Thread: Intelsat19 in Melbourne

Thanks

Default Intelsat19 in Melbourne

Hi all,

I recently managed to procure myself a satellite tuner, a SatKing DVBS-HD600CA. I've wanted to play around with one for many years and have often visited Lyngsat to see what's available, but the relatively small amount of channels of interest has prevented me from investing in a dish or tuner!

I've since sourced an ex-Foxtel dish from a place a mate was moving out of - then strapped this to the leg of an old table and set it up in my yard (ghetto as!) and pointed it roughly in the right direction and put the TV next to the window for fine-tuning.

With this setup, I've been able to receive Optus D1, D2 and C1/D3 successfully. According to SatBeams, I should be able to receive Intelsat 19 as well, but have so far been unsuccessful.

Here's the setup I'm using:

Foxtel dish (~65 x 72cm), Sharp quad 10700 LNB
    SatKing DVBS-HD600CA
    Transponder: 12286 H 30000 (also tried 12526 H 30000 and 12557 V 15000, as well as a couple of blind scans when approximately aligned.)

No matter how much aiming I do, I don't seem to be able to get any signal reading for this satellite, while I've had no trouble receiving any of the Optus satellites.

Is my equipment up to the task? I'm doing most of this at ground level in a built-up area, but again the ease with reaching Optus sats makes me hopeful that this isn't my limiting factor.

Any tips would be appreciated - thanks!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Firstly, 'roughly' in the right direction doesn't cut it. You must be 100% accurate with alignment.

IS19 is much lower to the horizon than the Optus sats, so with the dish on the ground, there may ne obstructions in the signal path.

Go to enter your address and select IS19. It shows your location using Google Earth.

Drag the marker to where your dish is.

It will show you an approximate direction to point the dish.

Optus satellites have a different LNB skew compared to other sats.

From Melbourne, the output connectors of your LNB for Optus sats are probably somewhere between the 6-7 o'clock position when viewed from the front of the dish.

For IS19 (and other non-Optus sats) the LNB position will be around the 5-6 o'clock position when viewed from the front of the dish.

Get the LNB skew roughly right before attempting to align the dish.

The mount for the dish also needs to be plumb, because if it isn't the dish and the LNB will tilt when you turn the dish, which will alter the receiving signal pattern and LNB skew.

TP 12557 V is encrypted.

You MUST watch a signal screen when performing alignment and skew adjustment.

Blindscan will not find anything until you have accurately aligned the dish.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (31-10-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Congratulations in managing to receive Optus D1, D2 and C1/D3, with what sounds to be a very improvised setup.

You say that the dish is installed at ground level in a built-up area.

Intelsat 19 is located 6 degrees east of Optus D1 and will be at a slightly lower elevation, so you will have to allow for this when searching. Make sure that there is nothing obscuring the satellite from the dish, such as other buildings, fences, trees etc.

The other thing is LNB skew. While the one skew adjustment will be O.K. for the Optus satellites, it will not be satisfactory for Intelsat 19.
    The LNB will need some additional skew adjustment (rotation of LNB(F) in its holder), with slightly more anti-clockwise rotation when viewed from the front of the dish (not from behind the dish). Don't overdo it, but make a small adjustments at a time, until you locate the satellite.

The signal at 12286 H is one of the strongest on the satellite. If you can locate this transponder and fine tune the dish (and LNB) to maximise the signal, you shouldn't have any trouble receiving other transponders also, in particular 12646 H and 12756 H.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

synoptica (31-10-16)

Thanks

Cheers mtv, that's really helpful. I did use dishpointer, which I was able to use to successfully find D1 etc. I had the skew at around ~8, but I'll try at the 5 position to see what happens.

Dishpointer has skew for D1 as 18.4° and I19 as 24.7° which made me think it was closer to 8; I'm guessing I'm incorrect in this understanding?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by synoptica View Post
    Cheers mtv, that's really helpful. I did use dishpointer, which I was able to use to successfully find D1 etc. I had the skew at around ~8, but I'll try at the 5 position to see what happens.

Dishpointer has skew for D1 as 18.4° and I19 as 24.7° which made me think it was closer to 8; I'm guessing I'm incorrect in this understanding?
    Dishpointer elevation & azimuth calculations are OK but I've never been able to figure out how they determine skew.

Somehow I think it may be relevant to the northern hemisphere, as the figures don't match up in reality in Australia.

You'll likely find optimum skew for non-Optus sats will be somewhere between the 5 & 6 o'clock positions (as viewed from the front of the dish.)

LNB skew mostly affects signal quality, which is more important than signal strength.

You have to watch a signal screen whilst making adjustments, if you don't have a decent satellite meter.

You need to allow a couple seconds for signal displays to 'catch up' after making fine adjustments, as they do not display in real time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

synoptica (31-10-16)

Thanks

Thanks tristen, and again mtv - the skewing was definitely something I had wrong! Improvised is one way of putting it - it's certainly a very rudimentary rig! But at a grand total of $0, I'm pretty pleased with it

I've ventured out now and had another crack with the adjusted skew but I still can't get a reading, even though I can find D1 and D2 without any trouble. I've been making very slight adjustments and allowing for the lag with the readings, but no joy.

Most buildings around me are 3 storey and I've got a ~1.8m brick fence, so I'm going to say the lower angle of I19 might be something I can't overcome.

Cheers again guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Here's a free program that may be of some assistance:

You'll see a tab marked "Obstacles".......on that page you can input "Height of obstacle" and "Distance to obstacle".......it will display in real time, the angle needed to clear that obstacle.

Couple of comments about the program:

Just be alert when doing the install....from memory it asks you if you'd like to install some kind of program that you really don't need.....just say No...at least it has the decency to ask you

It has a nag screen at each startup....just hit the "Close" button when it's highlighted and it will go away.

It's a handy little program that will give you Az/El for all the satellites within your reach once you've entered your Lat and Long.

There's another program called Gorbtrack:

It's a considerably more advanced in its options and capabilities, and has a similar "Obstacles" capability which includes an input for dish height (not much in your case).

It’s a little trickier to install, and requires regular updates of satellite info from the internet.

The first program mentioned will definitely meet your current requirements, the second program will become increasingly useful as you invariably become addicted to chasing more and more satellites

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    but I've never been able to figure out how they determine skew.
    From an example of Intelsat 20 from my location, I know the LNB skew is "4.30 to 5 o' clock" position roughly. So, that would be "1.5 to 2 hours" into the "3 hour" sector that is a 90° angle between 3 o' clock and 6 o' clock (H and V, respectively), or about 45-60° clockwise from horizontal.

Looking at their angle, there is a little clockwise symbol, and they give me 48.8°. So, if I had to guess, I would say it's the degrees, clockwise, from the horizontal (or 3 o' clock mark), I assume looking at the LNB and dish face-on.

From what I can remember, normally LNB skew is supposed to be reported as + degrees from the vertical (6 o' clock) if you rotate to the left (face-on) clockwise, or - degrees from the vertical if you rotate to the right (face-on) anti-clockwise. This angle they give would be the 90° complementary angle I guess. So, your angle would be 90 minus this angle if you are looking between the 3 o' clock and 6 o' clock position. If you go into the other sector (6 o' clock 9 o' clock) I don't know what happens then, as I've never tested one of those yet. I don't know if it continues from 90-180° or if they give it a - sign, I don't know.

Edit: just tried one, in that case, they seem to give it as a - angle, in the anti-clockwise direction, I'm assuming from the 9 o' clock position.
    Last edited by irritant; 01-11-16 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks

This is my setup on the back porch when I want to play with Ku band satellites, in this case pointed at IS-19.

Saves getting on the roof & farnarkaling around!
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

gulliver (01-11-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    This is my setup on the back porch when I want to play with Ku band satellites, in this case pointed at IS-19.

Saves getting on the roof & farnarkaling around!
    Got this pair as seedlings from Bunnings.

Guess the wet weather has helped them along a bit.

A bit of warm weather and they might get big enough to use on C-band.

IS 19 and D2.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

irritant (01-11-16)