Thread: Installing Hills Reliance R128

Thanks

Default Considering Installing Hills Reliance R128

Looking at installing a Reliance R128 system in my house to replace the ageing DL250 that has been there since I moved in.

I was wondering if anyone here who knows the system would be able to answer a few questions about it and whether it would be suitable.

I have 6 PIR zones + Smoke Alarm. I understand the R128 does 8 zones without zone doubling. I have heard in numerous places that zone doubling is not the best configuration if it can be avoided so should probably go for the R128 rather than the R8 (4 zones doubled to 8). Is the general consensus here that zone doubling should be avoided on these panels?

Am I correct in assuming that with my 6 PIRs and smoke, I will be using 7 zones with one free, or is the 8th zone occupied by something like the siren tamper switch?

Would I need my house to be rewired or would the wiring that was used in the DL250 be of the same specification as required by the R128?

I am also interested in self monitoring the system with a ComNav module. As I no longer have a phone line I would like to connect this via 3G, is this module compatible with 3G out of the box or is another 3G communicator needed in addition to this? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by mikewil; 19-11-16 at 10:25 PM.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Hi
    yes r128 is excellent panel one of the best on the market.its eight zone or 16 double.whats beat for you is leave it as a eight zone panel setup.you just need to replace main panel and codepad on the system.smoke detextors are NORMAL OPEN device so zone doubling not suit iy as it will cause a short on the other zone its doubled with.

Banned
    Thanks

Comnav works over the internet.ao as long you a ethernet connection to the internet should work fine.
    i have install there system before where cable run from comnav module then pluged into netcomm modem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikewil View Post
    Looking at installing a Reliance R128 system in my house to replace the ageing DL250 that has been there since I moved in.

I was wondering if anyone here who knows the system would be able to answer a few questions about it and whether it would be suitable.

I have 6 PIR zones + Smoke Alarm. I understand the R128 does 8 zones without zone doubling. I have heard in numerous places that zone doubling is not the best configuration if it can be avoided so should probably go for the R128 rather than the R8 (4 zones doubled to 8). Is the general consensus here that zone doubling should be avoided on these panels?

Am I correct in assuming that with my 6 PIRs and smoke, I will be using 7 zones with one free, or is the 8th zone occupied by something like the siren tamper switch?

Would I need my house to be rewired or would the wiring that was used in the DL250 be of the same specification as required by the R128?

I am also interested in self monitoring the system with a ComNav module. As I no longer have a phone line I would like to connect this via 3G, is this module compatible with 3G out of the box or is another 3G communicator needed in addition to this? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've installed hundreds of these panels, really reliable but make sure you get a better keypad then the LED one, maybe the LCD touch nav or voice nav. If using a com nav i guess the keypad isn't a major issue i just think the LED style are so outdated now.

as for zone doubling done it heaps of times but wouldn't recommend it on the smoke alarm, just remember the negative on the smokie goes to the SMOKE terminal on the board for the reset aspect of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight1982 View Post
    I've installed hundreds of these panels, really reliable but make sure you get a better keypad then the LED one, maybe the LCD touch nav or voice nav. If using a com nav i guess the keypad isn't a major issue i just think the LED style are so outdated now.

as for zone doubling done it heaps of times but wouldn't recommend it on the smoke alarm, just remember the negative on the smokie goes to the SMOKE terminal on the board for the reset aspect of it.
    I kind of like the look of the basic LED keypad. I think it looks sleeker and nicer than the others. Is there a reason you advise against this one?

And re zone doubling, I have heard from various sources that zone doubling can create more headaches down the track and makes it more difficult to diagnose errors with sensors etc.

Anyone have any thoughts about a 3G connection for the ComNav? I don't like the idea of relying on the broadband connection as even with a UPS, broadband connections aren't reliable by nature. The service can go down or modem disconnects for an unknown reason etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikewil View Post
    I kind of like the look of the basic LED keypad. I think it looks sleeker and nicer than the others. Is there a reason you advise against this one?

And re zone doubling, I have heard from various sources that zone doubling can create more headaches down the track and makes it more difficult to diagnose errors with sensors etc.

Anyone have any thoughts about a 3G connection for the ComNav? I don't like the idea of relying on the broadband connection as even with a UPS, broadband connections aren't reliable by nature. The service can go down or modem disconnects for an unknown reason etc.
    The tower can also go down as well, if you are self monitoring, the using your broadband is fine......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xr5adam View Post
    The tower can also go down as well, if you are self monitoring, the using your broadband is fine......
    I have had far more broadband outages than mobile outages. The tower can go down, however where I live there are multiple towers within range. It will pick up a (weaker) signal from one further away if the closest one goes down for whatever reason.

I also haven't decided whether self monitoring or not. What other connection options are there when being monitored by a firm (without telephone or NBN connection)?
    Last edited by mikewil; 21-11-16 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks

Plenty of 3G options out there. Permaconn, Direct Wireless, Multipath, Emizon, Multicomm etc. With a Reliance it's not really going to matter that much which option you choose. I would suggest that you go with a product that's well supported so you have the option to change providers down the track without swapping hardware.