Thread: Panasonic 50" VT20 crackling/static noise

Thanks

Default Panasonic 50" VT20 crackling/static noise

I purchased a Panasonic 50" vt20 tv in 2010.
    Its been going great guns and its been used moderately over its life time.

2 nights ago my wife was watching netflix on it for 30 minutes before she called me over to listen to the TV making a 'funny noise'.
    She said all of a sudden it made a loud static electricity noise/crackling noise.
    When I listened there was an obvious crackling noise like when you take off a jumper and have static electricity zap everywhere. I tried to identify the source but it seems to be random anywhere on the top and bottom edges of the screen. I cant identify if its on the sides but very sure that its all along the top and bottom. It seems if I press on the metal tabs covering the ribbons going to the top of the screen the crackling gets worse in that spot for a bit.

I've opened up the tv and checked for obvious bad caps. I've also checked all the screws were tight enough for grounding (I'd thought that might be an issue) Unfortunately nothing obvious to fix. I've checked the solder joints on the power supply board and flowed through a few joints as they looked questionable. The problem hasnt been fixed

The other symptom I've noticed (although I guess I could have caused it after my powersupply disconnection and re-connection) is that when turning the TV off the screen goes dark and usually it would click off after a number of seconds. However now it seems to remain in a semi-powered state and only occasionally switches properly off?

The TV is still fully functional that I've noticed and no lines or artifacts on the screen. However these noises have definitely never been there before and it always used to turn off properly.

Anyone got any ideas? Googling for Plasma tv and static/crackling noise I've only found about 5 other references to this problem and no solutions

Look Here ->
    Thanks

OK well I thought since it sounded like arcing that it might show if I turned the lights off and made the room dark. Turns out I was right.
    All along the edges of the screen glass there is arcing to the metal frame. There isnt one given spot and it seems random where the sparks appear.

Anyone got any ideas on the why and how?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by infra View Post
    OK well I thought since it sounded like arcing that it might show if I turned the lights off and made the room dark. Turns out I was right.
    All along the edges of the screen glass there is arcing to the metal frame. There isnt one given spot and it seems random where the sparks appear.

Anyone got any ideas on the why and how?
    How much dust built up is there? Humid or dry conditions? Can't say I've had it yet except for an SC board that had enough dust and grime for the dust to become conductive and start arcing.

Thanks

Thanks for replying

There really isnt that much dust at all on the whole TV.
    Also since the arcing is basically behind the plastic bezel all around the screen I doubt there is dust there.
    I'll try give it a blow out anyway and see if it makes any difference.