Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Google search problem.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Firefox Google search problem.

I wanted to find out about a movie I had seen with Charleton Heston in it but when I typed in his name in the Google search window, after a few moments it came back with the announcement that 'Firefox had detected the server was redirecting the search in a way it could not be completed'.

No matter what I enter into the search window, I get the same reply each time.
    There is a mention this problem could be caused by not accepting 'Cookies' but I havent changed any settings in anything to cause this problem.

Chrome is working ok so I am wondering as there has been an M/S update a couple of days ago, that now something isnt working as it did before between Firefox and M/S as this has happened before.
    Any ideas please or do we have to wait for a patch to be released?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Whenever I encounter a problem such as you have described, I immediately attempt to isolate the cause by using another search engine. There are many other alternatives to Google, e.g. duckduckgo, yahoo, dogpile etc. My default is duckduckgo. Use a search engine to look for others.

I have just tried a search using google with the search term "Charleton Heston movies" and it worked perfectly (Windows 10 Professional).

In your case, it might be merely a temporary hiccup.

Don't worry about it.

Premium Member

Thanks

I replaced Google with BING and that wont work either !!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Hi Gordon, no problems here with W10 & FF.
    Win updates were installed 2 days ago to both my W10 machines.
    FF also updated a couple of days ago.

Just in case you have a browser redirect type of malware attached to your FF browser I would run Malwarebytes to check.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks Tiny, I do have the 'Freebie' version of this program so I am now scanning to see what it detects.
    I dislike it when these things 'happen' because computers are very literal devises and are either 'ON' or 'OFF' and no grey areas in between.
    'Something' has caused this to happen and my concern is that this may only be part of a problem that could be something major if not attended to.

Ran malwares and it claims to have detected 548 items which have been both quarantined and deleted but I am always dubious when claims like this are made.
    Another thing is it been 13 days since the desktop crashed and was 'overhauled' and I hope, had all the garbage taken out.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-12-16 at 06:33 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    ...Another thing is it been 13 days since the desktop crashed and was 'overhauled' and I hope, had all the garbage taken out.
    When browsing on the wonderful www, it is not unusual to pick up garbage.

The world wide web is a wonderful tool, but like all tools, needs to be used wisely.

It is quite likely that you have accumulated garbage in the intervening period. In fact, I would be very surprised indeed if you haven't.

In order to protect my main Windows 10 computer, I have installed the following. As a consequence, I continue to have very few problems.

1/. Kaspersky Internet Security.

2/. Spyhunter 4 Professional.

3/. Malwarebytes.

4/. Spybot S&D.

5/. Adware Removal Tool by TSA.

No anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware or other nasty-detecting software is perfect, consequently each will miss something, which hopefully is picked up by others.

And by the way...they all will report false positives from time-to-time. None is perfect.

I DO NOT use Bing as it merely gathers information for Microsoft, which is collated and sold to advertisers and others.

I DO NOT use Google if I can possibly avoid it as they are the world's largest gatherer of information and maintain many cross-linked data-bases of user information, which is then collated and sold to advertisers etc. Google knows more about you than the government or your own family does.

I DO NOT use any of the Microsoft anti-virus or anti-malware tools, which come as part-and-parcel of Windows, as they continually report home to mother. Additionally, I have found them to be not particularly effective.

My Linux and Macintosh computers are not as heavily laden with such safeguards as I feel that their operating systems are far less vulnerable to the "nasties". Years of experience has confirmed this.

Generally, I have not installed such an arsenal on customer's or friends computers unless they are particularly computer-literate and therefore able to do their own trouble shooting without my assistance.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

irritant (25-12-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

I have a paid version of Kaspersky and the freebie version of Malawarebytes, also CCleaner which I havent run for some time.
    I just fired up the laptop and damn me if it too isnt doing the same thing and telling me that Firefox has detected a misdirection, etc, etc, etc.
    The L/top hasnt been online for several days at least BUT I just got thanked for Updating Windows 10 which is making me think Windows has done something and something has changed blocking Google search............

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Clean out cookies AND do a registry clean, you have some foreign script/reg entry doing a redirect!
    worse case do a Firefox Refesh! see pics

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmangle For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (22-12-16),Philquad (20-12-16)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Interestingly enough My eldest is down for a visit. His expertise is Computers, Video and Audio. He works at Charles Darwin Uni and spends much of his time working on the various Audio, Video and computer systems that he has to deal with there. Prior to the Uni Job, his previous employer paid for his MSCE which, I believe, he has maintained. Now that I've established his "qualifications" and interesting comment from him the other day has me wondering if M$ have actually done something right. His claim is that M$ Defender is all that is really needed these days, provided, of course that you only visit safe sites. I'm sure that they run hardware firewalls and the like, and, I suspect that his home computers are also protected by hardware, too. He also uses cloud storage which, I'm sorry, I still like to have on site access, though I can see some of the advantages.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

Today I proved/disproved Firefox is having problems using Google or any other 'Search engine as I have been experiencing by connecting to the Internet using my Telstra ELITE wireless Mobile and opened up Firefox, type in a name into the Search box and it WORKS !!!
    No matter what I typed in, it tries to find what I wanted.
    However back on the Satellite and it wont work, I just get the same old redirecting and cant complete answer.
    I wasted 70 cents (2 x 1300 cals ) and an hour of my time to ring the ISP and of course its nothing to do with them.

Thanks

Check your home page settings. Hit the ALT key, click on the TOOL tab and select OPTIONS. In general the home page should only have the google home address (). If anything else is in there delete it. Hope that helps.

