Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Windows 10 Update Renaming of Folders

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Default Latest Windows 10 Update Renaming of Folders

OK, I'm on the verge of actually taking a hammer to my computer right now!

Every time I rename a folder, or create a new folder and try to name it, the window freezes and I get "not responding" for what is probably about a minute but feels like a damn hour!

Has anyone else experienced this on Windows 10 lately after updating?

Look Here ->
    Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

I've noticed after the last update that when I first turn my computer on each day,
    the first time I want to copy a file to a different folder or empty the recycle bin it seems to take a good few seconds before it responds.
    I've also noticed on first boot that a dos box quickly opens then closes again - it's too fast to see what it is.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of Windows and moving to Linux.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

irritant (16-10-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I commented in the W10 thread about initial startup is slower.

Apart from that; no problems with new folders or renaming folders.

Have noticed the DOS box flash a couple of times on boot as well.

Oh yeh; after the update the lock screen has reappeared, which I had removed from startup, way back.
    Actually I don't mind it now, pretty pics.

I'm using 64 bit Pro & 64 bit home.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

irritant (16-10-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

No problems at all here.

Creation and renaming of directories is faultless.

Haven't seen any dosbox at startup.

Boots as normal.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

irritant (16-10-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Since the update, I havent seen the message that 'Windows couldnt connect' to some client protocol as it has done now few a few weeks.
    There has been some changes on the area where you go for settings and turn the computer off.
    Turning OFF the Computer has been quite slow in recent times but seems back to what it was before.
    Also when the computer starts, the WiFi icon is showing much quicker and I can click on it the 'Network' box opens and displays the Internet connection instead of 6 dots 'circling' for up to a minute as before.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (16-10-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

All but one of my computers has gone through the update process. It changed the start menu to put the power button and settings on the left, not sure why they did that, but...... the live tiles on my lappy are no longer alive. They still open the appropriate program, just do not update. The weather dial is just a blue square. Wife's computer just disappeared off the network, even though it can see everything. My office computer seems to be the only one that has gone through the upgrade without any complaints. My media server seems to be the only machine that has still not updated, so, it is still OK!

If anyone knows how to fix the live tiles, it would be appreciated, otherwise I'll blow everything away and start again. which is no biggie given that lappy gets used for all and sundry, and would enjoy a clean up.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (16-10-16)

Thanks

Yeah, I've noticed the change in the start menu with the power button and settings on the left, plus the lock screen and logon screen now have the same background.

I think this is part of a ~4 GB update called the anniversary update or something like that.

But, everything was working fine after updating both my computers. It was only recently, about a few days ago, on both computers that I noticed it had downloaded and installed some updates again, and then on both I have this issue with renaming of folders.

It literally freezes when you hit enter right after you've typed in the name of the folder (i.e. let's say you create a new folder for example, and the naming box is now active, and you type the name in - as soon as you hit enter, it freezes). Clicking with the mouse instead of enter does the same thing.

Now, it's evolved a little. Sometimes it freezes only a little bit, but I still get the long freezes too. Whole explorer window freezes (says not responding on the title bar), except for the minimize button. Taskbar still works too. I can even open another explorer window from the taskbar and it works fine.

Thanks

Did some scratching around, apparently has something to do with shell extentions in the windows registry editor and something with winRAR shell extentions ... apparently you must disable this.

Don't like switching stuff off and messing around with stuff in the registry editor, so I guess it's just wait for another update to fix this...

I've found all these updates mess with even the deepest stuff and change just about everything, even my own settings for stuff. Like even changing my metric stuff into imperial, etc.

It even got into my printer settings and tries to force my printer to print from it's rear tray (which I naturally do not fill as it's meant for photo paper).

Why do they have to mess with all this stuff? How does this improve Windows in any way?

I don't mind the change in looks, etc. in fact I like it when the overall look changes every now and then, and some functionality is added and so on.

But to mess with irrelevant stuff, not to mention messing up my sound drivers on my laptop each time, what on earth for?

Seriously considering a mac for my next buy.
    Last edited by irritant; 16-10-16 at 07:40 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

This is not quite what you are complaining about, but it's useful information nonetheless. Tiny has posted a method to disable Windows 10 driver updates in his post #2 at .

