Thread: Computer crashed big time last week.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Computer crashed big time last week.

Which forum for this ???

On Wenesday last week, the desk top finally refused to function.
    When I turned it on, after a few moments I got a screen saver but when I tried to go past that, I got a box up asking for a User name/Password which I NEVER use and after entering something, I told me I wasnt able to sign into the device at the moment and wanted me to go to another site.
    I stuffed about but after getting absolutely no where, I called on the services of a local Computer service.
    I had been having problems with the computer for some time and it was running so damned slow I felt had no choice.

He came and unfortunately had to take it away as it was obvious even to me that it wasnt just a case off press 'Any Key', Delete and Enter and everything would be up and running.
    Before the computer went, it was refusing to find and connect with the printer via the router although it was showing as the default one in the Control panel, now its back to normal.

The fact he came here rather than me taking to him was a big help and now its running like it should so I am happy with what he charged.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Which forum for this ???....
    It really depends on whether the fault was software or hardware related.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

So what was the problem and what was done to fix it?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I'm guessing that the problem may have been scumware related.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (08-12-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Ok, he did a systems restore which would NOT work for me earlier, removed macafee which had been just sitting there, 'TRUEKEY' a program I inadvertently downloaded with I think an Adobe update, removed Quicktime which surprised me, fixed that 'Group Policy Client service' that was missing from the registry and he vacuumed out about half a tonne of dust that had collected internally since I bought it as I have never taken the covers off this computer.
    Fixed HDD errors, (who hasnt got them?) properly updated Windows and a few other things I cant read on the docket.
    Let's face reality and agree he could tell me he greased the 4 way dividor apparatus defunctioner and chrome plated the intercostal verticular matrix and I wouldnt be any the wiser but its WORKING and working far better than it has done for some time.

Tiny, that TRUEKEY program I feel played a big part in the eventual failure as it was the program telling me I couldnt sign in and to go to this other site.
    Now whether it was MALWARE itself or just reacting to faults and other problems as you would expect something like Kasparsky to do to prevent narsties hitting the Computer I dont know but its GONE now.
    Also he removed some redundant programs that I hadnt quite removed properly before.
    Remember years ago it was the 'Done Thing' to run several anti virus programs both free and paid but it was found it was a case of 'Too Many Anti Virus' programs locked up the Computer as every time you went to do something each checker program would do a check and recheck and check again.............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

True Key is a legitimate program from Intel, not malware or virus, your not understanding of how it functioned may have been your problem.
    EDIT: it is safe to click on the link below if you want to understand what True Key is & does, just don't download & install it unless you want to use it!
    I wouldn't bother with it as I prefer to remember my own passwords the way I want to.

Last edited by Tiny; 08-12-16 at 11:56 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (08-12-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    True Key is a legitimate program from Intel, not malware or virus, your not understanding of how it functioned may have been your problem.
    EDIT: it is safe to click on the link below if you want to understand what True Key is & does, just don't download & install it unless you want to use it!
    I wouldn't bother with it as I prefer to remember my own passwords the way I want to.

This is why I said I didnt think it was a MALWARE program but I never used it to set/store passwords but something went seriously wrong last week and suddenly up came the logo wanting a sign in password for Windows, something I had never used before.
    Except for 'naming' the computer as you do when first starting out and designating it as the 'Home' one, I obviously had none to enter so I used the one for the email but that didnt work and neither did anything else.

The computer was running abysmally slow and could take from 10 to 40 seconds to refresh the home page, something that before and now only takes a second or 2.