Thread: Setting up DVB S2 receiver first time

Thanks

Default Setting up DVB S2 receiver first time

Hi,

I am setting up a DVB S2 Receiver for the first time. The Receiver is connected to a VBox II C Dish Controller. I am adding the Optus D1, the longitude is pretty straight forward. I need help with the Dish settings. I have selected DiSEqC1.2 Motor Polarity 13/18V Not sure what to put for Unicable, 22K Tone, Transponder and LNB frequency?

Thanks in advance,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to astroguy For This Useful Post:

hoe (25-12-16)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

What type dish and actuator/motor are you using?

(Vbox controllers are typically used for C-Band dishes with an actuator... Optus D1 is all Ku-Band).

You need to enter the LO of the LNB you are using... which is?

You don't need unicable, but you will need tone if you are using a universal LNB.

When you say 'adding' Optus D1, do you have other Ku-Band satellites already setup in your receiver and controller?

You can get Optus D1 transponder info on

Thanks

Moteck VBox II actuator/controller for C-Band dish came already setup.
    Actually, I have no idea if the motors even work.
    There are no markings on the LNB, can I try different frequencies until I find one that works, or is there some other way?
    There are many satellites setup in the receiver, both C and Ku-Bands, most of them seem to be Europe.

Thanks

What is a good C-Band satellite to use for a blind search?

Administrator
    Thanks

Let's establish some things first.

What satellites/transponders are you currently receiving?

You have to have the LNB frequency and satellite information programmed and the dish aligned on that satellite before you can perform a blindscan on it.

If you don't know the LNB frequency, you'll have to read the label on it.

Typical C-band LO is 5150MHz

Ku 10700MHz 11300MHz and you have a few variations, such as universal, etc.

Thanks

I am not receiving any satellites, it's not setup.

I am entering the satellite information manually

There isn't any label on the LNB or the dish

I should try 5150 then....

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

A few questions need to be answered before anyone can provide further help.

1/. You infer that you have a C-band setup. Is this correct?

2/. What size dish are you using?

3/. How is the dish mounted?

4/. Has the dish been aligned accurately?

Thanks

Yes, it is a C-Band setup
    The dish size is 2m
    It's mounted on an equatorial mount, polar aligned. Already present when we bought the house.
    The dish appears to be aligned accurately, it is still in its original alignment and mount.

Thanks

I am testing the actuator and motors, so far I have been unable to get the dish to move.

The dish is pointed only about 15-20 degrees above the horizon.

So, it looks like this project is a no go at present.

Premium Member

Thanks

Right. The next thing to do is decide which satellite you wish to align the dish to.

Satellite tv reception requires unobstructed line-of-sight from the dish to the satellite of choice. (No trees, fences or other obstructions in the way).

Satellites are located immediately above the equator (0 degrees latitude) and describe an arc beginning at the horizon in the west and rising to maximum elevation due north of your location and dropping away to the horizon in the east (of you location).

You have to decide from the list at Lyngsat, which satellites are visible from your location, which of those have signals that interest you, and then make your selection.

Once you have done this, you will need to enter appropriate details in the relevant menus of your satellite receiver, i.e. Satellite, LNB frequency (typically 5150MHz but could be different), transponder frequency etc.

The quickest way to search a satellite for signals is to use the "blind search" facility as mtv has already indicated.
    You cannot do this however until you have located the satellite and aligned the dish to it.

Decide which satellites your dish can "see" from your location, bearing in mind all that I have said about obstructions etc., and then advise us of your choice(s).

Telling us your exact location will aid us to advise you further.

You said that your dish is 2m diameter. Is it solid or mesh (usually mesh).

2m. mesh will limit your choice of satellite depending on your location, due to signal strength. (Solid has a little more gain than mesh).

Edit:

I have just noticed that you have posted more information.

A non-moving dish can be due to a number of things, such as faulty cabling from positioner to actuator, incorrectly connected positioner and/or actuator.

Actuators often rust out thus preventing dish movement. Dish bearings can also seize or become "sticky". Remove the actuator and see if the dish moves freely by hand.