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

irritant (17-10-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I agree with your complaints, AdrianR, Like re-installing all the crap that you just uninstalled because you don't need it. However, most of the patches are to fix security and problems elsewhere which does, kind of, make them necessary. That said, Linux is looking attractive, it's just a pity that there is nothing that will port Access databases easily. (my main problem) and the fact that it does not seem to like dual monitor setups unless you are running AMD chipsets.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (17-10-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I haven't had issues with renaming folders after the latest huge update.

But, it has re-installed "apps" that I previously uninstalled that I have no intentions of using.
    It even re-installed the "Get Office", even though I already have office installed.

For those in same boat as me, see links below to uninstalling their re-installed bloatware, or changing registry settings to disable the settings it has forced a reset on.

Last edited by Xplorer; 18-10-16 at 11:33 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

irritant (18-10-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks

There is an update in the pipeline that actually redresses the re-installation of stuff you've uninstalled. IIRC it is currently in the hands of the Insiders who are alpha or beta testing.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (30-10-16),Xplorer (19-10-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed the change in the start menu with the power button
    This is the only thing I have noticed.

I have disabled all startup/login screens so havent noticed anything different. I havent noticed any problems, mine is running the same as it always has. And its only a Core2Duo

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

irritant (20-10-16)

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses guys!

It seems the issue is now less prevalent than it used to be, hopefully it's gone.

I guess I can understand the purpose of all these updates.

It's just...like some things in Win10 just seem to be deliberately fiddly or difficult to get around sort of thing.

Like...the first thing I noticed after upgrading to it - you have to set the keyboard settings in the registry editor just to get the NUM LOCK to stay on the next time you start up your computer (my password contains several numbers). After some updates, it wiped that again, and caught me out at the logon screen again - type in my password, and sure enough, password is incorrect. Noticed the little light is off.

Just...stuff like that. Why? Can't it just remember my num-lock boot status like old windows did?

This is just one little example. Others include a whole rigmarole just to set the clock to 24h format, especially on the lock screen, and several other little fiddly things.

If one has to start googling forums in order just to set little things in Windows, then...I mean...how user-friendly is it after all?

Don't get me wrong though, Win10, for me, is brilliant, love the layout and the format, and the looks and everything.
    Last edited by irritant; 20-10-16 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks

OK, so there's been another little update the other day, which I thought might have just been another security one, but it seems this problem is now resolved.

So, good job to MS for springing on it so quick.

I guess they dunno what stuff does until they release it and people begin to leave "feedback" (i.e. complain).
    Last edited by irritant; 27-10-16 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

Erratum - problem is still happening. I thought it was gone.

Thanks

Default Same issue

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    Erratum - problem is still happening. I thought it was gone.
    I'm having the same issue. It seems to be specifically after creating a new folder and changing the name from "New Folder" to intended name. Shows "not responding" for at least a min. After that it sometimes complete the name change but often doesn't.

It's only started happening today. I install the new updates whenever they're released. Did the latest at some stage in the last week.

I've restarted once but it didn't fix it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to timmcn For This Useful Post:

irritant (26-11-16)

Thanks

Yipee! Seems the problem is finally gone after the last update.

However, I did find a work-around when it did happen. When you name your folder, DON'T HIT ENTER or click the mouse in the window. Simply minimize the window and restore it, and voila - folder is named in seconds without the freezing.

Thanks

Angry

Hey tiny when you first start the comp and it goes to the log in screen is the pic always the same or is it supposed to change. Mines stays the same all the time.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by levend View Post
    Hey tiny when you first start the comp and it goes to the log in screen is the pic always the same or is it supposed to change. Mines stays the same all the time.
    My laptop W10Home stays the same & my PC W10Pro changes almost daily??
    I think there is a setting somewhere to change the frequency, I just haven't bothered to look for it until now that you mention it.

Settings/Personalisation/Lock screen/Under the picture background has a selection of Windows Spotlight, Picture or Slideshow.
    I think these change the effect & frequency of change somehow?

EDIT: blow that out the window, lol, both mine are set to the same yet one changes & one doesn't.
    Did notice an option to switch the background image off down lower though.
    Last edited by Tiny; 22-12-16 at 09:31 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

irritant (22-12-16),levend (22-12-16)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast