Thread: Stereo overheating

Thanks

Default Stereo overheating

I have a Sony STR K840p everything works fine for about 30 to 60 minutes or as I suspect warms up, the sound output continues in any mode but there is no response from the manual or remote control eg vol up or down on/off nothing. If you turn it off from the power point and leave it for 30 minutes It works allright again and the same thing happens. I have removed the top and blown out the dust. I heard u can spray some FREEZE SPRAY on parts to try and find the fault but not sure where to start

Any Ideas would be helpful

Thanks Thomo

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Sounds like a dry solder joint... heats up, expands and loses contact.

Some components also play up with heat.

With freeze spray, you trace the circuit through.

It's usually used in conjunction with test equipment.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

RedXT (12-12-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The main problem here is that if you continue to allow the Stereo to overheat it could cause other components to fail or at the extreme worst, the unit could catch on fire and apart from destroying the unit altogether, burn the house down.
    Just last Friday at Penrith NSW, a small sized flatscreen TV appears to have failed and began a fire but before it did, it filled the premises with smoke which put the occupant in Hospital and killed one of his 2 dogs.
    The majority of deaths from Fires are caused by smoke inhalation, not the fire.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h8fg4 View Post
    I have a Sony STR K840p everything works fine for about 30 to 60 minutes or as I suspect warms up, the sound output continues in any mode but there is no response from the manual or remote control eg vol up or down on/off nothing. If you turn it off from the power point and leave it for 30 minutes It works allright again and the same thing happens. I have removed the top and blown out the dust. I heard u can spray some FREEZE SPRAY on parts to try and find the fault but not sure where to start

Any Ideas would be helpful

Thanks Thomo
    Start with downloading the service manual here:

Warm up the amp until it's controls fail.

Check the voltage on IC1601 pins 23,35,84 is 3.3V and also check with the AC setting of your multimeter that it is 0.0V.

Locate the crystal X1601 and freeze spray on it without spaying IC1601 next to it.

If the volume control doesn't come back after a couple of minutes then spray the IC1601.
    If no results then start spraying the individual components that are connected to it like IC1904, IC102, etc.

As for OVER heating I am not sure what you mean. Is it so hot that it is uncomfortable to place your hand on top of the amp even though you are listening at low volume?
    This would be an independent fault.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

mtv (12-12-16),RedXT (12-12-16),tristen (12-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Start with downloading the service manual here:

As for OVER heating I am not sure what you mean. Is it so hot that it is uncomfortable to place your hand on top of the amp even though you are listening at low volume?
    This would be an independent fault.
    No it doesnt get hot to the touch, I was just assuming that whatever was failing was overheating

Thanks

Iv been looking but are the IC1601 pins 23,35,84 on the Digital Board or the Display Board