Is the positioner a new acquisition or did you inherit it with the house?
    Last edited by tristen; 25-12-16 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks

Just got an idea if you know what nationality the sellers were, it might gives us a hint at what satellite it was pointed at.
    Example if they were Italian it would have been pointed at Asiasat 5 c-band. Then go in your set top box menu and look for Asiasat 5 c-band and do a blind scan, hope that helps

Administrator
    Thanks

You can forget about Ku-Band on a 2m mesh dish.

Most Ku signals are available from an 80cm solid dish (and appropriate LNB of course).

I suggest you tackle one thing at a time... sort out the C-Band first.

Just looking at a dish is no indication it is aligned correctly, so it's best not to assume it is.

To align a dish, it's much easier, faster and more accurate to have a satellite meter capable of displaying signal strength, and most importantly, signal quality.

As tristen suggested, perhaps the actuator is seized.

Taking possession of a satellite system with no instructions or information is typically more difficult than a new install, but at least the dish is assembled and mounted, which is a great start.

There is a C-Band Tutorial available to download which explains the installation and alignment procedure.

Thanks

If the dish is seized it may be on the Satellite the previous owners used most, try entering 5150 in the LNB field on any of the Satellites in the menu and do a blind scan, then if you do get any transponders (channels) compare those with Lyngsat that may establish what satellite the dish is aligned on, of course you will have to edit them out (delete transponders) later if you didn't get lucky picking the correct Sat.
    FreeSat V7 Combo, Amiko A5 combo, UltraPlus X-1000HD+, Mediastar HD8200s
    2.4m motorised mesh, 1.2m on D2, 1.2m on D1, 95cm on IS19

Thanks

When I blind scan the current position, no transponders are found. Signal is at 70%, quality 0%. I am planning on replacing the actuator and possibly LNB, as the dish is about 15 years old. If I disconnect the actuator, do I need to park the dish to stop it falling on top of me? After checking with a tape, it is a 2.3m mesh dish with a 24 inch actuator.

Administrator
    Thanks

Blindscan will not work without sufficient signal. i.e. correct dish/lnb alignment and settings in the decoder.

How are you measuring 70% signal? What satellite and transponder info have you programmed into your receiver that gives you 70% signal?

The fact you have 0 signal quality indicates you have no signal... could be any number or combination of reasons... mis-aligned dish,LNB skew (or fault) cabling or connection problems, etc.

The actuator just moves the dish on the pivot.

Removing the actuator won't make the dish fall off its mount, but it will allow it to swing freely from side to side, so yes, be careful the dish doesn't swing around and hit you.

Thanks

Removing the actuator won't make the dish fall off its mount, but it will allow it to swing freely from side to side, so yes, be careful the dish doesn't swing around and hit you.

That is what I am afraid of, is there some way of locking the dish into position while removing the actuator. To access the dish, I have to stand on a 2m platform, the dish looks like it ways more than 100kg, to much weight for one man to handle on a platform.

Premium Member

Thanks

I have often used a length of rope attached to the dish rim (LNB mounting pole) and securing the other end to a conveniently located place on a roof or other structure, in order to prevent the dish from "flopping". (It can be wise to add another section of rope to prevent the dish from moving in the opposite direction also - using the way a boat mast is guyed as an example.

A 2.3m aluminium mesh dish is fairly light (and 3m mesh dishes too) and not all that difficult to handle single-handedly, but you need to use a little common sense when doing so.

Be aware that wind can make things a little tricky, as the dish acts like a sail even though it is constructed from aluminium mesh.

I usually remove the actuator mounting bolt affixed to the dish mount first.

Positioning yourself behind the dish mounting post is the best position from which to work on it.
    Last edited by tristen; 11-01-17 at 08:45 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

+1 for rope or other 'tie-down' straps.

If you really want to 'lock' the dish, use a flat metal bar with holes drilled of a suitable length to replace the actuator.

Thanks

Good ideas to lock the dish. The dish looks steel as it is painted black and there is some rust on the frame, will have to have a closer look. Just noticed the dish is pointing directly at a neighbors tree. I am in Geelong, which way should the dish track?

Administrator
    Thanks

Any obstacle in the signal path will block/interfere with it.

All polar mount dishes in the southern hemisphere should be aligned with true north in the centre position, (also the highest point of the arc) therefore will track east-west.