Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally lol

Thanks

Thumbs up Finally lol

The nbn™ network is estimated to be available in your area: Jun 2017*.

I wonder what it will be like as i don't want it from what i have heard but will be forced onto it if i want to have phone and net in the future. Is anyone with Iprimus that has it and if so what is it like with them as that is my provider and would like to stay with them due to the cheap phone and the broadband isn't bad, i haven't had any problems at all apart from a couple outages.

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by levend View Post
    The nbn™ network is estimated to be available in your area: Jun 2017*.
    Well if my experience is anything to go on, you can ad another 9 months to that.

I'm not with your ISP, but in my case when I went over to NBN I just stayed on the same plan with my ISP at the same price.

However I've had one outage and that's where the problem occurred. Had to report it to my ISP who took me through various tests and said they would have to get NBN to test the connection. A week later still without phone or internet I called again only to be told NBN have closed the ticket, with No fault found. No one told me and still no internet or phone.

ISP decided to do further tests and magically the thing started working.

If the NBN guy had come to my place instead of just to the node in the street, he would have seen I had nothing and the problem may have been fixed earlier.

I'm not impressed.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neddie For This Useful Post:

levend (22-12-16),xapi (05-03-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neddie View Post
    Well if my experience is anything to go on, you can ad another 9 months to that.

I'm not with your ISP, but in my case when I went over to NBN I just stayed on the same plan with my ISP at the same price.

However I've had one outage and that's where the problem occurred. Had to report it to my ISP who took me through various tests and said they would have to get NBN to test the connection. A week later still without phone or internet I called again only to be told NBN have closed the ticket, with No fault found. No one told me and still no internet or phone.

ISP decided to do further tests and magically the thing started working.

If the NBN guy had come to my place instead of just to the node in the street, he would have seen I had nothing and the problem may have been fixed earlier.

I'm not impressed.
    These days they do testing from a million miles away and I would guess they rang to tell you it was 'OK' but when you didnt answer the phone (because it wasnt working) they just presumed you were out..............
    I dont know about NBN phones but with the old landlines, you can have a dead phone but it doesnt give a busy or engaged signal as it used to do, it just rings out as normal.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I dont know about NBN phones but with the old landlines, you can have a dead phone but it doesnt give a busy or engaged signal as it used to do, it just rings out as normal.
    You would only get a busy signal if there was a short on the line. The most common problem was an OPEN circuit, and this WOULD give the caller ring tone.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    You would only get a busy signal if there was a short on the line. The most common problem was an OPEN circuit, and this WOULD give the caller ring tone.
    That is true for the POTS, but may not necessarily be so for NBN. If the system cannot see a modem for whatever reason, (Loop or Open Circuit - even Foreign Battery or Earth Leakage may cause failure, too) it may just lock out the faulty line and return Busy, Congestion, or NU.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I know but @gordon_s1942 WAS talking about POTS and making an incorrect assertion, as you can see if you READ the post.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

xapi (05-03-17)

Thanks

So the nbn box has gone up one block from my house between 50 and 70 mtrs away. The nbn tell me i will be on the copper to the home crap. What speeds should i expect and what plan should i sign up for. I have till july when they say we can connect to it?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    I know but @gordon_s1942 WAS talking about POTS and making an incorrect assertion, as you can see if you READ the post.
    If you READ gordon's entire post, and I shall quote (emphasis added by me
    I dont know about NBN phones but with the old landlines
    FWIW the most common problem with the copper network was earth leakage, followed by open circuit, followed by loop, occasionally you would see foreign battery, then, only typically from some brands of PABX, which was normal. A normal line test was the 2uF capacitor in the telephone ring circuit. Any more, and we could easily tell that the customer had non standard equipment. I was a Fault dispatcher for a few years along with repairman, installer and Exchange maintenance tech. (I got out nearly 30 years ago, now, so the internet was just being born and 2.4kbs was blisteringly fast.
    Last edited by lsemmens; 04-03-17 at 12:01 PM.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

So the nbn box has gone up one block from my house between 50 and 70 mtrs away. The nbn tell me i will be on the copper to the home crap. What speeds should i expect and what plan should i sign up for. I have till july when they say we can connect to it?
    At 70 meters you should expect to get full speed.
    From what I've read anything under 400 meters will give you close to maximum speeds.

I'm 560 meters from the node and get 67Mbit down 25Mbit up.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

levend (05-03-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I concur with Whiteox.

I'm 200 metres from the node and on a plan at 100/40Mbps.

I usually get something like 90Mbps down and 34Mbps up.

When first installed, the speeds were somewhat slower, but after I tidied the internal telephone cabling and disconnected a few things the speed increased to what I have indicated above.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

levend (05-03-17),mtv (04-03-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    When first installed, the speeds were somewhat slower, but after I tidied the internal telephone cabling and disconnected a few things the speed increased to what I have indicated above.
    A very valid point.

