Thread: Which GPS should I get?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default Which GPS should I get?

Need some help choosing a GPS for the car.
    I’m after whichever one is best for navigation around rural and regional areas in all States of Oz, and am less interested in City/CBD stuff.
    Would like something that, once a destination is entered, would keep me updated on remaining distance, and time to destination at current speed.
    This would save me constantly referring to the vehicle odometer, and engaging in drawn-out debates with the talking map machine in the passenger seat.
    I’ve heard that some units are more suited to the city environment, and some don’t even have much map coverage outside of major metropolitan areas.
    That is the exact opposite of what I’m looking for.
    Don’t want anything flash, not interested in bells and whistles…just something that will tell me where I am, where I’m heading, and how far and how long before I get there.
    Heading across the Nullabor (for the umpteenth time) early next year, and I know from past experience that sort of information is real handy when towing a ‘van in the middle of woop-woop.
    Not overly concerned about price, as long as the money gets me what I want.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,075 Times in 9,093 Posts

I have a second hand TomTom I got from my brother. I just crossed the Nullabor (also for the umpteenth time) each way, getting back here on Saturday. My map machine did the programming, and the thing took us around the flooded Riverina in NSW. The NSW SES told us where there was flooding, so we took waypoints instead of Canberra.

The roads were a little primitive in places (sealed of course), but it worked a treat. I think it gives constant GPS references, but I can't swear to that.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (18-10-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

If you're not intending to 'go bush' and staying on mapped roads, then any of the GPS navigation devices will probably do the job.

It's likely to be a Holden/Ford/Toyota thing which comes down to personal preferences.

I have a TomTom in my own vehicle and the company cars have Garmin.

The Garmin has some very strange voice pronunciations of street names but other than that, is fast to update positions.

The TomTom is an old model (GO730) and requires weekly online satellite position updates to be able to boot up quickly.

Later models do this automatically OTA (over the air).

What I like particularly with the TT is the option to browse a selected route as text.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (18-10-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

I'm a Garmin fan, however I think any of the top name brands will do what you want even on their budget device.
    On both my Garmins, they keep me updated on remaining distance, and time to destination at current speed.
    The small readout windows in the corners of the screen can be easily changed to reflect what data content you want to see.
    You can also set preferences for routing like, avoid unsealed roads, avoid U-turns, route for fastest time, route for shortest distance (which can quite often be really twisty roads that take longer), avoid toll ways, etc.

Best place to buy is they have Garmin, Hema & TomTom, pick what you like from the specs & pics.

If you go to really out of the way places & want to add topo 4WD track type maps to your GPS unit, there is a couple of great maps available for Garmin GPS.
    Garmin Topo -
    There is a full version or a cheaper lite version of this. The lite version does not do routing to your destination, so pretty useless unless it's for a hand held for bush walking.

OZTopo.-
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (18-10-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

+1 for Johnny Appleseed.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

What I like particularly with the TT is the option to browse a selected route as text.
    That can also be done on the Garmin units or at least on both mine anyway & if you touch any of the text directions it will take you to that part of the journey on the map for a look see.

It is possible to view the complete route on your Garmin automotive device. Depending on the model of GPS, there are a couple ways to view this information.
    Option 1:

1. Touch Where To?
    2. Find and select the desired destination
    3. Touch Go!
    4. Touch the navigation bar found at the top of the map page

Option 2: (Not available on all devices)

1. Touch Where To?
    2. Find and select the desired destination
      • A Route Info bar should scroll out from the Go! button

3. Touch the Route Info bar
    4. The entire route should be visible on the touchscreen of the device

Tip: Touch the Plus (+) or Minus (-) icons to zoom in or out on the map. Touch the map and drag to view different parts of the map. Some models may require you to use on-screen directional arrows to move the map.

Garmin GPS directions in text
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-10-16 at 11:41 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mtv (18-10-16),Thala Dan (18-10-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

If you are looking at off-road, son has a Hema which he swears by. Me, I use my smart phone. It's ok for most areas, but does get confused in some towns. I live in rural SA and usually use it to find my way to various jobs in and around the area.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (18-10-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Thanks to all for the assistance.

I've used hand-helds for yonks......only way I could ever find my hidden crab traps up north.

I've still got my original Garmin GPS12 ....but the last few years was using a Garmin etrex 10......so I'll probably stick with Garmin, as they've proved themselves rattling around in the bottom of a tinny in tropical conditions.

Have never had an automotive unit....hence the query.

Ten years and 200,000km of caravanning was carried out with just the passenger seat talking map machine which, to this day, still isn't sure about how to hold, or read, a map.

I think I set some sort of Australian record for U-turns during that period.

So I'm relenting and getting another damn piece of electronics for the car...........miles cheaper than a divorce lawyer, I guess.

The unit won't be going off the beaten track......and, with any luck, won't see even the silhouette of a city.......will hopefully just be a quicker and more peaceful way of knowing where we are, and how far/long to where we're going.

Thanks again.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Cool, so if you go with a Garmin automotive GPS, make sure it has LM in the title, that's Lifetime Maps. I think they pretty much all do the LM now.
    You probably wont need an LMT, the T is for Traffic Updates & only works in the City.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (18-10-16)