Thread: What Satellite/Channels can I pick up with a 65cm dish?

Thanks

Default What Satellite/Channels can I pick up with a 65cm dish?

Hello and thank you for taking time and reading my post.
    I have 2 questions if someone can give some feedback.
    I have a 65cm KU-Band dish that is currently picking up Intelsat 19 but I wanted to know what other satellites can I tune-in that are worth having?
    I once found a channel of documentaries, but I don’t know the name of the channel or what satellite it was in, so my second question is...does anyone know of a free channel that shows documentaries?
    I have receiver box that is MPEG-4 complaint.

Kind Regards,
    Willy

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Hey Willy

Your location will to be the telling factor of what you can and can not receive with your 65cm dish

Give this site a good read:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-10-16 at 09:29 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

B#Maj7th (07-10-16)

Thanks

Thank You for taking the time to reply and your advice.
    I had a look at the link you sent and I’m amazed at the amount of satellites that there are.
    Does that mean that based on the Sat equipment that I have, that I could get ANY of the satellites on the list, or are some of those ONLY available if you are in Asia?
    I'm in Essendon, Victoria. Thanks again.
    Thanks for your valuable feedback.
    Willy

Last edited by B#Maj7th; 07-10-16 at 10:58 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Click on each Sat, there should be a Beam Footprint map available

That will tell you what can and can not get.
    You are on the Ku Band also, so that narrows things down too.

There is also an App you can get for you phone, Dish Pointer i think its called.
    It will show you real time Sats available at your location as you look at the sky with your phone
    Last edited by ol' boy; 07-10-16 at 11:23 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

I've moved this thread here, as it's more appropriate .

As mentioned, can also be viewed as a website.

It uses Google Earth to show a line from your location to the satellites you select, once you enter your address of course.

Drag the marker to where your dish is located.

A 65cm dish is KU-Band only.

Just because there may be a path to a particular satellite doesn't mean there is a beam pointed towards Australia... this is where 'footprints' indicate what signal coverage that satellite has.

Then.... just because there's a footprint doesn't mean you can receive everything, as many services are encrypted and require a subscription, or proprietary equipment to decode the signals. Eg: Foxtel and VAST.

There's not a lot of free channels available on Ku-Band.... ABC and SBS channels on Optus D1, a heap of religious channels on Optus D2. A couple of freebies on Optus C1/D3

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If you dont mind me paraphrasing Ol Willy Shakehisspear, 'There be more Satellites in the Sky Above than ye be aware of, even those shown on Lyngsat are but a few !!!
    As MTV and others have pointed out, there well maybe 50 satellites view-able from your location but many only serve locations North of the Equator and even those whose footprint 'may' reach our shores if you have a big enough dish, Encryption is the order of the day now.
    Then there are those that if they dont encrypt may be only in a language different to yours and while I have watched those channels briefly, so unless its a movie or TV show you have seen before and you remember the story line, not very entertaining.
    All that leaves is those with a religious content but unless you want to go to church 24/7 along with being assailed by requests to make donations or being doomed to Purgatory if you dont comply means you usually end up watching the Test signal.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!