Premium Member

Thanks

sorry joezep, been there and done that and it DONT work !!
    I just tried Yahoo as a search and got the same reply.
    All I can think of is that possibly since the M/S update last weekend, when a Search is instigated using that feature through Firefox, its getting to the server and thats where the problem occurs.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    ....All I can think of is that possibly since the M/S update last weekend, when a Search is instigated using that feature through Firefox, its getting to the server and thats where the problem occurs.
    If that was the case, all those who have W10 installed and received the update and are using the same version of Firefox as you are, would experience an identical problem.

I think that you have inadvertently picked up a gremlin and it is causing a Firefox misdirection.

Incidentally, anti-virus and anti-spyware etc. should be run at least several times per week, if not every day in today's internet environment.

Have you done a Firefox refresh as suggested by cmangle?

Premium Member

Thanks

I was in the throes of doing a 'Safe Mode start' with the add ons disabled and it didnt seem to be going anywhere and it was only after several minutes I realised I wasnt Online as the damn internet to shut down.
    So after waiting 45 minutes for it to reconnect, I gave it away as a dead loss.

Either here or in another posting I think I said this problem only exists when I use Firefox and the Skymuster satellite connection as Firefox works PERFECTLY when I use a Telstra ELITE wireless modem to go online.
    Its a damned odd bug that so specific to only cause problems in one situation dont you think?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Sometimes uninstalling, and re-installing firefox fixes such crazy problems but ONLY after you have verified your system as free from nasties. There could be a setting that has been altered and you might be lucky and stumble upon it, but, often the quickest fix is the re-install.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Banned
    Thanks

Is it with this particular search only? Or are you having trouble with every search with Firefox?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Seeing as Telstra ELITE works fine with the W10 computer but when you go back to Satellite it doesn't, maybe the problem is with DNS routing on Skymusters end. A way to test this would be to replace the DNS servers in windows 10 to redirect all searches via say Google. Use the link below to show you how to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Another thing you could try is a Firefox addon called DNS Flusher.
    Last edited by mickstv; 25-12-16 at 10:29 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (26-12-16),Tiny (26-12-16),tristen (25-12-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

The same thought occurred to me, except I wasn't sure whether the OP was referring to the same computer when he mentioned a problem when on Skymuster versus Telstra Elite, as he has mentioned using two different computers.

Additionally, he can check the actual DNS address(es) in use by visiting , which will return both his IP address and DNS address. Do this for both Skymuster and Telstra Elite.

The DNS addresses should reflect the DNS server addresses used by (1) Skymuster, and (2) Telstra and will serve to establish whether there is any abnormality there.

I advise against posting his actual IP address here, where it is publicly seen (even though they might be dynamic addresses and not fixed).

The respective DNS addresses can be posted here (publicly) though as they are readily available to all and sundry.

N.B. He should conduct this test BEFORE manually changing DNS in his network settings as suggested in Mickstv's post .
    Last edited by tristen; 25-12-16 at 11:46 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (26-12-16),Tiny (26-12-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    Seeing as Telstra ELITE works fine with the W10 computer but when you go back to Satellite it doesn't, maybe the problem is with DNS routing on Skymusters end. A way to test this would be to replace the DNS servers in windows 10 to redirect all searches via say Google. Use the link below to show you how to change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Another thing you could try is a Firefox addon called DNS Flusher.
    I'm pretty sure Gordon also has a router between his PC's & the SkyMuster Network Termination Device, as I have as well.
    So as I found out; you have to change DNS settings in both W10 & the Router as the router tends to take priority on DNS.

Thanks for the tip on the FF add-on, I've installed that & will see how it works. Looks like it just flushes the browser cache; so may not resolve all DNS issues.
    Will give it a test anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Additionally, he can check the actual DNS address(es) in use by visiting , which will return both his IP address and DNS address. Do this for both Skymuster and Telstra Elite.
    Thanks, that is a neat tool for DNS checks.
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-12-16 at 09:56 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Sorry I missed these replies until now but let me get everything in order.
    First, I am NOW only using one Computer, a median desktop from Aldi 3~4 years old.
    Firefox is my Browser and Yahoo is the Home page.
    The Router is by Netgear a model D6400, AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL
    There are 3 models in this series and mine is the 'middle' one. The top of the range looks like a porcupine with all those antenna.

I have TWO means of connecting to the Internet, the primary and cheapest is visa the satellite service 'SkyMuster'. The Elite Mobile wireless is a 'hangover' (and dearest) from when I only had a 15GB per month plan via Telstra Mobile.
    Because the Elite has a 12 month SIM card, its now just for use 'As Required.

About 2 weeks ago after a WIN10 update, I wanted to a search using the Google option on the Firefox Browser and thats when I got the message about the misdirection'.
    I have changed the search engine options in Firefox to no avail, NOTHING works there BUT the address bar works to find and go to various sites.
    I have Chome and as best I can tell, its 'Search' option is completely unaffected with this 'problem'.

I do have a router , a NETGEAR model D600 bought in May from my ISP when I was connected to the Skymuster service. I only bought it because I wasnt sure if the current one was compatible with the satellite modem as I found when I went onto the Mobile Wireless broadband, the router I had wasnt compatible with the new modem.

I recently had to call in a Computer technician as the computer had major issues and became almost unusable.

I dont have a clue what DNS is nor will I go into Bios or do alterations as I dont understand them and if I make a mistake, I have no idea how to fix them.
    Netgear has sent me an update for the router but on reading what has to be done to install it, I am NOT touching it !!!

And to top things off last week when I was trying to start Firefox in SAFE MODE, the bloody internet decided to shut down for about 45 minutes which I wasnt immediately aware for some 10 minutes of trying to work why I didnt seem to be going anywhere.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast