Thread: Remote internet

Thanks

Default Remote internet

Just pondering an idea.
    We have a perfectly good working nbn internet/phone here at home, but when we travel to visit friends 500Ks away there is no internet.
    Remember the old days, about when the internet started up. At my work we used to send and receive files by directly dialing the other company's number.
    I thought about this the other day and wondered if I took a modem with me, would I be able to connect to the internet by dialing back to my home number and logging on through the home modem.
    Does that sound feasible ?

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

It's actually relatively easy though there is probably not much demand for it these days. You'll need a computer to install the necessary software. And a dial-up modem at each end. You will get internet but at dial-up speeds. Googling dial-in server will give you a heap of material, much of it quite dated, but it will give you the general idea. Most of it seems to be for Linux. Not sure how well supported it is on Windows now but it used to be okay. It was apparently working well up until Windows 7. Not sure about later versions. Also, since it is a server function Microsoft probably only provides it for some of the pricier versions of Windows.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (17-11-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    It's actually relatively easy though there is probably not much demand for it these days. You'll need a computer to install the necessary software. And a dial-up modem at each end. You will get internet but at dial-up speeds. Googling dial-in server will give you a heap of material, much of it quite dated, but it will give you the general idea. Most of it seems to be for Linux. Not sure how well supported it is on Windows now but it used to be okay. It was apparently working well up until Windows 7. Not sure about later versions. Also, since it is a server function Microsoft probably only provides it for some of the pricier versions of Windows.
    Ah bummer, I forgot about the dialing and answering bit. That means I'd be stuck with 56k modems, might be a bit too slow I think.
    I've still got a couple of adsl 2+ modems I haven't thrown out yet and that's what I had in mind when the idea first struck me.
    Oh well day dreaming again ... lol

Thanks

You won't get ADSL through a switched voice circuit. ADSL frequencies start at around 25kHz which won't go through normal switching circuits.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (18-11-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Most isps will give you a dial up number if you need it...

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk