Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg Cramps

Thanks

Thumbs down Leg Cramps

Hi all,

Look what Santa got me....

Leg cramps in both calves at 04.00 hrs this morning. I am still in pain but it's slowly diminishing.

Anyhow, are any forum members also suffering this condition?

If so, how are you treating/dealing with it?

Natural remedies would be ideal.

Cheers

Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

Look Here ->

Thanks

I believe it's from low salt levels. Used to get them all the time.
    A bag of chips at night fixed it for me. Never had them since

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

irritant (27-12-16),Ma_Baker (27-12-16),Mr 672A (15-01-17)

Thanks

I understand that its a indication of low magnesium levels,try dissolving a small amount of magnesium sulphate (the tip of a teaspoon) in water,only use a very small amount as its other name is epson salts,always fixes it for me,its one of many trace elements that you need to daily use,another one is niacin,found in vegamite.

• The Following User Says Thank You to humax300 For This Useful Post:

Ma_Baker (27-12-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

humax300 is on the ball, it's magnesium you need as the body uses magnesium to relax the muscles.
    I haven't tried drinking epsom salts, however do enjoy a relaxing bath in it every now & then.

I take a magnesium supplement & don't get cramps any more. I just get the Blackmores BioMagnesium from the supermarket, which also has calcium in it.

Magnesium is a required element of muscle relaxation, and without it our muscles would be in a constant state of contraction. Calcium, on the other hand, signals muscles to contract. As noted in the book The Magnesium Factor, the two minerals are “two sides of a physiological coin; they have actions that oppose one another, yet they function as a team.”
    Last edited by Tiny; 27-12-16 at 09:22 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (28-12-16),gulliver (13-01-17),Ma_Baker (27-12-16),Seymour Butts (27-12-16)

Thanks

There is magnesium spray you can buy from the Chemist, it is great for relieving cramps in the night I also use an magnesium supplement every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to william10 For This Useful Post:

Ma_Baker (27-12-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Dehydration is a major cause..... not drinking enough water, or too much alcohol?

Yes, magnesium is a huge help.

Thanks

[QUOTE=mtv;724062]Dehydration is a major cause..... not drinking enough water, or too much alcohol?

Yes, magnesium is a huge help.[/QUOTE

try these magnesium aspartate 500mg tablet
    Last edited by HILLVIEW103; 27-12-16 at 11:11 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to HILLVIEW103 For This Useful Post:

Ma_Baker (27-12-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Dehydration is a major cause..... not drinking enough water, or too much alcohol?

Yes, magnesium is a huge help.
    Give this man a prize.

Alcohol is almost certainly part of my problem.

But in my defence, I have cut back since I used to drink. I am only drinking a 6 pack of Lowenbrau and a half bottle of Luksusova per day

If the Magnesium and salt balances out my ridiculous imbibing habits I will luv you all forever.

Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,240 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HILLVIEW103 View Post
    try these magnesium aspartate 500mg tablet
    Magnesium here as well, I take 2 500mg Magnesium Asparatate a day, but it may pay to have your Electolyte levels checked just to be sure, leg cramps is usually an indication of an imbalance, see your quack for a blood test.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Administrator
    Thanks

These are the ones I take.

Probably available at any chemist... got these at Chemist Warehouse.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

BANANASafter/during a bike ride i eat bananas, but note it is number 10 on the scale of magnesium rich food list, see attached
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Dishtrackted (13-01-17),irritant (27-12-16),Onefella (27-12-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Thats what I forgot to buy when we were in Town before Xmas.
    I told the doctor that I had been experiencing cramps in the hand, mostly if I was gripping anything tightly or leaning on the walking stick, also around the neck and jaw area, I never mentioned the spasmodic twitches on the calf (mostly the left one) and she suggested I try Magnesium which I must remember to get tomorrow when shopping.
    One thing I find increases the frequency of the spasms is if I get cold in the area concerned.
    I am still looking for a kind of leg stocking like you see Gymnasts and dancers use to keep the muscles warm when they are not performing but so far without success.

Since I had those Kidney stones removed 18 months ago, I have tried to ensure I drink around 1.5 ~ 2 litres of water a day and I soon notice if I stop for any length of time.
    When I had one of those blood tests done when you supposed not to eat after 10pm/Midnight, I told them I was still going to drink small amounts of water during the night before doing the tests and I was very surprised when they said to do so !!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-12-16 at 01:13 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Are you on any medications? I was on AVANZA for a while which gave me restless leg, Doctor halved the dose and gave me something else and restless leg is almost non existent now.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I told the doctor that I had been experiencing cramps in the hand, mostly if I was gripping anything tightly...
    Now there's a quote!!!

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

allover (27-12-16),alpha0ne (27-12-16),enf (27-12-16),Godzilla (28-12-16),irritant (27-12-16),william10 (27-12-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,095 Times in 9,097 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

These are the ones I take.

Probably available at any chemist... got these at Chemist Warehouse.
    Looking at the label, I have to ask. Which condition are you treating?

Oh! Bananas and a supplement for me....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Looking at the label, I have to ask. Which condition are you treating?
    Cramps... for the second I find distance helps.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

allover (28-12-16),enf (27-12-16),irritant (27-12-16)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_Baker View Post

Leg cramps in both calves at 04.00 hrs this morning. I am still in pain but it's slowly diminishing.
    Not the nicest xmas pressie Ma, I used to have the same problem with calf muscles so bad/extended periods I thought I would black out

As most of the remedies have already been discussed by the good ppl here @ Austech I can only add what helped me a lot (along with more salt/magnesium) for me is to drink a glass of water after each alcoholic drink, which in my case is a shot of bourbon two or three times a night............................................. ............................................I wish

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

gulliver (13-01-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

If alcohol is causing problems, you aren't drinking enough. The legs won't bother you if you are unconscious........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-12-16),enf (27-12-16),Godzilla (28-12-16),gulliver (12-01-17),irritant (27-12-16),Tiny (27-12-16)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Good to see we have plenty here using a Mg supplement.

Now, alphaone & Ma_Baker, you maybe exceeding number 6 on the list below, by a little. lol. Me too, lucky I take Mg, & of course I'm over 55 (number 10) -

Need More Magnesium? 10 Signs to Watch For

1. Do you drink carbonated beverages on a regular basis?

Most dark colored sodas contain phosphates. These substances actually bind with magnesium inside the digestive tract, rendering it unavailable to the body. So even if you are eating a balanced diet, by drinking soda with your meals you are flushing magnesium out of your system.
    The average consumption of carbonated beverages today is more than ten times what it was in 1940. This skyrocketing increase is responsible for both reduced magnesium and calcium availability in the body.
    2. Do you regularly eat pastries, cakes, desserts, candies or other sweet foods?

Refined sugar is not only a zero magnesium product but it also causes the body to excrete magnesium through the kidneys. The process of producing refined sugar from sugar cane removes molasses, stripping the magnesium content entirely.
    And sugar does not simply serve to reduce magnesium levels. Sweet foods are known by nutritionists as “anti-nutrients”. Anti-nutrients like sweets are foods that replace whole nutritious foods in the diet, yet actually consume nutrients when digested, resulting in a net loss. Because all foods require vitamins and minerals to be consumed in order to power the process of digestion, it’s important to choose foods that “put back” vital nutrients, and then some.
    The more sweet foods and processed baked goods you have in your diet, the more likely you are deficient in magnesium and other vital nutrients.
    3. Do you experience a lot of stress in your life, or have you recently had a major medical procedure such as surgery?

Both physical and emotional stress can be a cause of magnesium deficiency.
    Stress can be a cause of magnesium deficiency, and a lack of magnesium tends to magnify the stress reaction, worsening the problem. In studies, adrenaline and cortisol, byproducts of the “fight or flight” reaction associated with stress and anxiety, were associated with decreased magnesium.
    Because stressful conditions require more magnesium use by the body, all such conditions may lead to deficiency, including both psychological and physical forms of stress such as surgery, burns, and chronic disease.
    4. Do you drink coffee, tea, or other caffeinated drinks daily?

Magnesium levels are controlled in the body in large part by the kidneys, which filter and excrete excess magnesium and other minerals. But caffeine causes the kidneys to release extra magnesium regardless of body status.
    If you drink caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and soda regularly, your risk for magnesium deficiency is increased.
    5. Do you take a diuretic, heart medication, asthma medication, birth control pills or estrogen replacement therapy?

The effects of certain drugs have been shown to reduce magnesium levels in the body by increasing magnesium loss through excretion by the kidneys.
    See also:

• For a complete list of the specific drugs which can affect magnesium levels, read our article, .

6. Do you drink more than seven alcoholic beverages per week?

The effect of alcohol on magnesium levels is similar to the effect of diuretics: it lowers magnesium available to the cells by increasing the excretion of magnesium by the kidneys. In studies, clinical magnesium deficiency was found in 30% of alcoholics.
    Increased alcohol intake also contributes to decreased efficiency of the digestive system, as well as Vitamin D deficiency, both of which can contribute to low magnesium levels.
    7. Do you take calcium supplements without magnesium or calcium supplements with magnesium in less than a 1:1 ratio?

Studies have shown that when magnesium intake is low, calcium supplementation may reduce magnesium absorption and retention. And, whereas calcium supplementation can have negative effects on magnesium levels, magnesium supplementation actually improves the body’s use of calcium.

Though many reports suggest taking calcium to magnesium in a 2:1 ratio, this figure is largely arbitrary. The ideal ratio for any individual will vary depending on current conditions as well as .
    However, several researchers now support a 1:1 calcium to magnesium ratio for improved bone support and reduced risk of disease. This is due not only to the increased evidence pointing to widespread magnesium deficiency, but also concerns over the risk of arterial calcification when low magnesium stores are coupled with high calcium intake.
    According to noted magnesium researcher Mildred Seelig:
    The body tends to retain calcium when in a magnesium-deficient state. Extra calcium intake at such a time could cause an abnormal rise of calcium levels inside the cells, including the cells of the heart and blood vessels… Given the delicate balance necessary between calcium and magnesium in the cells, it is best to be sure magnesium is adequate if you are taking calcium supplements.”
    8. Do you experience any of the following:

• Anxiety?
    • Times of hyperactivity?
    • Difficulty getting to sleep?
    • Difficulty staying asleep?

The above symptoms may be neurological signs of magnesium deficiency. Adequate magnesium is necessary for nerve conduction and is also associated with electrolyte imbalances that affect the nervous system. Low magnesium is also associated with personality changes and sometimes depression.
    Read more:

• For a complete list of the signs of magnesium deficiency, read our article, .

9. Do you experience any of the following:

• Painful muscle spasms?
    • Muscle cramping?
    • Fibromyalgia?
    • Facial tics?
    • Eye twitches, or involuntary eye movements?

Neuromuscular symptoms such as these are among the classic signs of a potential magnesium deficit.
    Without magnesium, our muscles would be in a constant state of contraction.
    Magnesium is a required element of muscle relaxation, and without it our muscles would be in a constant state of contraction. Calcium, on the other hand, signals muscles to contract. As noted in the book The Magnesium Factor, the two minerals are “two sides of a physiological coin; they have actions that oppose one another, yet they function as a team.”
    Chvostek’s Sign and Trousseau’s Sign are both clinical tests for involuntary muscle movements, and both may indicate either calcium or magnesium deficiency, or both. In fact, magnesium deficiency may actually appear as calcium deficiency in testing, and one of the first recommendations upon receiving low calcium test results is magnesium supplementation.
    Read more:

• For a complete list of the conditions associated with magnesium deficiency, read our article, .
    • To learn more about the role of magnesium in muscle function, see .

10. Did you answer yes to any of the above questions and are also age 55 or older?

Older adults are particularly vulnerable to low magnesium status. It has been shown that aging, stress and disease all contribute to increasing magnesium needs, yet most older adults actually take in less magnesium from food sources than when they were younger.
    In addition, magnesium metabolism may be less efficient as we grow older, as changes the GI tract and kidneys contribute to older adults absorbing less and retaining less magnesium.
    If you are above 55 and also showing lifestyle signs or symptoms related to low magnesium, it’s particularly important that you work to improve your magnesium intake. When body stores of magnesium run low, risks of overt hypomagnesaemia (magnesium deficiency) increase significantly.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-12-16),dashinson (28-12-16),Dishtrackted (13-01-17),gulliver (30-12-16),humax300 (27-12-16),lsemmens (28-12-16),mtv (12-01-17),william10 (27-12-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 850 Posts

I take a magnesium supplement and it's worked wonders for me however there are still the odd occasions when the dreaded cramp hits once again, usually between 2.00am and 3.00am - god knows what the time has to do with it, but I now keep these in the fridge.

The relief provided, even from the worst of the cramps is instantaneous.
    I kid you not - on application the cramp starts dissipating immediately.
    In hindsight I should have posted my Facebook status as: "I've blown the head gasket on my 1997 XR3i" rather than "I've just buggered a 14 year old escort".
    The police still haven't seen the funny side, my lap top's been confiscated and the wife has gone off to her mum's.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Seymour Butts For This Useful Post:

gulliver (13-01-17)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast