Thread: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Thanks

Default Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children reminds us of what we loved about Tim Burton before he got distracted by all that big budget Batman, Planet of the Apes and Alice In Wonderland nonsense. Burton's strength is in his dark fairy tales of Edward Scissorhands ilk and this film is a return to form in that style.

Unafraid to unsettle his young target audience (if only just a bit), Burton keeps the creepiness quotient on a low boil while interspersing the proceedings with enough lightness to keep things on the sweet dreams side of nightmares. My 9yo was fine with it and, indeed, loved it. Think Coraline-level macabre but perhaps a touch more grisly.

It pays to keep your wits about you in order to follow the film's mild time-bending eccentricities but, if you keep up, it's not hard to follow. There are some minor continuity issues in the editing but if you follow the broad strokes it's easy to fill in the obvious blanks yourself.

Eva Green is all regimented grace and beauty as the titular Miss Peregrine; guardian and mentor to her flock of children with peculiar abilities, protecting them from a bullish world intolerant of those who do not comply with the norm. Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Ender's Game) does well as Jake, the tender boy with no apparent peculiarity, tasked with saving them all from the evil Barron (Samuel L. Jackson), who means to sacrifice them all for the sake of his own immortality. The rest of the young cast also hold their own. There is also a welcome surprise in the impressive array of seasoned actors filling out the secondary roles which include Judi Dench, Rupert Everett, Allison Janney, Chris O'Dowd and Terence Stamp.

Following on from last year's Big Eyes, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a positive sign that Burton's quality trend is on the up once more.

8 out of 10.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slickstu For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (09-10-16)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Nicely written slickstu. I'll have to try and borrow my young nephew so I can pretend I'm taking him to see it..

• The Following User Says Thank You to Brenguns For This Useful Post:

slickstu (19-10-16)

Banned
    Thanks

I watched the movie with my family when it just got released.I never liked what he did to Alice in Wonderland but this movie was good.

Banned
    Thanks

The story was somewhat good for the kids and young teenagers. I just don't know why would a director like "Tim Burton" choose this kind of movie. We really expect something more from him. He got some magical tough of his own. I think "Big Fish 2003" is his best work. Can't just pass by without mentioning "Sweeney Todd". I like his these kinds of movie more than the kinds as Batman 1989, Alice in Wonderland.... etc