Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what nbn plan do you have?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. You seem to be saying that you are in a FTTN area. If this is the case, your neighbour couldn't have a copper phone connection AND NBN data at the same time. It is the EXISTING copper phone line that is disconnected from the telephone exchange at the local pillar, and connected across to the NBN cabinet. The only way he could still have a copper phone connection is if the line hadn't been connected to the NBN. He may well have had his modem providing Internet service with ADSL before the physical NBN connection was completed.
    That is not true, as I posted only three posts above yours.

It is possible to have an NBN connection, and a standard phone at the same time during the transition period.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tech4U View Post
    That is not true, as I posted only three posts above yours.

It is possible to have an NBN connection, and a standard phone at the same time during the transition period.
    I know, but it is not something that can be done without a specific request. It is usually done for a customer who has a specific need (e.g. medical alert) which needs further modification. The neighbour would have had to have known all the details, and this does not appear to be case in this instance.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Well we got Testra "Best bundle Ever"100/40 @ 1100 m away from the node. I have look at charts and me thinks that the best we will get is 25 or 30 DL. What do you think!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Optus Unlimited, 25 down, 5 up, Australia wide
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Today we got connected to the NBN and I was surprised the speed of it considering the node is 1200M away.
    Detail are:

DSL Status
    Up
    DSL Uptime
    6hours 17min 23sec
    DSL Type
    VDSL2
    DSL Mode
    Fast
    Maximum Line rate
    9 Mbps 43.14 Mbps
    Line Rate
    9 Mbps 41.43 Mbps
    Data Transferred
    282.51 MBytes 1326.82 MBytes
    Output Power
    6.3 dBm 13.4 dBm
    Line Attenuation
    10.8, 49.9, 73.5 dB 23.1, 61.2, 90.3 dB
    Noise Margin
    5.8 dB 6.6 dB

No the Big question is OOkla shows a speed of 37.50 D/L and about 8 U/L. Where does the difference between what on whats shown on the modem and whats shown on via OOkla go too (Losses somewhere).

By the way I changed the cable between the Modem to the desktop puter to a cat 5e
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 18-08-17 at 05:46 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    No the Big question is OOkla shows a speed of 37.50 D/L and about 8 U/L. Where does the difference between what on whats shown on the modem and whats shown on via OOkla go too (Losses somewhere).

By the way I changed the cable between the Modem to the desktop puter to a cat 5e
    The modem is most likely showing the connection speed and OOkla results will vary depending on many factors, as it's on a browser on your computer and you'll get different results depending on which server you test it on.

BTW... what type of Ethernet cable were you previously using between the modem and the computer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    BTW... what type of Ethernet cable were you previously using between the modem and the computer?
    God knows. they we Skinny and no rating on them.
    Whirlpool people say Change you cable from the wall socket to the modem. they recommend a rj11 Cat 6 cable. People swear about this. I have purchased one on ebay

Thanks

RJ11 is NOT cat 6. It is a 6 pin telephone standard, and does not provide ethernet connectivity. You need RJ45.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    Whirlpool people say Change you cable from the wall socket to the modem. they recommend a rj11 Cat 6 cable. People swear about this. I have purchased one on ebay
    If the cable run is short, a standard RJ11 cable should be perfectly fine, just buy a decent quality cable.
    If the cable run is long, say over 10m, then a CAT6 cable with RJ45 to RJ11 adapters may raise your connection speeds.

With a max line rate of 43/9 Mbps on a 1200m line, I'd say the cable you are currently using is working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    RJ11 is NOT cat 6. It is a 6 pin telephone standard, and does not provide ethernet connectivity. You need RJ45.
    He doesn't require ethernet connectivity to the RJ11 port on the modem.

Thanks

We are on an iiNet 25/5 FTTN plan. Given the distance to the node (about 1km away) thats the best plan for us to be on. Not worth paying for a 100mb plan knowing we will only get a few MB more speed. Neighbour about 4 houses closer to the node told he could get about 31mb on his Optus plan and also chose a 25mb plan.
    Last edited by Greg; 14-09-17 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks

I've been with Aussie broadband for about a month now and have a 50/20 connection. Most of the time I'm getting 47-48 down and 16-18 up.
    This is constant and doesn't matter the time of the day. Very happy with their service.

Was with skymesh for a month and was paying for a 50/20 connection and during peak was lucky to get 3 down.
    I think the best is don't go for an unlimited connection as it can slow you down. Also you have too do some work on the house end and only have the one port. As having more tends to have drastic results.
    Someone said it's like having multiple taps and not turning them off properly, I think them more technical will explain it better

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234