Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what nbn plan do you have?

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Well NBN is activated in our area and we are thinking of getting telstra bundle called "THE BEST BUNDLE EVER" for $99 that for 1000GB. One reason why we want to stay with Telstra is our pillar is 950m away and the node is another 250M away further away so that 1200 m to our home. BUT!! there is a node and pillar next to each other only 520 m away and this does the the street where our street goes into so I want to be connected to that pillar/node. I also found out asking the tech working there that the closer node has only 245 or 9 houses connect there and each node allows a max of 300.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Put your address in here and then click on the dot closest to your house.
    It will tell you how far away the node is and also how far the node is from the pillar.
    It will also give you an estimated speed.

If the dots are grey they haven't updated the site for your location yet.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

admin (04-08-17),joezep (03-08-17),Mr 672A (03-08-17),william10 (03-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    One reason why we want to stay with Telstra is our pillar is 950m away and the node is another 250M away further away so that 1200 m to our home. BUT!! there is a node and pillar next to each other only 520 m away and this does the the street where our street goes into so I want to be connected to that pillar/node.
    Sorry mate, but you don't get a choice of which node you connect through, and Telstra have no more say in the matter then any other RSP.

Thanks

It doesn't matter which ISP you go with. They will ALL use the same node. The determination of which one to use is the one with closest pillar to your home which your existing copper connection passes through.

Thanks

diddy up thanks for that link WhiteOx just had a look and i have gone
    from FTN 6 months ago to FTTP nice purple dots
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

WhiteOx (04-08-17)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Put your address in here and then click on the dot closest to your house.
    It will tell you how far away the node is and also how far the node is from the pillar.
    It will also give you an estimated speed.

If the dots are grey they haven't updated the site for your location yet.
    Yes I have used this before and It finds Nothing. It says NO Node No Pillar.
    What a bummer as our pair go into the same pit to the closer pillar and node

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

I'm not up with the connection crap, telstra sent out a new modem, ive hooked it up, and my internet connections are crap, slowest ive ever encountered, supposed to be NBN but showing ADSL?

Administrator

Thanks

Looks like you haven't been connected yet Rick.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Rick (04-08-17)

Thanks

Looks like you haven't been connected yet Rick.
    Oh really? Telstra told us we would be connected in July? post code 7320 Acton area

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    It doesn't matter which ISP you go with. They will ALL use the same node. The determination of which one to use is the one with closest pillar to your home which your existing copper connection passes through.
    Yes I know that but it sill stupid to have a pillar and node less than half way to out house yes both pillars intersect in a pit only 40M away

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm not up with the connection crap, telstra sent out a new modem, ive hooked it up, and my internet connections are crap, slowest ive ever encountered, supposed to be NBN but showing ADSL?

I done my neighbors on Thursday. We had to ring telstra as we had an issue with the modem and after 2 minutes with info we we were away. BUT!!! to sinc you have to wait 10Minutes. But the way you still have normal Phones at homes untill the second NBN starts and after that the normal phones do not work anymore. Buy the way all phones must be re connected from the modem NOT the the way it was wired 10 years ago

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

xapi (04-08-17)

Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh really? Telstra told us we would be connected in July? post code 7320 Acton area
    If you were connected your connection type would read VDSL.
    Another way you can tell is by plugging your phone into the phone socket - if it works you're still on ADSL.
    With VDSL you'll need to plug your phone into the modem for it to work.

Click the 'Advanced' tab
    Click 'Broadband'

It will have your connection type and max line speed along with some other stuff listed.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Rick (05-08-17),xapi (04-08-17)

Thanks

If you were connected your connection type would read VDSL.
    Another way you can tell is by plugging your phone into the phone socket - if it works you're still on ADSL.

No what I found is my Neighbour was connected to NBN but all the phones worked but once I wired the nbn box up and powered it and it took 8 to 10 min to sync then NBN was on for the first time and as since as this happened ALL the phones in the house stopped working.
    After the NBN was away (using it on the Net) I plugged a phone in the Telstra NBN Modem (up its butt) and the phone worked.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

No what I found is my Neighbour was connected to NBN but all the phones worked but once I wired the nbn box up and powered it and it took 8 to 10 min to sync then NBN was on for the first time and as since as this happened ALL the phones in the house stopped working.

How can you say your neighbour " was connected to NBN " and then you say " took 8 to 10 min to sync then NBN was on for the first time " ?

I would say your neighbour was not on the NBN in the first place as what you are saying confirms exactly what WhiteOx said.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

After the NBN was away (using it on the Net) I plugged a phone in the Telstra NBN Modem (up its butt) and the phone worked.
    How did you connect all the phones in the house?

The phone lead in (if FTTN or FTTC), the cable must go directly to the modem... no parallel equipment on the line.

The phone 'out' on the modem then gets connected to any other phone cabling.

The same principle applies to FTTP... phones get connected to the modem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

xapi (04-08-17)

Thanks

I dont have a home phone, refuse to have one, I just use my mobile for making and receiving calls

Thanks

It is sometimes possible to have a standard phone with NBN during the transition period, It's just not very common. It's called voiceband continuity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    How did you connect all the phones in the house?

The phone lead in (if FTTN or FTTC), the cable must go directly to the modem... no parallel equipment on the line.

The phone 'out' on the modem then gets connected to any other phone cabling.

The same principle applies to FTTP... phones get connected to the modem.
    I did not say I connect any phone except the one up the butt of the modem.

His house the twisted pair comes from the telstra brick wall outside to his bedroom to the kitchen and then the last the computer room. So be this you can see you have 2 points on connection before the computer NBN room
    This should the other way around

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    How can you say your neighbour " was connected to NBN " and then you say " took 8 to 10 min to sync then NBN was on for the first time " ?

I would say your neighbour was not on the NBN in the first place as what you are saying confirms exactly what WhiteOx said.
    Telstra had my neighbour Connected the NBN (there side of things) the day before but his phones were still connected and ALL working. When you turn your Telstra NBN modem on for the very First time it takes up to 10 min to get Sync and then you are on NBN (telsta had it connected the day before) and once this happens his other phones in the house would not work. He has to get a electrician in to re configure his phone lines in the house as his first and second phones are before the NBN computer room.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 05-08-17 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks

Telstra had my neighbour Connected the NBN (there side of things) the day before but his phones were still connected and ALL working. When you turn your Telstra NBN modem on for the very First time it takes up to 10 min to get Sync and then you are on NBN (telsta had it connected the day before) and once this happens his other phones in the house would not work. He has to get a electrician in to re configure his phone lines in the house as his first and second phones are before the NBN computer room.
    This doesn't make any sense. You seem to be saying that you are in a FTTN area. If this is the case, your neighbour couldn't have a copper phone connection AND NBN data at the same time. It is the EXISTING copper phone line that is disconnected from the telephone exchange at the local pillar, and connected across to the NBN cabinet. The only way he could still have a copper phone connection is if the line hadn't been connected to the NBN. He may well have had his modem providing Internet service with ADSL before the physical NBN connection was completed.

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast