Thread: 4G, 3G and phone now 2 G is gone.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default 4G, 3G and phone now 2 G is gone.

I have a cheap ALDI sort of smart phone that has dual SIM slots, one was intended for 3G the other 2G or another carrier.
    It was my understanding that 2G was really a text/audio band (low capacity?) and not intended for 'streaming' etc so if I put a 3G SIM in it from another carrier, it should still function just to make or receive calls or not?

The other thing that had me curious is now Aldi are saying their phones work on 4G but the one I have I didnt think was designed to operate on the 4G network or does it?
    I do know my area is now on the 700mhz? 4G network because the 4G Internet dongle I have wont pick it up.

I dont use the mobiles except as an emergency and I dont want to find that what I have now wont work because of changes to the systems in use.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Just gone thru this with my neighbours ALDI based Bauhn phone 2, it is also Dual Sim 3G & 2G (the second sim slot will only do 2G if the 1st one is using 3G), & it is working fine without the 2G network as all ALDI sims do 3G anyway. He only uses one sim.
    Quite frankly I'm surprised the phone has lasted as long as it has, it throws some tantrums every now & again. We found the best way to sort it out is remove the battery wait 30 seconds & put it back in then it's good to go for another month or so.

The phone he has is not capable of 4G, so to do 4G he would need a new phone. He doesn't care; he just wants to make phone calls & at the moment the phone is still doing that.

You maybe able to put another carriers sim in the phone & have it work just fine. I don't think they are network locked, ALDI use the Telstra network so a Telstra sim will likely work.

If it's working on the 3G network you won't need to replace it soon, the 3G network is around for a fair bit longer & available anywhere you could get 4G anyway & a few more places that don't do 4G yet.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (01-01-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

I think mine is the same as your friends Tiny so basically the second SIM slot is useless now which is not unexpected or a problem.
    The loss of 2G hasnt changed anything that I am aware of but then I havent used it either since 2G ended.
    Half the time I find changes have been implemented and I havent been aware of it until I find it doesnt work anymore so now I ask about this sort of thing when I think of it to try and not be caught out with a lump of plastic.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Did you get hounded with SMS & email messages from ALDI telling you that you will need to buy a new phone to use 3G when 2G shut down as my neighbour did?

Had him in a panic, yet I confirmed that his phone was a 3G phone & now that it still works he is convinced as well. lol
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

No Tiny, not one single message from Aldi or anyone else for that matter.