I see this a lot... old Cat3 cabling/outlets still in parallel around homes slowing things down considerably.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    I concur with Whiteox.

I'm 200 metres from the node and on a plan at 100/40Mbps.

I usually get something like 90Mbps down and 34Mbps up.

What do you mean? Don't they put a new line in and the phone works of the nbn line? And what things did you disconnect? Just curious so when the time comes i will be ready.
    I wonder what my iprimus speed will be on the pack they say. It's hard to gage from the web site. And since been i minor player in my area at least i shouldn't have too much slow down periods like now on adsl i hope.
    Last edited by levend; 05-03-17 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks

They add their own DSLAM cabinet "near" the old copper cabinet, then install a new tail to the cabinet. When you are cut-over to the NBN, your copper pair is removed from the cable back to the exchange, and jumpered to the NBN cabinet. There is no change to any of the cabling from the phone cabinet to your home. The frequencies used for VDSL are higher than those used in ADSL, and more susceptible to irregularities in the cabling. Whenever there is a connection of any kind in the cabling, discontinuities are created. There will ALWAYS be some connections. Most of these in the fixed (street) cabling will be in boxes engineered to minimise discontinuities and hopefully be done by well trained operators who take care. This wasn't always the case, as voice generally didn't care. Most linesmen were fairly good, as neatness made their job easier, but it wasn't always the case especially in areas where there were lots of changes. Also, there were lots of changes in equipment and cables over the years, and everything wasn't equal. Hopefully, most of this has been tidied up in the last few years.

However, when it comes to wiring in the house it is a different story. The old telephone sockets with the screw terminals were never engineered for data. There are also multiple phone points around the house in many homes. These all add to impedance mismatches which reduce the perfomance of VDSL. For best performance, you should disconnect all phone extension sockets, install the NBN modem on the 1st incoming point, and change from the screw terminal socket to an RJ11 socket (not just a conversion plug).

As you no longer have a connection to the telephone exchange, you either have to use VOIP for your phone (NBN modems have a separate FXS port you plug you standard phone into), or have a second phone line installed. If you DO go down the 2nd line route, it will only be available for 18 months after the NBN has been enabled in your area.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

levend (06-03-17),shred (06-03-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

What do you mean? Don't they put a new line in and the phone works of the nbn line?
    When you have contacted and entered into an agreement with an ISP/telephone company for provision of internet and/or telephone, they will request NBN Co to provide you with a connection to the newly-installed and working NBN network.

(If you don't do this, the existing POTS telephone system will continue to work normally through the local exchange, until NBN Co decommission completely the copper network in your area. This is reported to occur 18 months after the NBN first becomes operational in the area).

NBN Co install their FTTN cabinets next to a pillar/pit, which provides them with access to the existing Telstra cabling.

Upon receiving a request to provide NBN to your premises, NBN Co will locate the appropriate pair running to your premises and disconnect it from the Telstra copper network and re-route it to the FTTN cabinet but will not install a new cable from the cabinet to your house.

And what things did you disconnect? Just curious so when the time comes i will be ready.
    Pre-existing parallel-connected outlets (as mtv has mentioned). This enables the VDSL modem to be connected directly to the incoming copper cable by the shortest route possible.

I wonder what my iprimus speed will be on the pack they say. It's hard to gage from the web site. And since been i minor player in my area at least i shouldn't have too much slow down periods like now on adsl i hope.
    Wait and see. Initial speed should be very close to the maximum you have purchased, as you have stated that you are very close to the NBN cabinet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

levend (06-03-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

When I made the comment about getting a ring tone when you ring a 'Dead' phone happened here the last time we had an 'outage'.
    The whole village went out but if you rang anyone's phone from outside the Village, you got the standard tones indicating that number was ringing out as normal.
    Each home phone had no dial tone, it was totally dead and what I think happened was the Mains supply to the 'exchange hut' went out and for some reason, the 'Backup' supply (Battery?) didnt cut in so the landline was totally dead.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

levend (06-03-17)

Thanks

Iprimus will go up to 109 dollars for the same plan i'm on now from 79. My republic will be 89.99 for the same plan so i think i will be switching to them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    At 70 meters you should expect to get full speed.
    From what I've read anything under 400 meters will give you close to maximum speeds.

I'm 560 meters from the node and get 67Mbit down 25Mbit up.
    I'm not on NBN but VDSL iinet...300 meters to node, then another 300 meters to supernode and the Fibre optics. The copper is cat6.

I get 42 mb/sec.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Administrator

Thanks

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

In the last 7 days about 12 Node have appeared around our area. Our Pillar is about 750M away from our house and the Node will be next to it about 2M away in the park according to the NBN staff I asked today. Do you think 750 M is too far?. Now that is as a crow fly's but as you know the cables can be longer zigging and zagging everywhere.

Administrator

Thanks

I wouldn't expect a great speed at 750 metres, although it should be a bit better than ADSL2+.
    After 400 meters the speed drops off significantly.

• Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast