Thread: Its DEAD I tell, SkyMuster is no more.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Its DEAD I tell, SkyMuster is no more.

Well, after it playing up from about 12.30pm yesterday afternoon until after 8pm with lights flashing and brief periods of connectivity, there is a possibility its DEAD..........
    I didnt look at anything this morning but when we come home from shopping this afternoon, the Router was showing no connection by way of the Internet light being a Reddish Brown instead of Green.
    'No Connection' it says when I tried to open the browser so I turned the Router OFF and back on, same colour lights showing so I ring my ISP and after the operator going away for a Bex and a quiet lie down, WE have been passed onto the NBN for their attention as there seems to be a problem (ERROR 651) when I tried to connect to the satellite.
    The cable between the Modem and the router was diverted to the Computer directly which I gather rules out the Router being at fault.

In passing there was mention that the LNB maybe the cause of the problem but that has to be determined yet.
    Oddly enough I have been wondering on the idea that as much of the time I have had connection problems, its been that time of day when the LNB is in Full Sun !!

Fortunately I still have the Telstra Elite and a bit of credit to use so I wont be totally offline (sorry about that)
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-12-16 at 03:57 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Bummer Gordon, at least you wont have to pay for it to be fixed/replaced.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

18th of May it was connected and I certainly wouldnt be paying for any repairs/replacements on something less than 12 months old !!!

What is REALLY WEIRD is that it was roughly the same lenght of time before I had major problems with the previous ABG service via IPSTAR and had to get then out
    In that case it was caused by the installer not properly sealing the connections on the LNB and water got in.
    The tech who fixed it showed me the residue of where water had got inside the connector.
    Tiny, there are times when I wonder if these happen JUST to aggravate me so I have things to entertain others (like Austech) with my disasters??

You have to admit there are times I go running around like a Chook with its head cut off....

PS, I am using the Telstra Elite (God Bless Telstra) to be online and I can NOW use the Google search in Firefox again...........................
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-12-16 at 04:43 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

william10 (29-12-16)

Premium Member

Thanks

I turned everything off last night (Modem and Router) and after being woken up at 6am with a fit of the coughs, I turned everything back on and after several minutes, it appeared that it had connected so I turned on the Computer and it certainly had connected to the Internet.
    Its rather cloudy outside at the moment with a few drops of rain (SIX, I counted them) about.
    I am not going to say anything to either my ISP nor the NBN at this time but intend to wait and see how it performs through the coming day.

I think we're supposed to be around 30C today like yesterday but if it is the LNB breaking down, I dont think its the ambient air temperature thats causing the problem but the Sun directly doing so on the case.

Premium Member

Thanks

Based on how this has been playing up since Wednesday, I am surmising the problem lies with the LNB.
    I have been taking notes of the times when it goes out and for how long and it seems to commence after 10am until late evening (dark) which gives me the idea that it is not only the direct contact with the Sun but the ambient air temperature is also affecting it.
    The 'Outage' times are quite erratic with some being only a few minutes to periods of over an hour or so and with reasonably consistent Cloud cover, it also shows just how much energy there is in UV rays to penetrate the clouds and heat the LNB case if that is the problem.
    With the dish sitting on a green painted Corrugated iron roof a few feet below the LNB, I wonder if that is radiating any heat back up into the LNB?

This is for Tiny and anyone else using SkyMuster,
    It seems 'A' (ISP) and 'B' (NBN) are NOT on the same page as to 'Who Does What' regarding service calls !!

My ISP told me I would be contacted by the NBN to arrange a service call if it was deemed necessary.
    However when I rang the number I was given for the NBN by the ISP and quoted the case number, they tell a different story and said while they have registered the Case for a service call put in by the ISP, it was them (ISP) who arranged for the service call !!

I dont give a flying whathaveyou as to 'Who Does What' but its who to call if nothing happens is what I want to know.
    I dont anticipate any calls before Tuesday of next week for obvious reasons but I will be chasiing it up if nothing is heard by Wednesday Afternoon.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 31-12-16 at 11:03 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

MESSAGE for TINY !! and any other users of SkyMuster.
    I rang my ISP this afternoon re the problem I have been having since last week and I found out the following,
    SKYBRIDGE is STILL the Contractor along with HILLS to the NBN.
    Skybridge then contracts out to the installers who do the actual work using Hills materials of course.
    This company were also the company who did the installations for the ABG service using IPSTAR and very possibly may also do installations for other 'Broadcasters' as well.
    The ISP you pay the Bill to is only that, a company who collects the fees.
    The 'HELP' desk for my ISP at least is in MANILA, SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE !!!
    'WE' have now established that it is up to (most likely) SkyBridge to arrange for Service calls when needed although the NBN was kept being mentioned as a possibility.
    I am getting the impression that this part of the system (Repairs and Call Outs) hasnt been properly worked out with procedures put in place to both organise a call and advise the Customer accordingly.
    What annoys me is I shouldnt have to be chasing any of this up and ringing this one and that and being given conflicting information from all parties concerned !!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-01-17 at 05:17 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Still waiting patiently with NO call from either the NBN or my ISP so I rang the ISP just now (4pm) but no joy regarding any idea of when it may be attended to.

OSIRUS (06-01-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

WELLLLLLL, BUGGER all, STUFFF ALL, I am very very displeased at receiving an Email from my ISP telling me the case for the outage that started this thread as been CLOSED.
    While the closure is bad enough, the email goes on to say that this matter has been attended to !!!
    WHEN and BY BLOODY WHO?
    I have heard NOTHING since I rang my ISP on the 6th of January to enquire where the matter stood, ie, was I in a queue or on a list or what but no one seemed to know.
    The connection was a bit erratic from the 29th of December with outages of less than an hour occuring every few hours until the 3rd of January but from then on, the outages have diminished markedly with some being just a few minutes which just happened as I am writing this.

I replied to their email and thanked them profusely for their complete and total lack of service and to congratulate who ever didnt call or come for doing it so successfully !!!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-01-17 at 03:59 PM.

OSIRUS (27-01-17)