Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FM radio antenna

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Now I'm thinking what a 75 ohm resistor across the antenna port will do. That should confirm or eliminate an internal problem.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Actually the second picture above is the original antenna that came with the receiver. The first picture shows the connection of the cheap antenna I bought, which is a rabbit ears style TV and FM antenna. Both work but hum. The hum doesnt happen when I play DVDs so it does seem to be a just the radio.

I went and enquired at HN in Nowra about the cost of a new amplifier/FM receiver; they dont make them anymore it seems. All I want is something that will pick up FM and I can plug my speakers and DVD player into to get a good sound. It seems that modern technology has passed me by...

Thanks

Could it be some sort of earth loop? Disconnect the other sources - i.e. DVD, and whatever else is connected. Leave only the speakers and power. Next, make sure the Amp is not touching anything else, including yourself and whatever else it is sitting on (put a newspaper underneath to help separated them). Is the noise still there??

Thanks

When FM is selected as tuner mode, and all antennas are disconnected, is the hum still present, & does it vary with the volume control?

Or is the hum only present when a FM station is being received?
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

tristen (27-11-16)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bristow View Post
    I went and enquired at HN in Nowra about the cost of a new amplifier/FM receiver; they dont make them anymore it seems. All I want is something that will pick up FM and I can plug my speakers and DVD player into to get a good sound. It seems that modern technology has passed me by...
    I understand what you mean.
    You might have to look in the second hand market, OP shops, Ebay, etc.
    Seeing the amp section is still working how about just getting a tuner and connect it to a free imput
    For example here is a very nice one from Kenwood right now:

... but please before you consider getting something else, confirm at least with a portable radio that there is no interference problem at that location, like I mentioned above. It could be something a simple as a dodgy Chinese power adaptor plugged in nearby.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-11-16 at 12:16 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Thanks for the replies folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    When FM is selected as tuner mode, and all antennas are disconnected, is the hum still present, & does it vary with the volume control?

Or is the hum only present when a FM station is being received?
    The hum is only present when the antenna is connected. There is no hum when FM is selected but the antenna is not connected.

Gitch: The hum remains if I disconnect the DVD player etc and isolate the receiver.

Trash: I havent had a chance yet to try the 75 Ohm resistor, but I will.

Nomeat: Thanks for that suggestion; I see there are quite a few receivers on Ebay; do such receivers have built in amplifiers (my current Marantz does) or are they simply tuners?

Finally, my neighbor suggested I just get a docking station/speaker/mobile phone/Ipod system, and dispense with the old system. IS that a good suggestion?
    Last edited by bristow; 28-11-16 at 08:13 AM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bristow View Post
    Nomeat: Thanks for that suggestion; I see there are quite a few receivers on Ebay; do such receivers have built in amplifiers (my current Marantz does) or are they simply tuners?

Finally, my neighbor suggested I just get a docking station/speaker/mobile phone/Ipod system, and dispense with the old system. IS that a good suggestion?
    The one I posted above for $45 +post was just a tuner(no amp) that you can plug into your Marantz used as an amplifier. That tuner is old but very good quality.

Here is an example for complete receiver(with amp) for $99+p which looks like a good value if you might want surround sound one day. It has digital inputs, which I see as a big advantage over your old Marantz.
    I don't know how sensitive the actual radio section is on these newer models are but Pioneer (in the eighties) had very good FM sensitivity back then.

Radio over internet:
    Today people use their smartphone for everything which could be the reason why you are having troubles finding proper audio/radio equipment at HN.
    That depends on your personal likes.

I use both, hifi and wifi
    ...and would never want to restrict myself to only one.

Internet radio means 100,000 radio stations from all over the world. That is very exiting for me, when I have the time to focus and fiddle around with it.

Just for listening to music in the background or while I am working in the garage, I prefer to just press one button on an old radio and have the local radio station babbling on.
    However I also have an old iPod(Ebay for $20) taped to an old 1960's portable radio(used as speaker amplifier) from a garage sale for 5 bucks. That is mostly also for the garage or garden.
    The cons about using internet are that your favourite local station might not be broadcasting on the net and 3 hours radio a day will use about 4GB in a month(if that is an issue).

You could find an old Android phone/device(if you don't have one ask a mate) and see how you get on with listening to radio with it. Just connect it's headphone jack with a simple cable (3.5mm to RCA) to your Marantz.
    Tunein is the most common app for radio, but IMO they have ruined it with the later versions.
    However with Android you can install old versions by downloading the apk file directly like here:

Edit: Those docking stations with inbuilt speakers will sound like shit if you have been used to listening with decent sized speakers through your Marantz.
    If you like the net radio idea then find a cradle to support you device with power supply and connectivity to your amp.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-11-16 at 10:54 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    ... but please before you consider getting something else, confirm at least with a portable radio that there is no interference problem at that location, like I mentioned above. It could be something a simple as a dodgy Chinese power adaptor plugged in nearby.
    I tried with a portable FM radio and there was no interference at this particular location, so it seems specific to my radio receiver.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Possibly the hum could be being picked up from a device close to where the antenna wire is.... such as a power supply.

As an experiment, can you try the receiver in another room in the house?... to save moving speakers, use headphones if it has provision for them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (28-11-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I had a hum one time but I think it was another Amp when I tried to connect the coax into the rear socket.
    The coax was from this same antenna I have now with a 25db Kingray Amp.
    I was using a standard PAL type connector so checked I hadnt caused a short but everything seemed ok so in desperation, I simply peeled the outer braid back so it didnt make contact with the plug case, connected the centre wire to the pin, plugged it in and NO HUM !!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I had a hum one time but I think it was another Amp when I tried to connect the coax into the rear socket.
    The coax was from this same antenna I have now with a 25db Kingray Amp.
    I was using a standard PAL type connector so checked I hadnt caused a short but everything seemed ok so in desperation, I simply peeled the outer braid back so it didnt make contact with the plug case, connected the centre wire to the pin, plugged it in and NO HUM !!!
    That would be the classic case of double earthing causing an earth loop but we have pretty much ruled that out now. He is already only connecting the centre wire without touching the plug case.

Yes by all means try the amp in a different location, possibly near a window. That won't solve your problem(unless you are willing to change your interior design) but if it still hums you have at least double checked that the receiver is the culprit.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-11-16 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks

If the amplifier only has a 2 wire power cord, earth the case of the amplifier, or the FM antenna connector outer, or the braid of the coaxial cable to see if this offers any help.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

FM receivers have rfamp next from antenna,might be Q, if has fault would be source of noise,hum. Think of it, amp powered up, suddenly input,ant ,not there!

Banned
    Thanks

Maybe the antenna isn't in a working condition. Probably the new antenna was already dead when you received it.

Whatever it is, don't you think your radio has already done it's duty for his lifetime? It's been 25 years already. I don't think you should expect anything more from it.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alaves View Post
    Maybe the antenna isn't in a working condition. Probably the new antenna was already dead when you received it.

Whatever it is, don't you think your radio has already done it's duty for his lifetime? It's been 25 years already. I don't think you should expect anything more from it.
    What a depressing outlook.

Doesn't say much for buying 1980 Class A Amplifiers for insane amounts of money
    Last edited by ol' boy; 29-11-16 at 08:37 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

mtv (29-11-16),tristen (29-11-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Did you actually look at what the new antenna is?

It's just a short length of wire..... not much to go wrong there.

As for old gear..... love to keep mine running.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (30-11-16),Softek2 (30-11-16),tristen (29-11-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Why would you not want to keep a decent piece of equipment going, in favor of replacing it for a lot of the rubbish that's around these days.

What is your recommendation for this piece of equipment I purchased a few weeks ago, that needs to be refurbished yet?

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

ammlione (02-12-16),mtv (30-11-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The HiFi equivalent of a Muscle Car.

To add to this thread, i have tried many of the suggestions mentioned in this thread, when this happened to me
    (Well worse, it was a clients Receiver.... So i really had to try a lot of things to get it back working as he was used too)

In my case, nothing worked.
    Tried Earthing
    Tried a new Passive Antenna
    Tried Isolating the Receiver from any other equipment
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    What is your recommendation for this piece of equipment I purchased a few weeks ago, that needs to be refurbished yet?
    What a lovely old unit. Definitely worth refurbishing.

Here is an ad for it in 1962.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (01-12-16),mtv (30-11-16),tristen (30-11-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Speaking of strange Antenna behaviour
    Yesterday i was doing my gutters, while i had the hose on the roof, i gave the 3 Terrestrial Andtennas and 4 Dishes a hose down.
    Last night and today i have the entire Ch 7 group of channels dropping in and out due to low SNR.

Pays to just leave things alone sometimes

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast