Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FM radio antenna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Now I'm thinking what a 75 ohm resistor across the antenna port will do. That should confirm or eliminate an internal problem.
    Do you mean connecting a 75 ohm resistor between antenna and radio?

I have tried doing this, but the hum persists. Actually just holding one end of the resistor against the central pole of the FM antenna port gets good reception, except for the hum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Possibly the hum could be being picked up from a device close to where the antenna wire is.... such as a power supply.

As an experiment, can you try the receiver in another room in the house?... to save moving speakers, use headphones if it has provision for them.
    Yes I tried this too, but the hum persists when the receiver is in another room.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The image you posted of the antenna connections on the rear of the radio show a terminal labelled "MW/LW" (medium wave/long wave).

Is the hum present on MW, i.e. AM radio stations also?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

It's now sounding like the antenna issue may just be coincidental and there is a component problem.

Possibly a valve and given the age, electrolytic capacitors drying out would be a prime suspect, the same with dry solder joints.

Thanks

No there is no hum on the MW.

And yes, I think that it is probably a component problem; the receiver is old and has been around the world, and for a long time.

I am thinking of getting a new tuner or tuner/amp from EBAy. Both the ones Nomeat suggested are no longer available. What should I look for in the ones offered on Ebay (age, connections, brand etc)? Some of them are cheap, but some are also old.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It's now sounding like the antenna issue may just be coincidental and there is a component problem.

Possibly a valve and given the age, electrolytic capacitors drying out would be a prime suspect, the same with dry solder joints.
    I also think that it's coincidental.

If the OP really wants the unit repaired, he should get someone with appropriate experience and qualifications to look at the radio.

I remember repairing many similar tuner/amps many years ago. It could well be considered uneconomical/impractical to (commercially) repair such an old unit. However, it could well be taken on as a "project" by someone with the appropriate background.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123