Thread: UEC 4121 - v -Other VAST receivers re heat

Thanks

Default UEC 4121 - v -Other VAST receivers re heat

Hi everyone.

I've had a 4121 for a couple of years.

I noticed that the box is always very warm, even when left in standby for days.

Anyway, recently, like a lot of other 4121s, its power supply died.

I finally got around to replacing the power supply, but used an external unit instead.

Now I notice that the AC/DC adapter is always pretty warm.

My question: is a Humax or Sat-King the same?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Late reply but hey.. it's a reply... i have a 4121 which i bought in 2010 and it is still going strong. My dad has the satking box and hasn't had an issue with his either. My box sits on top of my yamaha amp so temps get quite high and dads sits all lonesome on it's own in the cabinet. I find his unit feels hotter to the touch than what mine does. I think i must have just got one of those 4121's that was built perfect.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crootie For This Useful Post:

ap5 (07-01-17),kingfisherau (06-01-17),Tiny (06-01-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Satellite receivers are notorious for overheating and should be installed in a well-ventilated area so that air can circulate freely around and UNDER the case.

Sitting them on top of other heat-producing equipment or in an enclosed space (e.g. equipment cabinet with doors closed) is simply asking for trouble.

Also, many power supplies are under-rated and suffer greatly in our hot Australian summers, due to increased dissipation due to high mains voltage and/or ambient temperature.

Problems can be exacerbated if you are located nearby to an electricity supply company's high voltage mains transformer as the AC voltage in your premises will be close to maximum (if not higher) than if located near the end of the run.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

ap5 (07-01-17),irritant (24-01-17),william10 (06-01-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crootie View Post
    Late reply but hey.. it's a reply... i have a 4121 which i bought in 2010 and it is still going strong. My dad has the satking box and hasn't had an issue with his either. My box sits on top of my yamaha amp so temps get quite high and dads sits all lonesome on it's own in the cabinet. I find his unit feels hotter to the touch than what mine does. I think i must have just got one of those 4121's that was built perfect.
    Thanks, Crootie.

I wondered because the power adaptor on my laptop is rather cool compared the 4121's which seems unreasonably hot, even in standby.

Call me 'paranoid' but I have taken to disconnecting it from power overnight....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Yeah, they make the UEC boxes in my country. For all the years I've known these different UEC/Panasat models, they've run hot, since the 90's when they started making them. Good ventilation is key.

Same with some of the older PACE boxes of the time too. I've once read of a guy who built in a computer fan into a Sky Digibox in the UK which cooled it considerably. I forget the page now, but he simply tapped off power from the PSU in the box (of course by opening the box you void the warranty).

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ap5 View Post
    Thanks, Crootie.

I wondered because the power adaptor on my laptop is rather cool compared the 4121's which seems unreasonably hot, even in standby.

Call me 'paranoid' but I have taken to disconnecting it from power overnight....
    The only problem turning it off overnight is it might take a bit longer to start the next time around but if it was a choice of waiting a few minutes longer to reboot or having to replace the STB because its overheating and go without until you buy another doesnt require much thinking about, does it?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (24-01-17)