Thread: Bug zapper query deleted?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Bug zapper query deleted?

The other day I posted a query about a bug zapper and included a picture, one of the first I have successfully posted but the query seems to have 'disappeared'.
    Did I breach some protocol I am not aware of causing the query to be not just closed but deleted it seems??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

It was the back up Gordon.
    As said by Admin
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Admin requested a system restore to recover the joke thread which was accidentally deleted.

In doing so, posts made yesterday after the restore point were lost.... yours would be one of them.

I responded that diodes failing is a common fault with bug zappers.

• 11-12-16, 06:31 AM

Reason
    OT

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply as I wasnt aware until now that Austech had a problem as I didnt see the message.
    My main concern was that maybe I had posted something inappropriate which I hope never to do.
    One thing though pleases me is to see I am not the only one who has computer problems.........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Thanks for the reply as I wasnt aware until now that Austech had a problem as I didnt see the message.
    My main concern was that maybe I had posted something inappropriate which I hope never to do.
    One thing though pleases me is to see I am not the only one who has computer problems.........
    It was an operator error not actually a computer problem, but we all have at some time computer problems Gordon. Some people are just too embarrassed (or proud) to admit it
    Then there are the true nut cases like me who occasionally get rather excited about computer problems, although I am sick of Windows related computer problems because they never end.

As for BugZapper problems I find intense cleaning with an air compresser (or an air duster can) in every crack and crevice often gets them going. It might also reveal a carbon trace that is shorting it which you can file or scrape away. Also clean the elctronic board and look closely for carbon residue as an evidence of arcing from dust and condensation.

There should be a little fuse somewhere that you can check.

Might just be the light broken and the high voltage still active. Use a water spray bottle adjusted to a fine mist and spray once very ightly in the mesh to hear/see sparks.

As for the circuit anything can fail.
    The capacitors and diodes between the transformer and the wires to the grids(which sometimes break off) are likely candidates as is the transformer itself.
    If I remember correctly you are not very deep into electronics but if you have a multimeter we can step you through some safe passive tests if you post a close up of the electronic board, preferably from both sides.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks nomeat and your right in saying I am not 'deep into electronics' and this one using such high voltages is one to be kept at an arms length or I could have a very 'Bad Hair Day'
    Oceanboy sent me a site that sells these Zappers and I honestly didnt think they were so cheap to buy new.
    The last time I looked some years ago these were far more expensive than those I have seen currently on Ebay.
    I detest throwing things away but nothing last forever so at the moment I want to see whats on sale locally before I decide what to do.