Thread: RAI Quality all over the place.

Thanks

Default RAI Quality all over the place.

Good Evening,

My elderly Italian neighbor finally convinced me to have a look at his RAI setup as it was pixelating badly. On checking the signal strength & quality I found that the signal was steady at 84% & the quality was swinging between 20% to 63% with very little wind. It has been very windy here in Adelaide lately & he suspected the dish may have moved. This is not the case as when I checked the BBC feeds on Asiasat 5 4132 H 10537 it was rock solid on signal 85% & quality 70%. On my own setup I also get some transponders on I19 that are all over the place with quality. Can someone kindly advise me as to why this is happening on RAI.

Thanks
    mrfish

Look Here ->
    Thanks

No problem here in Melbourne 85% signal strength, 80 quality and steady.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

It's all good (97/81) here in NE Vic as well.

RAI is DVB-S2 and as such can be a bit finnicky in the adjustment area.

The jumping between 20% and 63% sounds suspiciously like a LNB skew issue....something that is critical when it comes to DVB-S2.

Although the BBC is also DVB-S2, a good signal on that transponder does not guarantee the same outcome on another.

The other indicator is the fact that the BBC is on a Horizontal transponder, whereas RAI is on a Vertical transponder.........so comparisons between the two signals don't really nail it for you.

Could be the LNB is skewed in such a way that favours H over V.

I'd be fiddling with the dish alignment and LNB skew with 3700V as the monitoring signal.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

irritant (31-10-16),mrfish (01-11-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

As you're aware, Adelaide has had some extreme wind events recently.

RAI doesn't take much to upset it, so I'd be inclined to think the dish has moved a tad and needs to be peaked again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
    Good Evening,

when I checked the BBC feeds on Asiasat 5 4132 H 10537 it was rock solid on signal 85% & quality 70%. On my own setup I also get some transponders on I19 that are all over the place with quality. Can someone kindly advise me as to why this is happening on RAI.

Thanks
    mrfish
    The satellite transponders are uplinked from different locations and have different up link power level hens the signal level vary's for each transponder. On Asiasat 5 I can get BBC on 1.6m dish but no hope for Rai. As of late we also notice terrestrial interference from 4G network effecting lower frequencies. Quality fluctuation from 80% to nothing indicate terrestrial interface. Nowadays The minimum dish size for Rai, RTP and TVE would have to be 2.3m with a good quality LNB preferblly narrow band 3.7 to 4.2Ghz with a PLL Oscillator.