Thread: Time travel and the passage of time

Thanks

Default Time travel and the passage of time

In an episode of 12 Monkeys Cassandra re-appears in front of Cole. Cole asks her how long she was in 2043. She answers 8 months.

Cole should know this because he was the one who sent her to 2043. Surely time in 2043 and where Cole was "travels" at the same rate i.e. 1 day has exactly the same duration no matter where you are in time.

Or was the question asked so that the viewers knew how long she was in 2043?
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

What if she left Feb 2016, went to Feb 2043, stayed for 8 months, left Sept 2043 and returned to march 2016???? 8 months for her, 1 month for 2016 Cole.

When one travels through time, time is their oyster!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (14-12-16)

Thanks

I can handle that logic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

I watched a movie (I think it was on SBS) the other night called "Predestination" that was a mind bender...

A hermaphrodite (with both male and female organs), presented initially as female in the movie, who grew up in an orphanage, gets impregnated by a stranger and has the baby, which is abducted from the hospital and never seen again.

She then has a sex change operation because of complications during the delivery and "becomes" a man, who later travels back in time to impregnate his female self, then travels forward in time to abduct the baby, which he then takes further back in time and leaves at an orphanage.

So he/she is/was her/his own father & mother!

And that was only half the plot, as well as that there's two other versions of the guy jumping back and forth through time as we find out later that the most future version of this person has gone crazy from all the time jumping and is now jumping back in time to change history, but the middle version of him/her is sent back in time to hunt down the future version to stop him, only he doesn't know it's himself because he hasn't gone crazy yet.

Interesting movie, confusing as hell though, in fact even after I'd watched it I still didn't understand what had happened and so had to read up about it online.

Andrew

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Or, she could return to a point prior to her departure, so, is she older, or younger?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Lager

Thanks

That was a great movie. One you had to pay full attention to or your loose your way.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yeah causality was a bit fvcked up to begin with on 12 monkies. Now it's so messed up I'm not even sure when now is.
    The story is chronologically sequential but the plot changes with causality.

Westworld's story on the other hand isn't chronologically sequential, but causality is rock solid.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    12 monkies. Now it's so messed up
    Agreed. Will not be watching series 3 if/when it airs.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Be careful - Scientists have created a , Maybe Emmett Brown was on the right track, after all. Their next project could well be a flux capacitor!

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Yeah causality was a bit fvcked up to begin with on 12 monkies. Now it's so messed up I'm not even sure when now is.
    The story is chronologically sequential but the plot changes with causality.

Westworld's story on the other hand isn't chronologically sequential, but causality is rock solid.
    Does causality matter if when jumping back and forth you are just creating new time streams????

ie, go back, but return to a different, ever so different parallel time stream

It's more like 12 monkeys doesnt know which time fork they are in.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Time is relative to the viewer experiencing it.
    I haven't watched 12 monkeys yet (this thread is now hinting that I should start watching tonight) but it seems to me the viewer might be experiencing difficulties who's time frame they are following.
    Westworld on the other hand is for me as outside viewer rock solid chronologically sequencial and some droids are figuring out that their sequences are in chronological order too, which makes the story so interesting how they deal with that illumination, not so much the usual western 'casulties'

On the topic of time crystals I gave up after trying to fathom any of this:
    past
    which remarkably allows for the crystal to be in
    Maybe I need first a lot of beers to break the equilibrium in my brain.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Hey guys, don't know if I'm going off-topic here, but I've often wondered about something.

Everything we "release" here from earth, whether it be in the form of radio waves or whatever, travels into outer space as electromagnetic radiation.

If you think about it, it's bound to bounce off of celestial bodies in various directions, perhaps even back to earth.

Now, sure enough, whatever it is, is so weak at that point that it will not show up higher than background noise. But, what if we could invent detectors so sensitive and decoders and image or sound reconstructors sensitive enough to pick out information from this cosmic backscatter and with some effort, you can watch say a TV or radio broadcast from 20 years ago like it's live! (I know, I know, VHS tapes, but I'm just saying ). If we could work out a more complex system that could reconstruct stuff more complex than radio waves, like visible light, you may be able to see images/visuals of things that happened on earth any number of years ago.

You want to know who shot JFK, or who "Jack the Ripper" was, or even more interesting - what the earth looked like in it's early stages, the Archaean? Imagine being able to "see" all of this.
    Last edited by irritant; 13-03-17 at 11:47 PM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

LSemmens
    Thanks

That's not so far fetched Adrian. We may observe the past, any time we see a star we are looking at what happened years (or millenia) ago. If our space ships could ever break the speed of light, we may even get to view our own past.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

irritant (15-03-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

Westworld on the other hand is for me as outside viewer rock solid chronologically sequencial
    I'm guessing you haven't watched all of season 1. In which case I might have spoiled it for you.
    If you have watched ALL of season 1 and you still think it's sequential then I'll continue.

If you think about it, it's bound to bounce off of celestial bodies in various directions, perhaps even back to earth.
    Not quite a 'bounce' but gravitational lensing does what you are describing. An example is with a supernova in a distant galaxy that is being gravitationally lensed by a foreground galaxy creating what is known as an Einstein cross. Now if one path is just slightly longer than the other, lets say just 0.00000001% then the light coming from a galaxy 5 billion light years away will arrive one year later via one path than the other. We see a supernova event in the lens and then a year later we can watch it live in another branch.

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

irritant (14-03-17)