets. Then perhaps using it later as a fixed on Intelsat19 or somethin. ppl here saying 2.3m the way to go if you want exact copy of 3m mesh

Thanks

My 2.6M one piece solid has the same performance (roughly) on C band as a decent 3M mesh I had.

The 2.6 is a AceSat dish- I think, that use to be used sit on top of pubs for horse racing years ago in the old analog days. The surface accuracy is still great, probably good as the day it was made but thing weighs a ton, as does the mount.

At the end of the day when it come to C band it's not the lack of holes or no holes in the dish, it's the surface accuracy.

Sill works well but hardly ever use it these days. Wondering what I can use it for now. Was thinking of using it for completely rain fade proof dish for my Foxtel or even converting it to a SETI dish :-)
    Last edited by Tappet; 14-10-16 at 10:23 PM.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12