Thread: Ransomware Popups!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default Ransomware Popups!

Today I got a really scary Ransomware Popup that looked like an old Windows system message & was telling me that my computer was being encrypted and that I needed to buy a key to unlock my files, blah blah blah.

If you get one of these, don't click on anything, just switch off at the power point & don't open the browser you were using, after restart, until you have scanned & removed the unwanted program that has the popup adds in it.

It was not actually a virus, just Malware that tries to get you to click on a link that will install the virus.

So I got it whilst passively watching a video from the YouTube Clips thread, the video was at a hosting site called sendvid.
    The ransomware popup got thru malwarebytes antiexploit, locking the popup on screen demanding money for an unlock key, with no way to stop it except off at the power point.
    After restart, windows defender said it had detected & removed it.

No obvious sign of it now.

Did a full scan with malwarebytes to make sure; which detected a malware link to Terraclicks (see below).
    Removed it.

PC is now clean & the redirect is gone. Checked browser history & Terraclicks was the page opened directly after I opened the video, then the redirect to the popup occurred, I manually removed them so they can't be accidentally clicked on in history.
    I did nothing to initiate the Terraclicks link, so it must have automated when playing the video. Be careful!!

Terraclicks is characterised with creating a large quantity of pop-ups, banners, ad-filled pages. It is even capable of transforming certain words from the text you read into hyperlinks and they will also display an Ad when you hover over them. Ads from Terraclicks may be small and subtle, but more often then not they will be big, shiny and demanding attention. The most annoying ones also come with sound, which will cause a lot of annoyance until you find the correct close button. So yes, the Ads are an annoyance and they will also slow down your computer. Your CPU has to load the Ads in addition to whatever page you are opening and to do that it also needs to download the data needed to display them. Don’t click on the Ads – they don’t mean you good The Ads created by Terraclicks Virus are aggravating for a purpose – they want to attract your attention. It’s a trap. If you begin interacting with the Ads – even if you do it out of curiosity – it puts your computer at risk. Adware applications like Terraclicks Virus are known as “droppers” for other, more dangerous viruses like ransomware, keyloggers, rootkits and others. If the direct approach doesn’t work Terraclicks Virus might try to make you install the virus yourself. This is done through the use of deception and misdirection. Generally first you will be shown an Ad that looks exactly like a system message. It will claim there is some problem – a missing plug-in or require a certain video player or codec installed in order to view media online. You’ll then be provided a link to click on in order to install whatever is missing. There isn’t really any problem and the file you are about to install will contain the virus.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

cmangle (24-10-16),DB44 (24-10-16),joezep (22-12-16),mtv (24-10-16),OSIRUS (22-12-16),Thala Dan (24-10-16),tristen (24-10-16)

3. Look Here ->