Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg Cramps

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

Yeah, magnesium being too low is the reason.

A magnesium supplement is best.

Be careful with too much Epsom salts, they also act as a laxative.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Just pull back slowly on the big toe and the cramp should go away.

There are a lot of reasons why people get them and a side effect from medications like statins is common.
    Magnesium deficit is only part of the story, being low on other minerals like potassium too. Bananas are great.
    Refined sugar depletes minerals and vitamins from the body. That is a big issue!

I know most will not want to hear this but eating a lot of vegetables would be a solution, in particular leafy greens, salads and not only against cramps.

Supplements are questionable because many are not properly absorbed by the body. Some claim minerals bonded with an amino acid (chelation) may be better.
    Placebo effect may be also help. I took my magnesium so I won't get a cramp
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-12-16 at 09:59 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-12-16)

Thanks

Can only say what works for me. The wife gets cramps and 'goes with the spasm' and suffers. When my cramp starts, I immediately go against the spasm, no matter how sore this may be, and within a minute all pain has ceased. Ma, you should talk to your doctor who may order some blood tests. You may be on other medications and these need to be taken into account.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I suffer a lot from muscle cramps, just 2 nights ago i dozed off on the couch and woke up screaming "Jesus Fvcking Christ" just as they were coming on at 4 in the morning, woke up the whole family and had them up wondering what happened to me.

This time i managed to just pull the cramps back by moving my toes and feet, it felt like it was going to be a whoppa that time.

I think it may be time for me to start taking something to fight this....funny thing after reading this thread im thinking that sugar may be my issue, i have a real sweet tooth......

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

admin (15-01-17),william10 (12-01-17)

Thanks

^ In your case it'll be because of the strenuous work you carry out. While most people realise the importance of stretching prior to physical work it's equally important to repeat the exercise after work. Also, saying "Jesus Fvcking Christ" before going to bed has helped me in the past

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (29-12-16)

Thanks

Default Magsag

Hi all,

I thought I should post a quick update to this thread based on all the Mg advice I received.

I have just received my food order from Coles (they do home delivery and I have been housebound for over five years).

Anyhow I ordered Cenovis Mg tablets and some normal food containing Mg and Calcium. Not taken the tablets yet but I made a sandwich which I named "Magsag".

List of contents:

2 Slices Sourdough bread
    Sour cream for spreading
    baby spinach leaves
    kid size banana
    Smoked salmon for cooking
    Salt and cummin to taste

I estimate the total cost would be about $3.00.

As I only get food once every two weeks I also bought some sourdough wraps for when my bread goes stale.

Will update on my legs cramp after tonight.

Luv to all

Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ma_Baker For This Useful Post:

Dishtrackted (13-01-17),irritant (13-01-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I started taking the Magnesium tablets after Ma Baker made the first post and I spoke to my Doctor about doing so to ensure there was no conflict with the other lot I take.
    I am not able to say they have been totally effective in treating the problem as the weather has been quite warm as I know from experience when I kick the blankets off my legs during the night, the Cold plays merry hell as does sitting too near a Fan with the lower legs bare.
    But I feel the 'restlessness' and 'Twitching' has been occurring less often in the evenings when I sit with my legs raised on a recliner so hopefully the Magnesium tablets are working, they had better seeing what they cost !!!
    I try to eat various fruits and vegetables during the week, Cold Meat Salads being the order of the day currently.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (13-01-17)

Thanks

Default Magsag Night 1

Hi all,

As I promised in my previous post here are my findings re Magsag.

I woke up at 05:00 but NOT in pain from leg cramps.

Yes I did have twinges and feelings that the cramps were about to start "big time" but it hasn't happened yet, it's now 09:32. I am happy and surprised .

Now before my euphoria wears off I am about to make another Magsag, this time with some horseradish cream. The first one was a little bland for my taste, I have probably killed most of my taste buds due to alcohol.

Some of you have asked about the salmon I use it's made by tassal and its the off-cuts from regular smoked salmon - it does NOT need cooking - that's just what it's called.

I do not know if the Mg in this food will accumulate in my system, but if I can get through another night of 25 C temperature without pain from cramps I will be a "very happy Vegie".

Cheers

Last edited by Ma_Baker; 13-01-17 at 09:50 AM.
    Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ma_Baker For This Useful Post:

allover (13-01-17),exited (13-01-17),irritant (13-01-17)

Thanks

A friend here started having heart palpitation they eventually worked out it was a lack of magnesium apparently people who drink tank water dont get any magnesium from it

He started drinking bottled water high in magnesium and it fixed itself.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dishtrackted For This Useful Post:

admin (15-01-17),irritant (13-01-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour Butts View Post
    I take a magnesium supplement and it's worked wonders for me however there are still the odd occasions when the dreaded cramp hits once again, usually between 2.00am and 3.00am - god knows what the time has to do with it, but I now keep these in the fridge.

The relief provided, even from the worst of the cramps is instantaneous.
    I kid you not - on application the cramp starts dissipating immediately.
    I THINK you may find that between 2.00AM and 3.00 AM is when your relaxed the most and EVERYTHING slows down along with your Blood Pressure and this 'spasm' is natures way of telling you your leg muscles need more Oxygen and to move which to increase the blood flow so the muscle's 'spasms'.
    I dont think medication would help in this situation unless you have poor circulation so MAYBE a 'FIRM', not tight wrap around the calf of the leg MAY help but dont try it without seeking medical advise first.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I suffer a lot from muscle cramps, just 2 nights ago i dozed off on the couch and woke up screaming "Jesus Fvcking Christ" just as they were coming on at 4 in the morning, woke up the whole family and had them up wondering what happened to me.
    Lol, another thread of broken old Austech members

If I dont take Magnesium tablets semi reguarly, I get the same. Some of mine were that bad I was limping for days. Plus all the wounds from leaping out of bed screaming and tripping over in to things.

Head down to chemist warehouse mate

(Ironically, I also usually yell out the exact same words...Jesus Fvcking Christ....spooky )

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

peter3535 (15-01-17)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    I believe it's from low salt levels. Used to get them all the time.
    A bag of chips at night fixed it for me. Never had them since
    Had Them to the point of tears. I ate Pringles whilst watching TV and never had them the Next Morning. This it was happens. ......I wake, I stretch in Bed, and it would hit me. F!@#$%^&K!!. Unfortually we have to need some salt in our body.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Lol, another thread of broken old Austech members

If I dont take Magnesium tablets semi reguarly, I get the same. Some of mine were that bad I was limping for days. Plus all the wounds from leaping out of bed screaming and tripping over in to things.

Head down to chemist warehouse mate

(Ironically, I also usually yell out the exact same words...Jesus Fvcking Christ....spooky )
    I buy at Aldi the round tube like Magnesium tablets called Effervescent Tablets. I take a full or break in half and drop it in a glass of water. They have different flavours. I take the Orange one. It has Vitamin B and C and just about anything else.
    I never had this problem which taking this Marvelous Tablet but the reason I take it and cramps is 10% of my problem and the major problem I have is RESTLESS LEGS. This Bad and you can never go to sleep but this fizzy drink calm it or take it away that night. I take it 30 Seconds before I got to sleep.

Premium Member

Thanks

Avoiding salt is as bad as pouring it over everything you eat, including your cornflakes.
    From what I see based on our history as a species, we need water, salt, RED meats, greens both above and below ground types.
    I havent included any 'Fruits' because until a few centuries ago, you were strictly limited to what grew locally if at all.
    If Fruits are added, its the fruit itself where the food value lies, NOT the Juice despite what the adverts claim as its the FIRBE needs to be consumed as well.

Anyone who uses any Mineral water I urge to check the composition to ensure its not containing any elements you need to control.
    Years ago the Doctor told my Mother her Potassium level was too high and treated her accordingly but it kept showing high when tested, it turned out the mineral water she was drinking had Pottatsium in it so she had to change to another that didnt and down came the levels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    Yeah, magnesium being too low is the reason.

A magnesium supplement is best.

Be careful with too much Epsom salts, they also act as a laxative.

Arrghh ooOOOH I don't need that. I also suffer From Prolapse Rectum. (It like my Digital Camera, press the buttom the lens in stages come out). I went to Hospital to be Operate for this but the Surgeon Stuffed up and not only he did not fix it.(My A...rse is like a Thrust Vector on a F 35 Jet fighter. I can swing it side by side) and because of this operation I become Incontinent. This is Serious Problem

Maybe we should have the Thread "What Problem do your body Have". I have to laugh otherwise I will cry for the issues I have had the last 20 years..

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12